Pain near right ovary

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Pain near right ovary

Postby Tara1987 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi all- hope someone can give me abit of info... I'm new to the site and not long been diagnosed with pcos (dec11). Here goes..... I orig went to the drs oct last year as I had.been ttc for over 1.5 yrs with no luck :-( and that I kept getting sharp pains near my right ovary. My gp sent an appt through for a transvaginal which showed up I had.cysts on both ovaries. My follow up appt with gp has told me to lose weight, however it wasn't explained to me why I was getting these sharp pains,they only last a
few seconds but there painful. Started mildly near left side. Wasnt sure if I'm alone on. This or whether its linked to pcos? Pains get sharp if I get up suddenly or if I role over and my body twists slightly. There not there constantly but its something Ive noticed alot. I have a regular "ish" cycle every 36days the pain is never there when I'm on my period just the normal period cramps. Just wanting to know if any one else gets these niggling pains. Appreciate any advice, Tara xxx
Tara1987

Postby Cloudyrain » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:39 pm

Welcome to the Board honey! :D

I get these pains and it appears to be where a little cyst has continued to grow. At my first US I had a really big cyst on one ovary, and basically it ruptured when i had a period (very painful, but i have endometriosis so thats nothing new!) However, I do get smaller cysts that do this and it just feels a bit sharp when I move funny (or sneeze). Maybe mention it to your Dr as I wasn't aware it's a pcos thing, just a cyst thing, but im not sure xxx
Diagnosed PCOS and Endometriosis in 2011 after 15 years fighting!

Next East Mids Meet Ups: Sunday 29th July and Sunday 23rd September at 3pm, Nottingham Knight Pub

Remember: Smear tests save lives!x
Cloudyrain
Local Group Leader

Postby Tara1987 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:15 pm

Thanks for ur reply. another question....when they done my ultra sound and transvaginal exam would they hav been able to pick up whether I had endometriosis? I orig thought I had that before they diagnosed me with pcos and surely if I had blocked tubes or anything else wrong this exam would of picked it up?! Sorry for the questions xxxxxx
Tara1987

Postby Cloudyrain » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:41 pm

You don't need to say sorry honey, ask anything!

Endometriosis hardly ever shows on ultrasounds. Mine (both external and transvaginal) were clear for endo, but my lap found the endo to be very extensive and very active. As for tubes, they can only see limited bits, and need to do a test (hsg) or lap to check them properly. Despite all my endo my tubes were clear, it's rare for tubes to be affected by endo.

Keep a pain/symptom diary and see how you get on. I find I get endo pains worse on the rare occasions that I ovulate. I also start to get a slow increase in symptoms for a few weeks before my period, horrific periods, and pain slowly subsides for a few weeks after.

The endo symptoms are different for everyone, as is the pain, so it can be hard to diagnose. That being said, I knew myself I have had it for years, it was only when I finally couldn't cope anymore and threw a paddy at my GP that they took me seriously :D

Hope that helps, but don't hesitate at all to ask any questions you might have xxx
Diagnosed PCOS and Endometriosis in 2011 after 15 years fighting!

Next East Mids Meet Ups: Sunday 29th July and Sunday 23rd September at 3pm, Nottingham Knight Pub

Remember: Smear tests save lives!x
Cloudyrain
Local Group Leader

Postby Tara1987 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:33 pm

See I'm not sure if my symptoms would fit in to endo. My period is every 36days so regular ish. I just get the normal nasty cramps from a period for the 1st day or two. I will log any pain I get, good idea! I'm just worried its more serious. I have an appt with gp 30th jan so will ask then. Thanks for ur advice, I have loads of unanswered questions and Its great I am on this support group as I had no one to talk to or anyone that understands the whole pcos! Xx :-)
Tara1987

Return to Other problems