the mini pill??

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

the mini pill??

Postby natalielauren » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:23 pm

Hi all - first post!!

I was diagnosed with PCOS last week, after a four year struggle to find out what was wrong with me. I'm 20 years old.

Im trying to understand more about what I should be doing to help myself, but have the most unhelpful doctor in the world, who complained about me asking for a referral to the gyn after my hormone levels came back high.

soo...gyno confirmed that my high hormone levels were because of PCOS, but told me that I should do everything in my power to NOT gain any weight, despite the fact that I am actually underweight. i was given the mini pill, which is progesterone only, and sent on my way. told that i didnt need any follow up. no advice, nothing. the only thing that they told me was that it would be better to start ttc sooner rather than later, as obv my weight wasnt a factor in my pcos and therefore i couldnt improve my cycle...but equally, that i shouldnt ttc too soon, because i would ruin my life.

so what purpose does going on the mini pill have? Im not going to be ttc immediately, but possibily in about a year. but do i just go back to my doctor at that point? im struggling to understand what im meant to be doing, and how im meant to be feeling, because absolutely no one has really spoken to me about it in terms of my life! how have other people dealt with all of this? its so overwhelming!

any advice would be so much appreciated. sorry for the long post! xx
natalielauren

Postby Hols969 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:33 pm

The mini pill doesnt help pcos at all so Im quite surprised that is what your gynae recommended. One thing our experts at verity do say is that being on the pill (the combined one), keeps your body as 'normal' as possible so you have a greater chance of conceiving naturally when coming off it.

I would go back to your GP and ask to go o on the combined pill like yasmin. The one thing that your Gynae didnt tell you was that your fertility lasts longer (egg quality remains better) with pcos so there is no urgency to have children (unless you are 35+). Some ladies get pregnant easily as well, some need more help.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Other problems