Coping with PCOS and Work - Occupational Health

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Coping with PCOS and Work - Occupational Health

Postby gillymonkey » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:19 pm

My work have a very strict sickness and absence policy . We are only allowed 5 days off in a six month period with a max of 3 occasions of sickness before you start being officially 'monitored and managed'. This is irregardless of whether or not you have been signed off by a doc. Unfortunately I have now fallen into the monitoring category as I've had to be off a few times with pcos related symptoms. I couldn't possibly have been in work as I was coping with vv heavy bleeding , pain and absolute fatigue caused by the 2. I made my boss aware I have a long term gnyae condition so he has reffered me to occupational health. We are currently ttc so I can't go on the pill or take hormones to help.

I guess I'm just scared occupational health won;t see this as being worthy of a few days off work. (to give you an idea - I;ve only had 14 days off in the past year usually off for an average of 3 days).

Any advice?
gillymonkey

Postby BJ1974 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:26 am

You have a legitimate medical condition and they cannot micro manage you for something that you have no control over. I would say that it almost borders on harassment.
BJ1974

Postby gillymonkey » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have asthma too so some of the absences relate to that which may help things. I've got an appointment to discuss things with the occ health nurse tomorrow. I just hate being made to feel guilty over something out with my control.
gillymonkey

Postby gillymonkey » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:28 pm

Just to give a wee update the occ health nurse was excellent. She totally understood that it would be necessary at points for me to be off for short periods of time and she said that her report will reflect this. She said that she would state it was unpreventable, uncontrollable and would lead to me having higher than normal levels of absence.

She also said that she was sure this would fall under the equality act therefore all absences relating to this could not be classed as normal sickness absence and therefore should not be treated as such, ie I can't be disciplined for it.

What a relief!
gillymonkey

Postby barnsleywiccan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:07 pm

gillymonkey wrote:Just to give a wee update the occ health nurse was excellent. She totally understood that it would be necessary at points for me to be off for short periods of time and she said that her report will reflect this. She said that she would state it was unpreventable, uncontrollable and would lead to me having higher than normal levels of absence.

She also said that she was sure this would fall under the equality act therefore all absences relating to this could not be classed as normal sickness absence and therefore should not be treated as such, ie I can't be disciplined for it.

What a relief!

This is refreshing to know. I have been pulled up on my "lack of energy" at work - I also have a condition that affects my joints, have had ops on my knee and two ovarian cysts removed, all in the last three years. I have only been in this job just over 3 months and had no time off during this, despite having suffered really heavy bleeding for 6 days during this 3 months. I work alone all day in a grade 2 listed building going up and down four flights of stairs. Course I'm gonna feel tired!! :evil:
barnsleywiccan

Return to Other problems