Thrush for the past 2 years......is it the pill or PCOS?

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Thrush for the past 2 years......is it the pill or PCOS?

Postby malibu7585 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:07 pm

Help

I've been suffering for Thrush on and off for nearly 3 years now.

I've been on Microgynon (gave me spots) and Cilest (made me very emotional!) and now I'm on Brevinor.

I take vitamins, wear cotton underwear, avoid perfumed shower gels etc, but it really is beginning to get me down.

Just wondering if anyone is in a similar situation and whether it can be related to PCOS or my pill?

I was offered a coil by the Gynaecologist but he didn't even look at me, and said it would stop my periods everything I think he just came up with an answer rather than a solution!

malibu7585

Re: Thrush for the past 2 years......is it the pill or PCOS?

Postby s_x » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:07 pm

AH I know how you feel! I get thrush so often it feels. I don't know why, as I wear cotton underwear, healthy diet, drink 'Yakult' as it has probiotics in, use 'Sanex' shower gel & bubble bath that has no soap in, I use special 'Femfresh' wash and now on probiotic vitamins that are suppose to be a good antioxidant and good for immune system. Sounds a bit crazy, but I've been trying to find a solution, as thrush is unpleasant... especially more than I should get it. It feels as if I'm always buying the 'Cannesten' pill over the counter.

I have told a few doctors but they haven't really suggested anything or helped. Ive learnt that doctors aren't that great with helping sometimes!

I think thrush appears normally before or after your period I got told, as your hormones change etc. I think its the pill in my opinion (Im on Mercilon low dose) and the hormone tablets I'm on (cyproterone acetate) for my excess hair and hormone balance from PCOS
Image Image
Age 21
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome & Hirsitism
Mercilon pill
Cyproterone acetate 50MG

Image Image Image
s_x

Postby Meringoo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi,

You really need to get referred to a gynaecologist if this is something that keeps coming back and your GP isn't helping. It is a horrible thing to have, drives you crazy. I used to get it constantly on certain pills, and I think it must have been the combination of oestrogen with a progestogen, because I am on a progestogen-only pill now and don't get it at all. I used to get it on Marvelon and Yasmin a lot. Not sure if there's a link between oestrogenic pills and thrush. But, definitely get some proper treatment and help. xx
Meringoo

Postby malibu7585 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:21 pm

Thanks for the responses, it's good to know I'm not alone.

I have been to a gynaecologist, he just offered me a mirena coil and that was it. He did no tests or anything, it put me off going back to him again as he doesn't seemed to want to find the reason I get thrush a lot.

I'm going to ask for my hormone levels to be tested and I want to be checked for insulin resistance as well.
malibu7585

Postby Lucinda » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:24 pm

It might be worth trying to cut down on sugar, as this certainly helped with my thrush/fungal toenail infection. If you google 'candida' you'll find out more, or check my previous posts on food/diet. Hope you get rid of it soon!
Daft southerner up north; age: 38; diagnosed with PCOS at 19, but unaware of the full significance until the last few years - most notably when my hair began thinning at 27! Now trying to help symptoms by using an anti-candida diet.
Lucinda

Postby s_x » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:22 pm

yeah I've heard that before... i eat a lot of fruit and occasionally sweets. Balanced healthy diet but maybe it would help to cut down the sugar :( I do love sugar... haha
Image Image
Age 21
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome & Hirsitism
Mercilon pill
Cyproterone acetate 50MG

Image Image Image
s_x

Postby illgetthroughit » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:05 pm

Hi Malibu,

I am exactly the same i feel like i constantly have thrush! I am on the pill now but the problem dates back to well before I started taking it. The doctors have tested my blood for diabetes etc. as that often causes recurring thrush. I guess perhaps, then, the link between pcos and ir may have something to do with is. My cousin has PCOS and is exactly the same as me. I feel for you!! If your like me having sex with all the symptoms of pcos is difficult enough without continuous thrush!
illgetthroughit

Postby Rozna87 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:41 am

I had this. It's awful! Mine lasted 7 years before I was able to sort it. Doctors sometimes treat it like its a minor thing but after years it really really isnt. I tried everything but in the end it was having hormone levels checked (low estrogen) and using estrogen cream alongside bioactiv gel to restore ph balance. Probably worth asking your Gyn to check your hormones. I hope you find something that works for you. Rx
Rozna87

Postby Calesmill » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:44 pm

i always had thrush when i was younger, but since giving up gluten in my diet, I no longer suffer, give it a go, it has definately worked for me, although that wasn't the reason I gave up.
Calesmill

Return to Other problems