Hypo attacks, negative diabetes tests

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Hypo attacks, negative diabetes tests

Postby LoisLane » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:51 am

Hello, I'm new to these forums and would really appreciate some opinions. I'm so frustrated with my GP, I've been in tears over the past week!

I was diagnosed with PCOS around 8 years ago (that was a battle in itself - my GP kept dismissing me and I ended up having to research my symptoms myself). I've never had any follow-up treatment since diagnosis. I'm 40 now.

Since I was a teenager I've had what I now think are hypoglycemic attacks (again after researching for myself). When I've not eaten for around 4-5 hours I go lightheaded, weak legs, trembling, headache, thirst, sweating, and always crave a mars bar. Throughout my teens I used to faint when I hadn't eaten for a while.

For the past 4-5 years, I've had fairly similar symptoms before and during my periods: a constant 'hangover' feeling with headache, thirst, nausea, fatigue and lightheadedness. I've been to my GP several times about this; been told it's 'menstruation headaches' and been on several oral contraceptives to try and manage it.

For the past several months, I've been having what I think are hypos during the night too: I wake up with a raging thirst, headache, soaked in sweat and nausea. Then I'm left with a 'hangover' for a day or two.

I went to my GP last week, and they did a HbA1c test and cholesterol test (for diabetes). I've never thought I have diabetes, but this is their standard response when I relay that I have PCOS. I've done a lot of research myself, and I think I have insulin resistance... but the GP hasn't tested for insulin levels in my blood. I've also researched what happens during my periods, and it seems the changes in oestrogen causes blood sugars to rise - resulting in similar symptoms to the ones I've been describing to my GP for years.

I phoned for the diabetes test results yesterday: the receptionist said "all normal and satisfactory", which I was expecting. I asked if there was a note from the GP for me to have any kind of follow-up or further tests, and she said No, they're happy with those results now.

I feel so frustrated and upset. It's such a battle with my GP. And now this week my boss has suggested that I'm not genuine because my symptoms are so seemingly random. No one is taking me seriously!
LoisLane

Re: Hypo attacks, negative diabetes tests

Postby Hols969 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:03 am

You need an IR test which is two blood tests with a sugary drink inbetween which will show what you body does. Make sure you eat something before bed as well as this can cause issues when waking if you blood sugar had dropped over night, so something slow release. Trust you own instincts and go back to the gp, the one blood type test can often come back normal. Also eat little and often as it helps from a pcos point of view (and IR).

Good luck
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby LoisLane » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:25 am

Thanks so much for your reply. I've made an appointment for tonight (despite them wanting me to go away...) so I will bring up your suggestion.
LoisLane

Postby Hols969 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:30 am

Good luck, you do need to be firm sometimes, they are quite willing to fob you off but most pcos ladies know far more than there gp !!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby LoisLane » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:33 am

Is it worth me asking to be referred, maybe to an endocrinologist?
LoisLane

Postby Hols969 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:48 am

I think an IR test needs doing first as you could wait for months and if it is IR then you do need to be on
Medication to control it tbh so I wouldn't muddy the water, if you gp says no to the test ask for his reasons as IR is a known symptom of pcos so we have a higher risk of being IR.
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby LoisLane » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:51 am

Thank you - I really appreciate your advice.

I'll come back tomorrow and report what happened :-)
LoisLane

Postby LoisLane » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:45 pm

Just wanted to report back on what happened with the doctor last night. I saw someone I've never seen before, and she actually took me seriously - properly listened to what I described, asked lots of questions and agreed when I ran through the research I'd done myself.

Hols, I mentioned that test to her that you suggested yesterday, and the doctor said she would go away and look into it further, then ring me today. (I think it's called OGTT?)

Anyway she phoned this morning and she's referred me to have the test you suggested at a biochemistry lab. I'll get an appointment through in the next few weeks. She also said she's going to look into any other tests they might be able to do at the practice.

A good result - I'm really pleased. Thank you for your advice.
LoisLane

Postby Hols969 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:54 pm

That's great news, I think its a glucose intolerance test but not sure what the official name is so could be that. Well done you and nice to hear you had a GP that listened to you!!
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby nat29 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:00 pm

I have something similar but not as bad.
When I'm due on or on my period I get really shaky like I need to eat something sugary or any food soon as, I feel hungry like I haven't eaten all day but it might have only been two hours since my last meal.
I feel so shaky and weak I can't concentrate on anything even being able to get my sentences out properly.
I've been on metformin for nearly two years and all the shakiness stopped.
I have now stopped taking met, it's only been about 9 days and it's all started again!
I stopped met as I just wanted a break and thought I'd try Angus cactus and see how I am without it, I was also starting to gain weight. I forgot about the shaky thing until it's stated this week.
I'm on my period and it stated just before I came on too, I feel hungry really quickly and feeling a little anxious about coming off met and now worried about this.
Any thoughts will be much appreciated
nat29

Return to Other problems