Does the coil works for women with pcos?

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Does the coil works for women with pcos?

Postby ma_torre » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:13 pm

Hi all,
I'm thinking on having the coil as other methods have not worked for me and make everything worse!
Since having my daughter my symptoms have improve and I don't want to risk it!
Has anyone here have the coil and if it works ?
Thanks in advance for your help ladies!!
ma_torre

Re: Does the coil works for women with pcos?

Postby Hols969 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:11 pm

Lots of ladies love it, I believe their is a hormone one and one without. Generally the hormone ones help control the pcos symptoms better. How old is your daughter now?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby ERC93 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:22 am

Hi,

I have recently had the Mirena coil fitted (the one with the hormone). I can't go on combined as I suffer from migraines and I was on cerazette but felt it was effecting my moods. As it's only been a week I can't see a change yet but (sorry TMI) I've had spotting on and off and period like cramps. But my periods were all over the place anyway and it takes about 6 months to a year to settle. The hormone is more localised to the cervix rather than with other hormonal contraception so my gynae said it may help with PCOS symptoms. Sorry I can't give a more definite answer but if I see a difference I'll let you know. I hope you find something that continues to help improve the symptoms :)
ERC93

Postby Meringoo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:20 pm

The Mirena IUS (hormonal coil) is being offered more to women with PCOS. As mentioned already, the progestogen is localised in the womb, so it may cause less side effects (or the side effects may not be the same) in comparison to other progestogen treatments (e.g. pills, implant, injection). It won't do anything to help improve symptoms such as acne or excess hair, because it just can't do that, with it being a progestogen on its own, without oestrogen. Also, despite the levels of progestogen released per day being very low, it is an androgenic progestogen. It is usually good for women who have troublesome periods, but if you're dealing with skin or hair issues, you'll most likely need to find a way to manage them separately.
Meringoo

Postby Calesmill » Sat May 24, 2014 9:14 pm

life with a mirena coil is heaven for me! i have low level periods, still horrendous pain, but a regular cycle, hardly any bleeding, i would recommend trying it.

i do know people who would say it doesn't work but it has for me.
good luck
Calesmill

Postby AmberJS » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:41 pm

Hell for me I'm afraid. Lots of pain. :(
AmberJS

Postby Laura56 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:29 pm

My doctor suggested it this morning, as it is progesterone only and Cerazette was hell for me (bled for 6 weeks straight). So the responses have been good to read!
Diagnosed 2000

Microgynon 2002
Cerazette 2010
Laura56

Return to Other problems