Artificial Menopause Here I Come!

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Artificial Menopause Here I Come!

Postby blackokapi » Sat May 14, 2011 6:03 pm

Had a visit to the hospital last week & now looking at getting injections to switch off my ovaries for 6 months to give my body a rest. Anybody else had this done?

:p I try to maintain a happy outlook, although it's hilarious to me with my dark sense of humour that I'll be on HRT before age 30.
blackokapi

Postby Meringoo » Sun May 15, 2011 10:50 am

What's the treatment called? I've had GnRH analogue injections, brand names are Decapeptyl and Zoladex, though there are some others I can't remember.

I found the menopausal side effects difficult as I had bad joint and muscular pain, plus some hot flushes and a bit of hair loss, BUT I am much better for having the treatment. Let me know if you need any tips. x
Meringoo

Postby beaglelady » Tue May 17, 2011 8:00 am

Hi I had zoladex for several months. I had it first without hrt addback and had joint pain and hot flushes and mood swings. Then had hrt and this all cleared up. It did however cause problems with my blood pressure and I am still on treatment. It was also the only treatment that stopped my pain apart from my hyst. I also found acupuncture helped with side effects. Good luck.
had the lot pcos endometriosis, adenomyosis and fibroids. now in early surgical menopause.
beaglelady

Postby Meringoo » Tue May 17, 2011 5:02 pm

Acupuncture also helped me with side effects from this treatment. I wasn't given hrt as the oestrogen would had undone the postive effects of the treatment for my endometriosis, and possibly caused me loads of pain as it feeds on oestrogen. However, for PCOS it would be fine to take HRT. xx
Meringoo

Postby blackokapi » Fri May 20, 2011 9:24 pm

The injection's called Prostap - had it yesterday & woke up this morning feeling the best I've been in years!

So far, so good.....
blackokapi

Postby Meringoo » Sat May 21, 2011 9:17 pm

Yes it's a GnRH analogue treatment. Good luck with it! I hope it improves your symptoms. I found the Decapeptyl (just like Prostap) very helpful, and the positive effects were more noticeable after a few months had passed since my last injection. xx
Meringoo

Postby blackokapi » Fri May 27, 2011 7:08 pm

Just survived week 1 - I had a hot flush in my chemistry class in front of everyone, then burst into tears at a lecturer yesterday!! On a happier note, I've lost weight this last week without trying, so will see what trying to lose will do for me xx
blackokapi

Return to Other problems