Which contraceptive pill is best

Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Clomid, Herbals, Yoga, Acupuncture, Oils, etc

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Re: Which contraceptive pill is best

Postby Amy89 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. GP said I have to come off pill and not have any hormones as my blood pressure is high. Put me on metformin instead.
Amy89

Postby Hols969 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:44 pm

Ah ok - where you tested for insulin resistance or just put on it?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Amy89 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:27 pm

No I have had no tests recently, only couple blood tests which were clear as far as i know and an ultrasound in 2012 which was last time she put me on it but I couldnt deal with nausea so stopped taking them. Said she would put me on it today to make me have periods. Iv never had problems having periods though, my problem was heavy/painful periods and sometimes bleeding for 4/6 weeks.
Amy89

Postby sunnygirl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi I'm a bit confused as to what to do for the best! I have been on yasmin for over 2years but the last few months have suffered with spotting and low moods. I have been to the doctor who has switched me onto Cilest. The only issue I have been on it for 4 days and keep feeling sick and light headed. So now am thinking should I just stay on Yasmin and do back to back on packs. As when I did do this once I didn't spot for the next month. Plus I have been going through a house sale so wondering if that could be responsible for mood! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks all x
sunnygirl

Postby Meringoo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:32 pm

Hey,

You have a few options in this situation:

1) Stay on Cilest and it will likely give you better cycle control but won't be as good for your skin as Yasmin. The nausea will pass.

2) Take a break for one month and re-start Yasmin when your period comes (or 28 days later from now if you don't get regular periods and you're certain not to be pregnant).

3) Stay on Cilest for one (or 3) cycle(s) and then go back on Yasmin, which will have a similar effect to the above.

4) Go back on Yasmin and even take 2-3 packs back to back (you will probably get some breakthrough bleeding or spotting, but this may improve).

If Yasmin has been suitable for you, it may just be a little break that you need.

Cilest is ok for PCOS but not as good for acne or hair issues as Yasmin. The progestogen is more potent than that in Yasmin, so you may feel it gives you better cycle control, BUT if your low mood is related to hormones, it probably won't do much else. It's probably stress-related if you've been fine on Yasmin for 2 years.

Hope this helps. xx
Meringoo

Postby sunnygirl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:41 am

Thank you so much Meringoo! You have done what I wanted the doctor to do spell it out in simple terms!! I have literally just started the first pack of cilest I'm 6 days in. I'm more inclined to have a break for a month but would this upset the cycle a lot if I stopped now on cilest? Also I presume I'd have a bleed so do I start the packet on the bleed day or after the 28day? Or would you just switch straight back onto Yasmin now and take 2 packets back to back?

Thank you so much for the advice x
sunnygirl

Postby bvgm88 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi, I have a question the Dianette pills that I have expired in Jan 2014. I went to the GUM clinic and they said they didn't have it. Do you think these expired pills still work? IS less than a month
bvgm88

Postby BumbleBee_x » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi, I posted on here a while ago asking for advice about whether I should go on the pill for my symptoms (mainly acne and hirsutism). The acne is mild but can be quite severe on my face at times. I finally decided yasmin would probably suit me best, but went to a different doctor today in hope of better advice and he told me that yasmin is not prescribed on the NHS. He also said he wouldn't recommend dianette because the risks probably outweigh the benefits in my case since my symptoms are mild. He said it would be best if I tried a pill that isn't so strong to start with so he prescribed me with Rigevidon. After reading about this one when I got home, it seems that if anything it actually causes acne and is best avoided in PCOS????
BumbleBee_x

Postby sunnygirl » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:08 am

Hiya, Yasmin is most definitely prescribed on nhs!! It's more costly than other pills but is the best at controlling hair and acne. I would go back to another doctor and say you want Yasmin. Good luck!
sunnygirl

Postby BumbleBee_x » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:21 am

Maybe it's different in Scotland? He said it's not prescribed because there are cheaper alternatives which work just as well.
BumbleBee_x

Postby sunnygirl » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:15 pm

Maybe I'm in hertfordshire. Hopefully Meringoo will pick this up as she is a wealth of information on the pill brands.
sunnygirl

Postby BumbleBee_x » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:56 pm

Just found this thread - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28605. Looks like it's either down to the individual GP surgery or just not prescribed in Scotland at all. Thanks for your reply anyway. :) Does anyone know if it would be worth trying Rigevidon or is it best avoided?
BumbleBee_x

Postby Meringoo » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:48 pm

Hello! Here I am!

No way...Rigevidon is Microgynon 30, which is a highly androgenic pill, so the opposite of what you need for managing acne and hirsuitism.

You need one of the following, and you can argue your case for this by pointing out the fact you need an anti-androgenic pill to help your symptoms (in order of effectiveness and preference if you're a PCOS lady):

- Dianette (a.k.a Cyproterone acetate w/ eithinylestradiol) *often used as a 3-6 month treatment before moving to Yasmin
- Yasmin (no generic currently available) *can be easier to tolerate than Dianette
- Marvelon (gedarel 30/150)
- Mercilon (gedarel 20/150) - not as effective as the above
- Cilest
- Femodene

You have every right to say NO to a pill. You deserve a better treatment because you have symptoms and a condition that require more than a standard brand of pill.

Hope this helps xxx
Meringoo

Postby BumbleBee_x » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:44 am

Thanks so much Meringoo. I won't be taking that then! Looks like yet another trip to the doctor about this. I could ask for Marvelon then, since he advises against Dianette for me and can't give me Yasmin. Although, he said did say I might be able to go on Yasmin privately. Can you take Yasmin for as long as you want?
BumbleBee_x

Postby Meringoo » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:10 pm

Hi,
Yes there's no time limit with Yasmin. Why can't he give you Yasmin?! Yasmin IS prescribed on the NHS, but if it's just not on that particular sugery's formulary, I'd consider changing to a different GP surgery! Alternatively, you could go to a sexual health/family planning clinic and ask for Yasmin there and go armed with knowledge about your PCOS needs.

Marvelon is a good pill, but it can't help you as much as Yasmin or Dianette.

There's no need to pay privately for Yasmin. xx
Meringoo

PreviousNext

Return to Medications & Complementary Therapies