In so much pain :( + rant.

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

In so much pain :( + rant.

Postby Lexa » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:59 pm

Id love it if anyone could help, since monday night ive been really sick as in not kept down any food and having bowel issues (both?!) and to top it off
I havent had a period in nearly a year and yesterday I started. I think it could be down to a bit of weight loss.. or it could just be unlucky coincidence. The problem is im in so much pain! Ive honestly never had this before, Ive had the odd cramp and feeling of bleh.. but this is really horrible. It feels like what I imagine contractions are like ie im okay for a bit then suddenly im having massive spasms. Ive just been laid on the floor crying, which isnt like me because I usually have such a high pain threshold. I just dont know what to do, ive recently moved house and Im not registered with a dr and really dont have the energy to be bothered.
Anyone know why? or had this?

Work is being so shit about it, ive never had an absense with them and infact only had one in like 4 years of employment, but because basically they are short staffed - which is there own fault - they are making comments like, youll have to have an interview with HR when you come back to explain yourself and just generally making sure i know theres no one in to cover and people from other departments will have to. It just makes me mad, I cant name my company but its a very large one which im assuming most people will have shopped in at one time of another.

So very fed up :(
Diagnosed : 25/04/08
Diabetes - type 2
Metformin 1500mg
Aged 25
Lexa

Postby EdithJane » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:25 pm

I hope you feel better soon. This just sounds like a periods related issue to me, im usually ok but i have had times like this before.

As for your employer, how dare they! Mine is alot like this too, i cant say who they are either lol. They basically said if i took my new role i couldn't ring in sick! Ye right. I'd just say something like, yes i am aware of the absence procedures thank you! Its just that the people who are funny with you dont get any bother if they ring in sick :evil:
April 2012 - Mirena coil fitted
2005 diagnosed with PCOS
EdithJane

Postby thebuzz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:49 pm

Not really any advice but regarding your company, if they make an issue out of it you could do them for sexual discrimination. I remember learning at school that even if you need time off every month your company cant do anything about it so maybe point that out to them if it becomes a problem.

Hope you improve soon.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
[url=http://daisypath.com]
thebuzz

Postby Meringoo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:56 pm

The pain sounds pretty likely to be due to it being your first period in a year. I would go to your NHS walk in clinic or A&E if it's really bad, and in the meantime get to a pharmacy and explain the level of pain you're experiencing. Ask for strong ibuprofen and codeine (they can give this without prescription but only about 2 days' supply).

I'll take a guess at Debenhams... :D

Anyway, you can always tell HR just how they were treating you and that you have a medical condition and the absence was genuine and couldn't be foreseen OR helped. Some people are such b******s.

Register asap at a GP surgery and try to get some sort of treatment plan. It is unsafe to go more than 6 months without a bleed - your womb lining can grow so much and aside from the pain, this puts you at risk of cancer. So, you need to either regulate your cycle by taking the combined pill, or take provera progestogen tablets every few weeks to induce a bleed so that you can shed the lining and keep your womb healthy. Have a look at the stick on contraceptive pills in the medications forum. It explains things well, and if you need anything answering, just ask!

Hope this helps xx
Meringoo

Postby beaglelady » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:45 am

Lexa

Have you ever been investigated for endometriosis? Your symptoms sound very similar to how I was over the years. You would need to have a Laparoscopy to determine if you have it. If you do not feel any better in a few months go to your gp and ask to be referred to a gynaecologist.

If you need anymore help on this please feel free to ask.
had the lot pcos endometriosis, adenomyosis and fibroids. now in early surgical menopause.
beaglelady

Postby ellenholmes » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:32 pm

sorry to hear you are so much pain, i agree with what the others are saying it sounds like that is being cause by not having a period for more than a year.

as for your employer, soon as i read that i thought the same as Meringoo as to your employer. i used to work for debenhams and i was off quite abit with not being very well or having depression, and i had to give permission for them to speak with my doctor, i wouldn't why at the end of the day, if you are not well you are not well. with my current employer i have to have a return to work when i have been off, and i have already had one stage review because of sickness.

hope you feel better soon,

Take care
First fertility appointment 15th November 2013
Levothyroxine 50mg 1 a day 10/09/2013
Diagnosed with under active thyroid 10/09/2013
Folic acid 400mg a day 16/07/2013
Bloods and swabs done 17/07/2013
ttc since 2007

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
ellenholmes

Postby Meringoo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:08 pm

beaglelady wrote:Lexa

Have you ever been investigated for endometriosis? Your symptoms sound very similar to how I was over the years. You would need to have a Laparoscopy to determine if you have it. If you do not feel any better in a few months go to your gp and ask to be referred to a gynaecologist.

If you need anymore help on this please feel free to ask.

I also have endometriosis, and if it was a regular pain issue, I'd have said the same. I just remember that after months of no periods when my PCOS was dreadful, my first period was hellish too. I think that the most important thing to do it get some type of hormonal treatment to induce a regular bleed and then if the pain continues after 3-6 months, it would be worth seeing a gynaecologist about the possibility of endometriosis - which, unless severe, can be managed by the combined pill (taken back to back for a few cycles to reduce pain and bleeding). xx
Meringoo

Postby EdithJane » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:05 pm

I asked the doc about endo and she shrugged it off, but i hadnt had a period for months then had a heavy one that lasted over a year, only stopped after taking provera. another doc also told me that if you dont have a period its not dangerous because the womb isnt creating more and more layers.
April 2012 - Mirena coil fitted
2005 diagnosed with PCOS
EdithJane

Postby Meringoo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:00 pm

Your womb does build up, but the problem is that the cells that have been there for a long time can cause you to be ill, my gynaecologist explained it all to me years ago. Basically, it is best if you have at least 3 periods/pill induced bleeds per year to keep the endometrioum healthy and risk-free. xx
Meringoo

Postby Lexa » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:05 pm

hiya,

I havent been tested for Endo but to be honest I wouldnt be suprised if I have it. That seems to be the way life is going at the moment!! Im still bleeding and have no massive pain anymore but keep getting sick from time to time.

Did a pregnancy test before all of this and it was positive did another and it was negative, did another after all this and its negative.. Tho I doubt It was a real positive because I have the implant.. but will bring it up with the doc.

your guesses at the employer are wrong :P I live in Ripon, which is yes technically a city but about the size of a small town! No great shops here.. well DP is okay lol

It was really horrible tho, never been in so much pain! and I broke my knee lol!
Diagnosed : 25/04/08
Diabetes - type 2
Metformin 1500mg
Aged 25
Lexa

Postby Cloudyrain » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:24 pm

Ah Lexa, hope you are feeling better now!

I would recommend you keep a thorough journal of your pain and bleeding and get down your GP. I have been having problem periods for years and have had a tentative endo diagnosis from my GP but the only way to definately confirm it is with a lap. I have been asking for a referral for this last year as my periods have made my life hell, but they are not quick to refer you. Pain like this needs to be sorted and isn't normal so keep pushing honey. Good luck xxx
Cloudyrain
Local Group Leader

Return to Other problems