microgynon?

Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Clomid, Herbals, Yoga, Acupuncture, Oils, etc

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

microgynon?

Postby anon7 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:45 am

first apptmnt since finding out i have pcos and been told to take the contraceptive pill, microgynon...anyone else take this/find it effective?
anon7

Postby Hols969 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:30 pm

You need to pm Meringoo as she is the pill queen and knows which are good and which are bad.

Yasmin is a good one tho for pcos symptoms.
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby kittysam » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:40 pm

I started on it before my diagnosis. Not an ideal pill for PCOS and its normally one pushed on you by GPs because its the cheapest! Dianette seems to be the gold standard for PCOS but there are lots of others which work well if it doesn't agree with you.
kittysam

Postby Verve » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:37 pm

Not that I want to put you off but I was extremely poorly taking Microgynon and was put on to Femodene. It just didn't agree with me at all
Verve

Postby anon7 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:35 pm

thanks girls!microgynon sounds like its no good at all... but when i spoke to my gp she said it was up to me if i went on the pill and when i said i wanted to and what types there were she said it made no difference which one i took and didnt even give me a choice just prescribed me microgynon ! i swear i have a reallllly bad doctor!? can i go back with this info and ask for a different pill? nightmare!!!
anon7

Postby Hols969 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Doesnt sound great, there are pills that are good for pcos ladies and some that arent. The mini pill is rubbish as it doesnt control the symptoms. Sometimes GP's dont exactly help thats for sure!!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby anon7 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:11 pm

lets be honest gp's are really quite bad ! im gonna ask to go on yasmin as that seems to have quite a positive reponse on here, thanks for the advice :)
anon7

Postby dramaqueen27 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:58 pm

I tried about 7 or 8 types of pills before settling on Yasmin. Best BCP ever IMHO!
Dianette was great apart from the lack of sex drive and the fact that now most GP's only want you on it as a short term treatment for acne.
Rachel (28)
Dx PCOS 2000
dramaqueen27

Postby Meringoo » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:55 am

Just wanted to add...

Microgynon is a pill which uses levenorgestrel, which is a very androgenic progestogen. With PCOS it is far better to use a pill with an ANTI-ANDROGENIC progestrogen, as this will be far more helpful to control symptoms, such as acne, excess hair, hair loss and weight. Which Microgynon will control your cycle and prevent ovulation like any other combined pill, it won't do you any other favours. GPs sometimes think that "a pill is a pill is a pill..." but this isn't true. Microgynon is a first-line contraceptive pill because it is cheap and older. But it certainly isn't the best for PCOS, which requires anti-androgenic treatment, whihc comes from more oestrogenic pills too.

You really need to be on either Yasmin, Marvelon, Cilest, Femodene or Brevinor/Ovysmen - in order of effect on PCOS.

Dianette can be used for a few months as an anti-androgenic kickstart, with another pill, often Yasmin, taking over after that.

Cerazette, the progestogen-only pill is a good POP due to the fact that it uses desogestrel (found in Marvelon), inhibits ovulation in most cases, and causes less problems than older POPs, but these pills in general are not much use for PCOS because the condition desperately needs oestrogen + anti-androgenic progrestogen to be an effective treatment.

In my own experience, Yasmin has been the ultimate PCOS pill, and I also use it to control my endometriosis (whole different story!), which it does fairly well. I have less undesireable side effects with Yasmin. Marvelon is a close second, and Cilest would be my third choice.

Pills to avoid (and don't feel scared about refusing a brand if your GP isn't clued up!!):

Microgynon/Ovranette/Levest
Loestrin 20 + 30
Norimin
Norinyl-1

I hope this is helpful. xx
Meringoo

Postby Hols969 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:08 pm

See I said she knew the facts !!!!!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Meringoo » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:31 pm

Haha cheers Holly!

I'm always happy to help re: pills, since I know probably too much due to my rather bumpy health ride! And everybody is welcome to PM me if they need any advice. I'm not as well up on Metformin or Spiro, having been either refused or not offered them, but contraceptive pills have become "my thing" lol!

Hope you are well as you read this xx :)
Meringoo

Postby anon7 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:55 pm

thank you so much meringoo! great advice, just wish my doctor was the same... saw her today and asked to go on yasmin, she really wasnt happy about it saying how 'all pills are the same' and got offended how i would rather take advice from the internet rather than her, then when i finally persuaded her to write me a prescription she was really arsey with me and seemed genuinely annoyed. BUT anywhoo i got the yasmin and wont be gong back to that doctor after so much fuss over one pill! thanks again for the advice :) x
anon7

Postby Meringoo » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:45 pm

You're welcome! Glad you got what you need! I'd write a letter of complaint as she isn't following the rules for prescribing combined pills.

Dianette and Yasmin are the 2 combined pills that should be prescribed for PCOS management. Marvelon and Cilest are often favoured if the other 2 don't work. Dianette should be used for a maximum of 6 months before switching to Yasmin etc. x
Meringoo

Re:

Postby la_shezzatron » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:25 pm

dramaqueen27 wrote:I tried about 7 or 8 types of pills before settling on Yasmin. Best BCP ever IMHO!
Dianette was great apart from the lack of sex drive and the fact that now most GP's only want you on it as a short term treatment for acne.

Hey, I was just wondering if you are still using Yasmin? You mentioned you lacked a sex drive on Dianette, I'm experiencing that atm and am looking for another pill to move to (been on Dianette for 6 months anyway so its about time to switch) - would you still say Yasmin is the one to move to now? x
la_shezzatron

Re: microgynon?

Postby Meringoo » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:10 pm

Hello,

You could try Yasmin as it would be the best for PCOS symptoms, but if that doesn't seem to help your sex drive, (and I know how frustrating that can be!!) Marvelon or Cilest would be good options as they are slightly more androgenic (but not bad for PCOS acne and hair) and so the libido-killing effect is lessened... It's a tricky thing really because all combined pills can alter your libido but usually those with a high progestogen potency (Lo-estrin...Microgynon...) OR a strong anti-androgenic action tend to make this problem worse.

I'm actually on Cerazette progestogen-only pill (desogestrel 75mg - the progestogen in Marvelon) and love it. I have endometriosis as well as PCOS and it has thankfully stopped my constant bleeding and pain. Hasn't affected my libido AT ALL and I don't get sore, achy boobs like I did on combined pills, so I love it!!!

Hope this helps xx
Meringoo

Next

Return to Medications & Complementary Therapies