I couldn't figure out which forum to put this in...

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

I couldn't figure out which forum to put this in...

Postby jesicaar » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:38 am

Basically, I am 20, and have known since I was about 18 that I have PCOS. I know you might say that I can't be sure, but seriously, I have every symptom. My mum wants me to go to the doctors and has been saying it for ages. I am absolutely terrified of the doctors and have been refusing to go. I know it would involve a blood test, and i'm scared of needles. I know it would involve a scan, and I don't want to get my belly out! It just seems daft to put myself through all that to be told I have something I already know. However, i've been thinking about it recently. One day, when it comes to wanting kids, I might regret not going to the doctors. Atm, i'm trying to build up the courage. I was wondering if people could tell me exaclty what they do to you? I think I'll feel better if i'm prepared xxx
jesicaar

Hi jesicaar!

Postby EdithJane » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:57 pm

When I went to the doctors and described everything that had happened to me she thought i had PCOS, but i had to have bloods and an external ultrasound to be sure.

My sister has a phobia of needles so literally has run out of doctors rooms before at the mention of them so just make sure you mention this, maybe you could take your mum or a friend to cling on to if they need blood, but they would prob do it on a different day anyway (iv'e always had to re-book for bloods) so you had chance to get your head round it :)

As for the scan, i didnt want to get my belly out, but the lady who does it will stare at the screen the whole time and iv'e had three they have all been the same. Also the women have all been quite nice its fine to say you are nervous and you can take someone in.

I dont know if iv'e helped or not, i think being diagnosed will be better for you now as they can discuss things to help your symptoms and when you do want to try for a baby you will prob have all the knowledge you need to help yourself! Presuming you have any problems that is!

Ok so what im trying to say is, since i was diagnosed iv'e felt so much better and this website is amazing! I hope you get the answers you need.

x
April 2012 - Mirena coil fitted
2005 diagnosed with PCOS
EdithJane

Postby Sammi » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:36 pm

What you have to remember is that the GP often only discusses things with you and during the first appointment you may only just talk. So maybe have your initial appointment, then decide if you want to have the tests suggested later?

They will normally advise you have some blood test to check there are no more serious issues causing your symptoms. I had some abnormalities and so was referred to the hospital fir tests on my adrenal glands - I did have to strip to my undies for this, BUT this wasn't part of the PCOS testing.

After your blood sample, you will probably go back to discuss them with your GP. They may want to press on your lower tummy to check for large cysts, but you don't need to undress for this. It's also not routine practice to have an ultrasound for diagnosing PCOS unless pain/heavy continuous bleeding is also an issue.

Thing us, your GP will be expecting you to have symptoms of PCOS if that's the reason you are there - so will be more shocked if you are cleared-skinned, with smooth hair free skin and a slim figure!

I know it doesn't feel like it, but you really are worry about nothing! Just remember it's your body and they can't make you do anything you don't want to.
No cycle for me, male factor infertility for H. Clomid resistant.

IVF#1 July/August 2013 at Bourn Hall - 35 eggs collected, 22 fertilised and frozen due to OHSS.
FET#1 December 2013 - BFP on Christmas Day!

It's going to be alright in the end. If it's not alright it's not the end.
Sammi
Verity Admin

Postby EdithJane » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:01 pm

I agree with everything SammiV said and i had really heavy bleeding so thats probably why i was put straight forward for an ultrasound

x
April 2012 - Mirena coil fitted
2005 diagnosed with PCOS
EdithJane

Postby BJ1974 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:12 pm

EFT can help you to overcome these fears, try this video http://www.youtube.com/user/eftwizard#p/search/0/heQvpti4uvo and as you tap keep the specific fear in mind. You don't need to understand HOW it works, just try it once and if the fear is still there then do the video again and again until that fear is reduced to almost nothing.
BJ1974

Return to Other problems