Heavy bleeding = public embarrassment

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Heavy bleeding = public embarrassment

Postby BJ1974 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:56 pm

Yesterday I had a horrendous day at home with heavy periods, curled up on the sofa or in bed, then madly dashing to the WC whenever I could feel a clot and a big gush of blood coming.

Today I thought I was okay, so I went for a walk into town, 15 minutes there and then 15 minutes home. Just as I was leaving the shops I felt a big clot moving through my cervix and then my jeans were saturated with blood :oops: thankfully, I had a long jacket on which was able to cover me up until I got home.

What if it was a really warm day and I had no jacket to save me from the embarrassment of blood all over my jeans as I walked home? Fucking sick of this :evil: :cry:
BJ1974

Postby Meringoo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:17 pm

Hey,

Don't worry about what hasn't happened. Ok, so yes, it is awful and annoying, and the potential embarrassment would have been rubbish for a little while, but you were wearing a coat, and it's likely that most people, if not all, were too busy being involved in their own lives to notice you dashing away bacause of bleeding. Basically, what I am saying is, calm down, keep focused and try to see the bright side.

Secondly, are you taking/using anything to help this problem? Have you tried Mefenamic acid tablets to help with the clots and heavy bleeding? What about using some form of hormonal contraception to help control the bleeding? I can advise you well with that stuff, so let me know.

Has your PCOS been confirmed, and have you had an ultrasound scan recently? Do you always get such heavy bleeding? I'm just asking because I have endometriosis as well as PCOS, and very heavy bleeding and clotting can be a symptom of endo, but it is usually combined with intense pain. xx
Meringoo

Postby BJ1974 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:30 pm

Hi, thanks for replying xo

I'm pretty sure that nobody noticed, but only because I had the coat on. I'm just horrified at what COULD have happened if I didn't have the coat to cover me up and quite frankly I'm sick of dealing with it :(

My PCOS was diagnosed 7 years ago. I have suffered heavy bleeding for much longer, probably 14 years or more. I was diagnosed with "mild" endo in 2008. Pain is not always an issue every cycle, it can be quite mild and I might take some paracetamol, or it can be quite severe and I need something stronger. On the rare occasion, I may not get any pain, it's quite unpredictable.

Is Mefenamic acid the same thing as Tranexamic acid? I have been told that this could be a possible treatment for me so I will ask the Dr again.
I cannot take any hormonal contraception due to my medical history and given how badly it has messed up my hormones and body I would refuse to take the pill ever again.
The Fertility Focus Telesummit 2011

http://babyhopesblog.blogspot.com

dx with PCOS March '04
ttc since Sept '05
2 m/c '06 (5.5w & 6w) conceived w Clomid
Surprise BFP April '08, m/c May '08 (6.5w)
SA for DH, mild MFI
DNA testing for both of us, all okay
Lap & HSG May '08 mild endo found
Surprise BFP Aug '08, m/c Sept '08 (boy 10.5w) caused by retroplacental haematoma
BJ1974

Postby Meringoo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:46 pm

Hey we're quite similar then! :D

Mild endo can cause more pain, bleeding and other problems than "severe" endo, so don't feel as though it's not worthy of treatment.

Mefenamic acid is like tranexamic acid. It is worth going to your GP and asking for it. From my memory, you need to take it a couple of days BEFORE your period in order for it to be really effective.

Have you considered the Mirena IUS? It releases a tiny bit of levenorgestrel, a progestogen, into the womb and is recommended for both endo and PCOS now. It's a shame that you can't take the combined pill, as there are certain brands that really are good for this problem. Would you be ok with a progestogen-only pill? Cerazette wouldn't be too bad an option for PCOS and may help with the endo and bleeding issues. You might need to take 2 a day to curb the bleeding though.

Have you had a laparoscopy then? I think I would definitely push my GP for an appointment with a gynaecologist. GPs can only do so much for these types of problems.

Do you get conitinuous heavy bleeding or just during your period week? xx
Meringoo

Postby BJ1974 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:08 pm

Yeah, I had a Lap/HSG in 2008, that was when my mild Endo was discovered.

Just get the heavy bleeding at the beginning of a new cycle. Typically, the first 1-2 days are light, then 1-2 days of really heavy bleeding with clots, then 2-3 days of medium flow that gets gradually lighter. The total number of days when I bleed is usually 5, but can be as many as 6 or 7, depending on how long the previous cycle took.

The last cycle was a really long one, bleeding started on 14th of Jan, then I didn't ovulate until approximately 14th of March, so by the time the new cycle started on 1st of April it was a total cycle length of about 10 weeks which is highly unusual for me, typically my cycles are anywhere between 4 and 6 weeks long. So I'm guessing that the 10 week cycle explains why this cycle is much heavier than usual.

I will try to get a Dr appointment on Wednesday, I will definitely ask about the Mefenamic/tranexamic acid and also other options that would be suitable. I just have to be really careful with hormone contraception given my history of stroke, that is why I can't take any BCP.

Edited to add: I'm waiting to start acupuncture & Chinese herbs again (lack of money has been the issue until now LOL) as these work beautifully for me and they make my menstrual bleeds much less clotted and virtually pain-free :)
The Fertility Focus Telesummit 2011

http://babyhopesblog.blogspot.com

dx with PCOS March '04
ttc since Sept '05
2 m/c '06 (5.5w & 6w) conceived w Clomid
Surprise BFP April '08, m/c May '08 (6.5w)
SA for DH, mild MFI
DNA testing for both of us, all okay
Lap & HSG May '08 mild endo found
Surprise BFP Aug '08, m/c Sept '08 (boy 10.5w) caused by retroplacental haematoma
BJ1974

Postby Meringoo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:12 pm

Ah right, yes, it does rule out anything with oestrogen then. My friend had your symptoms (the endo, contstand bleeding, clots for weeks on end) and due to the stroke she suffered while on a combined pill, she was put on the depo injection which completely sorted her out! It's nothing for PCOS, but for that type of bleeding and the disruption it causes to life, depo can be great, though if you're looking to conceive soon, it is best avoided as it is very strong. But yes, see your GP and don't be afraid of demanding some help!! xx
Meringoo

Postby Charley » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:03 pm

I take Tranexamic acid for heavy bleeding and it works really well. I take it during the first 2 days of my period and i now only bleed very lightly. I get no side effects and it has ended all the heavy clots and stomach cramping. Definately worth seeing your GP about it.
Charley

Postby BJ1974 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:33 pm

I just did a google search of mefenamic acid and realised that it is Ponstan, which I have taken over the years to ease period pain but I had no idea it could also be used to relieve heavy bleeding, why do Drs not tell us about these things? :roll:

Will definitely see my Dr to get a prescription for next cycle, hopefully things will settle down tonight and I won't need any meds.
BJ1974

Postby zanussi » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:08 pm

I've read on other forums that ladies who suffer with very heavy bleeding recommend using a mooncup alongside towels to provide maximum protection.
Hope you can do something to reduce it x
zanussi

Postby superhannahmarie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:41 pm

I have to second Zanussi on the mooncup thing.

Since I switched pills 3 months ago I've had constant on and off heavy bleeding (am going back to the doc tommorow to ask for a different kind of pill as this one has completely messed me up hormonally as well and is just not suiting me at all). I've taken to wearing my mooncup every day just to protect against these unexpected bleeds - because they are made from soft silicon you can't feel it at all once it's in, and there's no risk of TSS like there is with tampons. If I don't bleed, it doesn't matter - I just take the mooncup out in the evenings and mornings and wash it, then pop it back in. But if I do bleed, I know I don't have to worry about being caught out!

Honestly, I can't rate them highly enough. They take a bit of practice to use but stick with it and you'll be so glad you did!

Starting dietcare (hopefully) May 2011
Starting weight 21stone 4lbs (BMI 50)

Looking for PCOS buddies in the Gloucestershire area!
superhannahmarie

Postby BJ1974 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:04 pm

I've heard many good reviews about the moon cup, it is definitely something I will consider. Thanks for reminding me though, I had forgotten about it to be honest xo
BJ1974

Postby celandine » Wed May 25, 2011 7:33 pm

big hugs my life for years had a hysterectomy now. what a crap decision to have to come to riddled with extensive endo and pain though they did not know till after the op
celandine

Postby brandy queen » Sat May 28, 2011 6:07 pm

i been in same situation you not alone
brandy queen

Return to Other problems