Sleepy

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Sleepy

Postby ladyp » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:23 pm

Hmm does anyone else feel really sleepy in the day but when you try to get to sleep at night you can't? Just getting on my nerves now feel like I'm fighting sleeping in the day but can't for life of me drop off at right time.
I don't think I can remember the last time I had a good nights sleep is there a way we can get some refreshing sleep with this condition or do we just constantly feel sick and death like. Still got to wait another month before I feel like I can see the doctor again :roll:
ladyp

Postby GillyRose » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:55 am

You aren't alone!

My sleeping patterns have always been up and down (I refuse to call them abnormal, as they are normal for me!) Recently though, I've started to notice that I always feel more tired in the late morning/early to mid afternoon, especially after I've eaten. If I dont sleep when I feel tired, I then become over tired and I can't drop off at all. I do try and get early nights, but I either end up tossing and turning for a few hours, or I drop off and end up wide awake at stupid o clock.

One thing I do find that helps, I have a little snack just before bed (as I said above, eating makes me feel tired) and when I'm in bed, I find something to read on my phone (I have PDF books on there) and I read until my eyes start drooping (which is normally within 5 minutes) if you find that you are reading for an hour or so without feeling tired, then turn the book off and try listening to some light instrumental music or an audio book.

Good luck x
GillyRose

Postby Hols969 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:10 am

Are you eating regularly enough during the day. I often get a tired phase if my blood sugar is low and I havent eaten regularly enough. Also are you eating late at night as this can affect it? What are you eating, having any tea or coffee as this is a stimulant, do you smoke?

Have you tried having a bath an hour before bed as well, no tv just before bed as this is a stimulant as well. Sometimes I think ladies minds switch on at night (unlike men who can drop to sleep at the drop of a hat it seems), I know mine do and sometimes I wish I could switch it off but it seems to be the time to think about things for some reason ....

Maybe try doing something like yoga as well just before bed. I have been doing yoga probably for about 8 months now (wasnt something I particularly thought I would like) but actually the breathing part of yoga has been quite good for me to calm my mind back down and learning how to focus on your breathing (which I never thought I would be able to do as I thought shopping lists would pop into my head!!) but Im just starting to see that it can work.....
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby ladyp » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:10 am

Hmm I do drink a fair bit of tea maybe 4 cups a day. I've cut coffee out completely cos I used to take one sugar in that and when I got told I had this I figured adding sugar to anything was out of the question so I've stopped even having one cup of coffee. How many hours before I attempt to get to sleep do you recommend I quit having tea then? I've already started having one cup of water before I go bed, so rock and roll I know.

Thankfully I have never smoked so that is one good thing I guess tho knowing my luck passive smoking could have messed my lungs up anyway. Not had a drink since got diagnosed either tho did have a Baileys on christmas day but think I paid for having that soon afterwards. I figured what the hell cut the alcohol out as well since I got diagnosed not that I was a big drinker anyway but I was starting to develop a taste for sourz and pop. Don't feel I can drink pop anymore either now. Watermelon consumption has also had to be drastically reduced as well since I read that had a high G.I I've got to laugh even the fruits I like are the non good variety :roll:

I must admit I have been having some chocolates probably not wise but have quit everything else so it's my one vice.
ladyp

Postby Sian G » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:06 pm

I constantly feel tired all day no matter how much I sleep. At night I am up once or twice for the bathroom but I manage to get back to sleep ok.
The tiredness is driving me crazy. I have even started having a sugar free energy drink to try and wake me up but it doesnt work. I dont drink tea or coffee and I quit smoking about eight months ago.
Im not sure what else to do about it.
Sian G

Postby Hols969 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:12 am

I try not to drink anything when I get home in the evening otherwise I will need to go to the loo a few times during the night. Often dehydration can cause it as well so make sure you drink enough during the day and try and avoid it during the evening.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Other problems