Really need advice - not sure what to do.

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Really need advice - not sure what to do.

Postby Summer1988 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:07 am

Hi,
I was diagnosed with PCOS in Nov 2010, after months and months of telling my doctor something was wrong, he agreed for me to have a scan which showed that I had PCOS. I then started taking Yasmin.

Back in 2008, I was diagnosed with Graves Disease, an overactive thyroid and was put on medication. By 2009, my thyroid returned to normal levels.

By March 2011, I started experiencing painful headaches. My doc told me to stop taking Yasmin, I didn't believe my headaches were being caused by Yasmin. I then found out that my overactive thyroid has come back and I'm back on hyperthyroid medication.

I'm still having headaches, even though I haven't taken Yasmin in 2 months. My doctors can't give me any answers or help, I don't know whether I should start taken Yasmin again.

Has anyone else experienced an overactive thyroid and PCOS? How did you treat the two? My prolactin and testostrene levels are above normal too.

Please help,
Thanks!
Summer1988

Postby MrsB » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi Summer

Just seen your post as I did a search for overactive thyroid. I had a scan back in May which confirmed cysts on my ovaries so I was told I had PCOS. I had some bloods taken last week and had a voicemail from the GP to say that the bloods showed an overactive thyroid. I'm presuming that this is in addition to PCOS and not instead of. I don't know if you are TTC at the moment or not (we are) but wondered how you were going with having thyroid issues on top of PCOS. What medication have they offered you and are they monitoring you?

Hope you're doing ok with it all. x
6 clomid cycles 50mg, all bfn despite oving.
Natural bfp September 2013 just before moving on IVF
DS born June 2014
MrsB

Postby Summer1988 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. My PCOS and over active thyroid are treated separately. I'm currently taking Carbizamole for my thyroid and now Dianette for my PCOS.

I've now moved to a different hospital, as the doctors at my old hospital were going to remove my thyroid. When I moved to the new hospital they advised against this, as I am only 23 and it would mean I would have to greater precautions during pregnancy when I want to have children.

From my experience the doctors are more concerned with controlling the thyroid problem, as if it goes untreated it can lead to more health problems. Other than taking Dianette I haven't been offered any other treatment and not sure if there is anything else other than maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Hope you are well and getting the best help and advice.
Summer1988

Return to Other problems