Can you still have a period with pcos?

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Can you still have a period with pcos?

Postby proverbs girl » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:33 am

Are there any of you out there who still get their period regularly?

I was recently diagnosed with insulin resistance. Once I did research on it, I came across pcos and from the sound of it I think I have it, however my doctor won't take me seriously because I'm not extremely overweight (I'm 5'5" and 155 lbs.) and I get my period monthly. Can any of you relate?
proverbs girl

Re: Can you still have a period with pcos?

Postby Hols969 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:26 am

Yes I did but rarely ovulated so periods don't actually mean that much as you can ovulate without one too.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby proverbs girl » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:35 am

That's very interesting! That just tells me that my doctor does not know much about pcos or the period for that matter because she said it was impossible to have bleeding if you don't ovulate. Thank you for your response, it is greatly appreciated!

Also, if you don't mind, do you know how to interpret hormones? I had my progesterone checked at day 21 and it was 3.6 (I thought it seemed a little low), my estradiol was 114 and my DHEA-S was 292.
proverbs girl

Postby Hols969 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:42 am

I presumed a bleed meant ovulation, unfortunately a lot of gps are clueless. Try taking your temperature (fertilityfriends website) as this is the most accurate way for pcos ladies to see if they are ovulating.

Not that clued up on the hormone scores, maybe post in the ttc forum as I'm sure some ladies will be able to help.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby White Dragon » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:13 pm

I have a period roughly every two months. I did have a long time without having had one though but now they seem to have regulated.
White Dragon

Return to Other problems