thyroid nodules

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

thyroid nodules

Postby mazz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:33 pm

I've just been diagnosed with some small nodules on my thyroid gland. Have been wondering if I have hyperthyroidism anyway (I'm thin, never been able to put any weight on, recently been struggling with a lot of anxiety and low energy levels) - unfortunately the blood tests they did were all to rule out cancer and not to look at thyroid hormone levels.

The doc has said they're nothing to worry about and to come back in 3 months and we'll see if anything has changed. We had been planning, though, to start TTC a second child, and I'm a bit concerned because there seems to be lots of stuff online indicating that pregnancy and hyperthyroidism don't go well together.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Please advise!
mazz

Postby ruby_1985 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi hun

I have graves disease (overactive thyroid) and recently had a thyroidectomy so I no longer have a gland and relay on medication.

Just wanted to say I managed to conceive when my graves wasnt under control and have a healthy baby boy wouldnt recommend conceiving when your thyroid levels are not right though. I didnt know I had graves when I fell pregnant.

I was really worried how the thyroidetomy would effect my fertility and I was told so long as your levels are normal by taking the medication then you are no different to someone who doesnt have thyroid problems.

Do you know if your levels are over or under? They sound over to me from your symptoms as I suffered the same with anxiety and losing weight. Has your doc told you of how they will treat the nodules? I know if they say radio active treatment then you cant ttc for 6months after. I didnt choose that option as you cant go near children for weeks after so wasnt an option.

Only advice is as soon as you get pregnant see your gp as you need to be watched slightly closer then someone without thyroid problems as your medication needs to altered during pregnancy.

If you need to chat pm me

Ruby xxx
ruby_1985

Postby ruby_1985 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi hun

I have graves disease (overactive thyroid) and recently had a thyroidectomy so I no longer have a gland and relay on medication.

Just wanted to say I managed to conceive when my graves wasnt under control and have a healthy baby boy wouldnt recommend conceiving when your thyroid levels are not right though. I didnt know I had graves when I fell pregnant.

I was really worried how the thyroidetomy would effect my fertility and I was told so long as your levels are normal by taking the medication then you are no different to someone who doesnt have thyroid problems.

Do you know if your levels are over or under? They sound over to me from your symptoms as I suffered the same with anxiety and losing weight. Has your doc told you of how they will treat the nodules? I know if they say radio active treatment then you cant ttc for 6months after. I didnt choose that option as you cant go near children for weeks after so wasnt an option.

Only advice is as soon as you get pregnant see your gp as you need to be watched slightly closer then someone without thyroid problems as your medication needs to altered during pregnancy.

If you need to chat pm me

Ruby xxx
ruby_1985

Return to Other problems