Possible diabetes

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Possible diabetes

Postby sphyg » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:42 pm

It was suggested I get tested for diabetes after a routine eye test found I have an early cataract, which is rare in younger people. Any experience or advice around diabetes? Due to my PCOS, my diet is already pretty healthy, and I've been on metformin for a couple of years already.
TTC since Nov 2007
Diagnosed PCOS Oct 2008
Miscarried Nov 2009 & Jul 2010
http://ootastic.wordpress.com/
sphyg

Postby Hols969 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:39 am

Make sure they do the glucose one, so nothing from about 8pm, blood test first thing, then a sugary drink and then a blood test an hour or so later. This is the best one at detecting insulin resistance which we are prone to have.

What is your weight like as this can play a part. My mum is diabetic and for many years it was controlled by diet alone, as she has got older she has had to use insulin though. Hopefully it can just be controlled further by diet.

Reduce the amount of sugar, and natural sugar as well in fruit, and only have the brown stuff. You would be surprised how many things actually have hidden sugar in it like bread etc so even though you may believe your diet is good, its only when you read the small print that you notice how many things actually do have sugar in it and in things you wouldnt think they are needed (also other words for sugar as well), its quite surprising actually.

Remember also that you cannot have caffeine as well as this plays havoc with your system if you are diabetic.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby sphyg » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:43 pm

Thanks for the reply. I had a fasting glucose test and despite making sure I had a large meal the night before, I was feeling light-headed beforehand and insisted on lying down for the test and then eating flapjack afterwards ;) Just rang for my results, and apparently things seem fine. Though I'll keep working on trying to lose a bit more weight!
TTC since Nov 2007
Diagnosed PCOS Oct 2008
Miscarried Nov 2009 & Jul 2010
http://ootastic.wordpress.com/
sphyg

Return to Other problems