Who else has endometriosis/suspected endometriosis?

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Postby fiona » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks meringo and cloudyrain. I am definitely going to ask to arrange the lap at my next appointment. Not until 1st Feb.

Then I will have to worry about when I have it as Im pretty sure I'll need two weeks off work. My job is just so physical, lots of bending carrying, twisting and getting knocked around in different angles! The kids also seem to like running really fast into you to give you a cuddle! Don't think I could take any risks going back to work early!

Thanks so much for replying with advice, can you tell me how bad the shoulder pain is afterward? And how long it lasts? Is it the sort of pain that goes away with pain killers or much worse?
fiona

Postby Meringoo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:36 pm

Shoulder pain was nothing compared to endo pain, just a little uncomfortable - in fact I barely remember it. The worst thing was being so constipated AND hungry after not being able to eat due to the op. My advice is to eat very light afterwards, because any...pushing...is rather uncomfortable. Also, the anaesthetic gave me trouble when I needed a wee - just couldn't get going. I found the old trick of putting my hands in warm water helped! Looked ridiculous in my boyfriend's bathroom!! You should have a back to work meeting right? You must say that lifting and bending etc is out of the question, and for goodness sake, stop feeling sorry about it!!!! You're not a slave, you're an employee, and an employee has rights! xx
Meringoo

Postby fiona » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks meringoo.

Why couldnt you eat after the lap? So it hurts to push when going to the toilet? How long does that last?
fiona

Postby Meringoo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:12 pm

You can eat, but I suggest liquidy foods, not dry stuff. Drink lots too, if you can keep it down, so sip slowly. In hondsight, I would probably have had a couple of slim fasts to get my energy up and give me the sugar rush i wanted! You can take stool softeners and constipation relief tablets too. You may feel a bit emotional after the lap, but don't worry, just rest. xx
Meringoo

Postby Cloudyrain » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:43 pm

Agreed with Meringoo!

The constipation is caused by the affects of the anaesthetic and I have to admit, that was the worse bit for me - it actually felt like nothing was ever going to move. However, a few plums soon sorted me out. If I had another one I would start on the stool softener as soon as I was back home. And liquid food will help to prevent this too.

Peppermint tea/cordial help for the shoulder pain, but I also found extra-strong mints brilliant - they also help with any feelings of sickness xxx
Diagnosed PCOS and Endometriosis in 2011 after 15 years fighting!

Next East Mids Meet Ups: Sunday 29th July and Sunday 23rd September at 3pm, Nottingham Knight Pub

Remember: Smear tests save lives!x
Cloudyrain
Local Group Leader

Postby fiona » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:50 pm

I had general anesthetic for my endoscope and colonoscopy and did not get any constipation either time (no worse than normal anyway). Is the anesthetic different for a lap? Does everyone get constipation? To be honest I have really forgotten what normal bowel habits are anyway :-(
fiona

Postby Meringoo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:22 pm

I guess it can affect us all differently. When my endo was particularly bad, I would get IBS symptoms. So constipation and diarrhea intermittently. I actually had some cognitive behavioural therapy and hypnotherapy to help my anxiety and depression, and found that those problems went away. That was some time after the lap though. I recommend it.
Meringoo

Postby Cloudyrain » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:36 pm

The anaesthetic with those procedures are small and don't put you out for long as they arent "cutting" antything. Even a normal exploratory lap might not cause many bowel problems, as its only for a short time. However, in my case the surgery lasted quite a while due to the pure massive extent of endo.

Please also bear in mind that the amount of pain and problems you get isn't a reflection of the amount of endo you have. You can have a tiny little bit that is quickly and easily removed, even though it might cause you a lot of pain when its there. The scientists haven't found any correlation to the amount of endo and the symptoms.

Also, some people have a little bit of endo removed and are back on their feet in a week, others have a little awkward bit removed and take as long as someone with extensive adhesions. It's best to prepare for more than 2 weeks off just in case, and your Dr won't sign you back until your are fit for work xxx
Diagnosed PCOS and Endometriosis in 2011 after 15 years fighting!

Next East Mids Meet Ups: Sunday 29th July and Sunday 23rd September at 3pm, Nottingham Knight Pub

Remember: Smear tests save lives!x
Cloudyrain
Local Group Leader

Previous

Return to Other problems