Nervous about doctors appointment

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Nervous about doctors appointment

Postby Poggypog25 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:42 pm

Hi, I am new to the forum, so I apologise if this is in the wrong place, and sorry my post is so long!

So here is my story so far... I was always a skinny child, until I got to 9/10 years old, I didn't change my diet or exercise, I started to put on weight. When I got to 11, I started to suffer from mild acne, and at 12 I started my period. At 13, my mum decided to take me to the doctors as she was concerned. To begin with, the doctor thought I may have a thyroid problem so they did lots of blood tests, eventually they sent me for a scan, and I was diagnosed with PCOS.

I was only 15 at the time, so the doctor didn't tell me much about the condition, except that I may struggle to conceive children when I was older, which at 15 I didn't think about much anyway!

I started to get my diet on the go, and went to the gym 4 times a week, I lost over 4 stone, and at 16 (almost 17) I unexpectedly found myself pregnant! I decided to continue with my pregnancy, but my pcos was never mentioned throughout, although my midwife wasnt very nice anyway.

So anyway, back to today. I am now 25 years old and have a 7 year old son. I have never had my pcos looked at or discussed since the doctor diagnosed me with it 10 years ago. I have booked a doctors appointment for Thursday to talk things through with them. I suffer from anxiety and I am worrying about the appointment as I feel like I am wasting their time and I am not sure what to expect.

I have now gained weight, my periods are irregular, I still suffer from mild acne, I suffer from the hair growth, I have to pluck my hair on my chin everyday, which makes my skin sensitive, and red raw. I occasionally get stabbing pains in my ovaries and they often feel numb, especially before my period. But the fact I only get occasional pain makes me wonder if it pcos?! My partner and I haven't used contraception for almost 4 years and I have never fell pregnant. Is this definitely pcos?! If anyone has any advice or a similar experience I would love someone to talk too.
Poggypog25

Re: Nervous about doctors appointment

Postby wrigglepup » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:29 pm

Hello and welcome,
Sounds like me at 25, no children thou, try not to worry about seeing your doctor. Hopefully they will give you lots of help and advice. I seem to have the odd pain around my ovaries too!
I never new I had PCOS until late 30's not until I came off the pill and I had no periods & I wasn't pregnant either. As for all the weight struggles , irregular periods and excess hair I just thought it was me. X
wrigglepup

Return to Other problems