8MM lining - Cancer?

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

8MM lining - Cancer?

Postby louise1 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:34 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping that some of you lovely ladies will be able to offer some advise.....

As a result of my PCO I only have one period a year - if that. As we are not trying for baby it doesn't really bother me however, for the past 2 months I've experienced abnormal spotting but I have never had spotted in the 10 years i've known about having PCO. I've also had cramps, lower back ache and a heavy pressure feeling ( I am defo not pregnant, nor ovulating or near AF).

My last period was over 14 months ago and i have never been on the pill. I went to my doc about the new abnormal spotting who sent me for an ultrasound. I had an internal one and they said my lining was 8mm thick and would write a full report of her findings and send it back to my doctor in 7 days but wouldn't say anything else. After doing a bit of research online I've seen a lining this thick could indicate cancer, so a bit worried. I did a ovulation test after the scan to see if I was infact nearing ovulation to see if this is why my lining was 8mm but was negative.

Has anyone else been through something similar?

Thanks
louise1

Re: 8MM lining - Cancer?

Postby Hols969 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:48 pm

You should have 4 periods a year to keep your uterus healthy and there are risks if you don't so you need to force a bleed, it explains why your lining is so thick. I would ask for provera to force a owed and also ask for a smear as well, it is a slim risk so its worth getting it checked. Sadly some gp's still seem to suggest not having periods is lucky but it isn't and they shouldn't ignore it. I'm on the combined contraceptive and only break 4 times a year as it keeps my pcos symptoms at bay
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby louise1 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:14 pm

My appointment is not until the end of next week to talk about the results of the scan. The only thing they asked was if I was on the pill ( I'm not) as they thought that could be the reason for the thicken lining. I then asked is 8mm normal and she just said 'well, if depends where you are with you cycle but as you haven't had one for over a year it's hard to say". The thing that's worrying me is the spotting too. I did ask am I spotting due to not having a period for over a year and she replied 'no, that wouldn't cause spotting'.

What do you think the doctor will suggest doing?
louise1

Postby Hols969 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:57 pm

Lots of pcos ladies have spotting and no period so I wouldnt be overly concerned - lots of things can affect it like weight, stress etc, it could well be your body trying to have a period. I honestly wouldn't worry too much as it sounds a typical pcos thing to me. One thing I would say is the scanners are not really qualified to answer your questions really especially if they are not that knowledgeable on pcos, we are special ladies! I think they will give you something to force a bleed and shed the lining (expect lots of clots when you get your period as well)

Make sure you take something every three months to force a bleed as they may dismiss it but it's really important to shed the lining to avoid any issues

Let me know how the appointment goes, try not it overly worry xx
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby twinstwice22 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:09 am

I second the Provera every 3 months or the Mirena coil. My GP was of the opinion that the lack of periods wasn't an issue unless I was trying to get PG. I started spotting n had some odd bleeding. On scan I was told I had complex Endometrial hyperplasia, basically very thick lining due to lack of periods. Went for my coil fitting n he popped a camera in. I'm so lucky he did this even I could see something was wrong. So I'm currently 6 weeks post op from a total hysterectomy including ovaries for Endometrial cancer caused by what he says is poor PCOS management. So I would say to anyone with less than 4 bleeds a year to have them induced.

I'm not saying this to frighten you but air your concerns. Smear test will not detect womb cancer they have to take a lining biopsy. I would tell any woman with or without PCOS to get abnormal bleeding check out.
twinstwice22

Return to Other problems