Which contraceptive pill is best

Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Clomid, Herbals, Yoga, Acupuncture, Oils, etc

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Re: Which contraceptive pill is best

Postby lollyboo90 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:13 pm

Hi

I have read through the numerous pages in the last week or so as my PCOS has been on my mind. I had the implant implanon removed and had a break from any contraception for 3-4 months, the good news, I had 3 periods in that time albeit 28 days, 35 days and 42 days apart.

I then decided to go back on the pill, my GP prescribed Loestrin 20 assuring me it was fine for PCOS however upon a pill check and change of GP surgery my BP was 155/90 and so I was taken off and given cerazette. I had no complaints other than debilitating migraines, 6 in 5 weeks!! So today back to my GP and I have been given Micronor!! I was in tears about side affects of Cerazette acne migraines and also, in general my hairy stomach!

It says Micronor is not best for PCOS so why have they given me it? I am unable to take combined due to my blood pressure and so PoPs are the best option, but she said I was limited in choice due to weight and blood pressure.

I really don't know what to do, I am booked in for a whole host of blood tests and have a double appointment in 5 weeks to discuss things further.

Can anyone help suggest what IS available to me that may help rather than hinder my symptoms!!

Any help is really appreciated :)
lollyboo90

Postby Meringoo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:48 pm

If you absolutely can't get the combined pill (Loestrin has been known to cause high BP), then I would stick to a progestogen-only pill (the hormone is such a small dosage, making it safer than a combined pill) as it is oestrogen-free which is what sends your BP high), AND ask for an anti-androgen treatment such as Spironolactone. You will probably need to get yourself referred to an endocrinologist for this. Don't be afraid to be pushy with doctors, and go armed with information.

Remember it takes about 6 months for side effects to settle down on progestogen-only pills. Cerazette would be the best for PCOS to be honest. xx
Meringoo

Postby lollyboo90 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:18 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

I was a bit surprised, as all I had said was I'd been struggling with migraines and have been utterly exhausted but the tiredness was before cerazette, instantly she said to stop taking it. I have 6 weeks left of cerazette so am tempted to finish them and see if it settles?

I will definitely ask about other treatments,, she seems fairly good as is bothering to do tests that none of my old GPs ever did! However, she did say I should think about the mirena coil?! I wondered what your opinion on that is? I feel as though I'm drowning in an ocean of contradicting information from Gps and have no idea what to do...sorry for moaning!
lollyboo90

Postby Meringoo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:53 pm

You'd be better off giving Cerazette a decent chance (I love it - it has changed my life for the better!!!) before considering the Mirena because a) Cerazette stops ovulation (better for PCOS) whereas Mirena IUS doesn't (therefore more likely to get ovarian cysts) and b) the negative side effects are quicker to reverse by stopping taking a pill than having an IUS removed. Also, for me (from experience) c) the pain of insertion of an IUD is something to consider. Some women don't feel much, others (like me) feel it like your insides are being ripped out. So...my advice is to stick to pills as they will be better for PCOS. If you were suffering from constant, heavy bleeding, I'd say yes, try the Mirena. But if not, please give Cerazette at least 3 months. Headaches are normal when starting hormones. Acne is a sife effect of progestogens - my acne is BETTER on Cerazette than on Cilest combined pill. It's trial and error... xx

Some general info:

http://www.fpa.org.uk/helpandadvice/contraception/ius

http://www.fpa.org.uk/helpandadvice/con ... nlypillpop

http://www.talkchoice.co.uk/

Specific (brand) info:

http://www.mirena-us.com/index.php

http://www.cerazette.co.uk/
Meringoo

Postby Meringoo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:55 pm

P.S. You're not moaning! We know what it's like. Some GPs are clued up on contraception for contraceptive benefit. Some (less, it seems), are clued up on contraception for PCOS management.
Meringoo

Postby Fiano85 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:58 pm

Hi ladies. I just needed your advice as after reading all these posts you all seem to know more about the contraceptive pill than my gp :lol:
I was diagnosed with pcos 11 years ago at the age of 16 and was on dianette for around 3 years before going onto cilest for the last 8. Today I went to the gyno as I have had problems with persistent vaginal tearing for the last 2.5 years and I'm dry as anything with no sex drive. Today the gyno suggested (after prompting) perhaps microgynon, however I reminded them I originally went on the pill for pcos they suggested jasmin, but I've heard mixed reviews of this and lots of people saying they suffered vaginal dryness and low see drive which is everything I'm trying to sort out. Can anyone suggest any others which maybe best? My gp will only ask me what i think i should have! I'm certain I've reduced oestrogen levels which is causing the dry itching and tearing during intercourse with my husband but no-one will check my levels. I really need advice, whilst this has been going on ages, although on the upside the gyno said childbirth will sort out my reoccurring vaginal tear (we're not ttc) so that's something to look forward to! ...in the meantime I'm been given some smashing dilators to try! :lol: :lol:
Fiano85

Postby Hols969 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:06 am

Oh goodness poor you, I think a lot of the pills can reduce sex drive though, I know I dont have a high one any more (but I have been married nearly 18 years so Im sure thats a factor too!). Im sure Meringoo will be able to advise you when she has a min as she has done lots of research on them.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Meringoo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Hello!

Vaginal dryness and tearing is usually from progestogen excess, as is a lack of libido, however the latter can be an effect of too much oestrogen (and lower androgens). I think it is probably that you should try a different combined pill. Cilest is usually good, but if in recent years you have had this problem (and it isn't down to anything psychological or any other physical issues), then a different progestogen (but still an oestrogen dominant pill) might help. Your choices are Yasmin, Dianette (again), Marvelon/Gedarel (30/150), and Femodene/Katya/Millinette (30/75). In brackets are the dosages as some pills are called the same thing but the oestrogen level is lower (20mg instead of the standard 30mg).

Avoid pills with levenorgestrel and norithisterone.

I hope this helps!
Meringoo

Postby Fiano85 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:00 pm

Thank you so much ladies for your responses.
I`m sorry for my late reply but i couldnt log on for some reason..thankfully i``ve sorted it now. Think all tese hormones have made me loose my memory! :lol:

I`ve just taken my first yasmin pill today.. we shall wait and see. I hope it helps as my doctor is pushing for me to have the Fenton proceedure if the vaginal tears are still happening in three months when i go back to the hospital. Im not so keen. This is something women usually have when theyve had complications with their stich up after childbirth :cry:

thank you so much for your info! fingers crossed! x
Fiano85

Postby brooke » Wed May 08, 2013 3:30 pm

Hi Meringoo

You seem to have a wealth of knowledge around the pills! Glad someone does as my GP seems useless.
I have posted under a new topic - "severe headaches with Dianette". I wonder if you could take a look and give some advice on what pill I should look at trying?

From looking at the posts here I am not happy to be on dianette as it is giving me bad headaches (migraines, no aura but feel very sick with them, can't wait 3 months to see if they settle as they are too painful) and it seems you can't take it long term anyway so seems little point in persevering! It seems I maybe should try Yasmin or Cilest next? What is the difference between these? is one less likely to give me headaches than the other?

When I got headaches a year ago (pre PCOS diagnosis) the doc recommended Cerazette but as that is progesterone only I guess it won't help my acne/excess hair

Thanks
brooke

Postby yellowpoppygirl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:01 am

Hi there, This is a message for Meringoo...

I have pcos, have taken metformin 3 times a day for years now. But I have these mid cycle bleeds that I wanted to sort out. I asked my GP to put me on Yasmin, but I got a severe migraine on it so had to come off. I also have this blood clotting disorder that many GPs do not know about MTHFR which made me extra nervous. So now the GP has put me on Micronor - Norethiterone. Ive been on it for 2 weeks now. I feel much calmer on it (I am prone to ups and downs esp around mid cycle - must be hormones going up and down) but I feel like I have lost all libido. Its like I am a sexual (I wonder how many women are out there that have been on the pill for years and don't realise its the pill and not them!!).

So what I wanted to ask is - is there a pill that you would recommend that is less risky for someone like me (eg blod clotting risk) that will not make me loose my libido?
Apart from that - my mid cycle bleed or spotting has not happened...

One thing I am concerned of is that progesterone only pills can make you hairy and loose hair on your head (which I have had some of in the past)....

I may copy and send this to your inbox too.

Thanks in advance - ps - my sister is on Cerazette - which she swears by, but she does not have pcos like me... I asked my GP about this and she said that it can make you spottier ???? And she has had less complaints about Norethisterone - Micronor.

Failing all of this I think Id rather have the midcycle spotting rather than no libido... at least I will want to have sex... On this pill, I don't spot but its does not help because I have no desire! I also have developed numbness in my fingers
yellowpoppygirl

Postby tlcpcos » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:00 pm

hi not sure if anyone has been on this post but il post any way as i really need advice
i am 20 have pcos and endo and adenomiosis sorry not great at spelling
i am on metformin 1500mg a day
i have tryed all sorts of controception i have had
coil x 3 kept slipping out
implant x 2
cerrasett made me bleed bad
microgon bled
decopeptal or 9 months but had to come off it
viginal ring gave me horrible cramps

basically i pritty much bleed on most controception i am really struggling at the moment i am on the evra patch and 15mg norethisterone a day
but will need to come off it as i have one swollen breast and my doctor says its the hoemones so please if anyone has any help or advice i would love to hear from you many thanks tia xxxxx
tlcpcos

Postby Meringoo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:55 pm

brooke wrote:Hi Meringoo

You seem to have a wealth of knowledge around the pills! Glad someone does as my GP seems useless.
I have posted under a new topic - "severe headaches with Dianette". I wonder if you could take a look and give some advice on what pill I should look at trying?

From looking at the posts here I am not happy to be on dianette as it is giving me bad headaches (migraines, no aura but feel very sick with them, can't wait 3 months to see if they settle as they are too painful) and it seems you can't take it long term anyway so seems little point in persevering! It seems I maybe should try Yasmin or Cilest next? What is the difference between these? is one less likely to give me headaches than the other?

When I got headaches a year ago (pre PCOS diagnosis) the doc recommended Cerazette but as that is progesterone only I guess it won't help my acne/excess hair

Thanks

Hi there! I would say Yasmin is the best out of those two, and if you still get severe headaches, changing to Cilest or a pill with less oestrogen (e.g. a 20mg brand) may be an option. I personally find Cerazette to be fantastic. It hasn't worsened my skin, my hair is better than ever and I feel great. It's worth giving things a try.
Meringoo

Postby Meringoo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:02 am

tlcpcos wrote:hi not sure if anyone has been on this post but il post any way as i really need advice
i am 20 have pcos and endo and adenomiosis sorry not great at spelling
i am on metformin 1500mg a day
i have tryed all sorts of controception i have had
coil x 3 kept slipping out
implant x 2
cerrasett made me bleed bad
microgon bled
decopeptal or 9 months but had to come off it
viginal ring gave me horrible cramps

basically i pritty much bleed on most controception i am really struggling at the moment i am on the evra patch and 15mg norethisterone a day
but will need to come off it as i have one swollen breast and my doctor says its the hoemones so please if anyone has any help or advice i would love to hear from you many thanks tia xxxxx

I have PCOS and endometriosis so I can understand where you're coming from. I am on Cerazette and it has sorted everything out for me. I was offered these options to help with pain and constant bleeding:

- Mirena IUS PLUS daily norethisterone tablets
- 2 x Cerazette pills daily
2x combined pills daily (with a strong progestogen such a levenorgestrel, so Microgynon would be an option)
- tri-cycling a strong combined pill (microgynon, loestrin 30, norinyl)

I know it is really difficult. Unfortunately sometimes you have to stick with something longer than you'd like to in order to see any benefit. I know in the past on Cerazette I was in agony and bleeding loads (that was the 2nd time I tried it), and so I gave up after 5 months. This time round, and I've been on it 1.5 years, it has been perfect.
I hope this helps. Sometimes you need to direct your doctor a bit... xx
Meringoo

Postby Meringoo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:03 am

yellowpoppygirl wrote:Hi there, This is a message for Meringoo...

I have pcos, have taken metformin 3 times a day for years now. But I have these mid cycle bleeds that I wanted to sort out. I asked my GP to put me on Yasmin, but I got a severe migraine on it so had to come off. I also have this blood clotting disorder that many GPs do not know about MTHFR which made me extra nervous. So now the GP has put me on Micronor - Norethiterone. Ive been on it for 2 weeks now. I feel much calmer on it (I am prone to ups and downs esp around mid cycle - must be hormones going up and down) but I feel like I have lost all libido. Its like I am a sexual (I wonder how many women are out there that have been on the pill for years and don't realise its the pill and not them!!).

So what I wanted to ask is - is there a pill that you would recommend that is less risky for someone like me (eg blod clotting risk) that will not make me loose my libido?
Apart from that - my mid cycle bleed or spotting has not happened...

One thing I am concerned of is that progesterone only pills can make you hairy and loose hair on your head (which I have had some of in the past)....

I may copy and send this to your inbox too.

Thanks in advance - ps - my sister is on Cerazette - which she swears by, but she does not have pcos like me... I asked my GP about this and she said that it can make you spottier ???? And she has had less complaints about Norethisterone - Micronor.

Failing all of this I think Id rather have the midcycle spotting rather than no libido... at least I will want to have sex... On this pill, I don't spot but its does not help because I have no desire! I also have developed numbness in my fingers

Hi sweetie - I have replied to your inbox message. xx
Meringoo

PreviousNext

Return to Medications & Complementary Therapies