Probably not PCOS related but...

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Probably not PCOS related but...

Postby MsMara » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:22 am

Does anyone have a vitamin D deficiency? I have a 82% deficiency. yay me.
The best thing about life is that it's never so bad that it can't get worse.

Trying to lose 6 stone
MsMara

Postby Gill » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:20 am

my dad does. how are you getting treated for it?
Image Image ImageImage
Gill

Postby BBLass » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:29 pm

I've been having a look into this, there's loads of discussion on the internet about Vit D and PCOS. I've seen a reference to a Verity article on it! I have no idea if I have a vitamin D deficiency but I did start taking a supplement about the same time I started with metformin last year. I had a couple of cycles with met, they were long (45-ish days) but they were cycles nonetheless! I stopped with the vitamin D before Christmas and AF went awol. I started taking them again in mid-January along with a multi-vitamin and AF arrived this week. It's actual been quite 'normal' feeling - 5 days, no spotting beforehand, not too painful, not too heavy. I have no idea if this has anything to do with vitamin D but I'm going to keep taking it! It would be interesting to know if anyone else has seen any improvements with cycle-stuff after taking Vit D.

Hope you get things sorted...take care x x x
BBLass

Postby belleandboo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:48 pm

heya I read about the D deficiency too but my gp and consultant dismissed it. BBLass what strength vit D do you take? I've been taking a multi vit (tesco brand) but I wonder if I should take an extra vit D too.
CREWE PCOS group, meets monthly at Costa in Crewe just mail me for details :D
crewe@verity-pcos.org.uk
belleandboo
Local Group Leader

Postby BBLass » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:48 am

I've worked out that I'm taking about 1000 IU (think the RDA is 200 IU). The gospel according to Wikipedia says 4000 IU is the safe limit but I wouldn't supplement anything like this amount without some medical guidance. As soon as the sun starts shining I'll knock this down. The tablets I'm taking are the Holland and Barrett 10ug ones and they say to take 1 or 2 per day, and I'm also taking their multivitamin (ABC+?) which has the RDA in it I believe. I have no idea if these are helping at all and it might all be in my head but I'm willing to stick with anything that makes me feel positive and doesn't hurt me!

I've read quite a few things recently about lots of different people being Vitamin D deficient, think there was a thing in the news not long ago about a little girl with rickets! A lot of it stems from not being out in the sun enough and using high factor sunscreen all the time. It can affect all sorts of other conditions too (diabetes and osteoporosis included) so making sure you have enough vitamin D can only be a good thing...in my totally non-medical-expert opinion!!

Take care x x x
BBLass

Postby Sammi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:52 pm

My friend is a final year medical sudent and his 'about me' (or whatever its called!) on facebook says :

The Ten Commandments of Laurence

1-CARRY A PEN
Countless times during ones days, one needs to write down a time, a number, a date or a place. Having a pen to hand ensures that no matter what the circumstances are, you are able to write down what you need. Phones can run out of battery or not be to hand. People can talk to fast. And your memory probably never was as good as you gave it credit for. If you don't write it down, you'll forget it. Then where will you be?

2-DRESS SMARTLY
First impressions count. Rightly or wrongly, people form an impression on you within the first few seconds. Today could be the day you meet your future boss, or your future father in law. There is never an excuse for not looking your best. There will always be two people in life. The Guy in the Tie, and The Jack in The Slacks. No-one ever thought the worse of someone for considering him always dressing too smart. Make sure that YOU, are The Guy in the Tie.

3-WORK HARD
To succeed in this world, luck counts for something, but hard work counts for the rest. For every job you want, someone else probably wants it as well. Every time you're not working, consider the fact that this other person probably is. As a result, when they apply for the job it is they who will get it. If you want to get ahead, you have to work hard.

4-TAKE VITAMIN D
Vitamin D reduces Osteoporosis, cancers and Alzheimers. Almost everyone is deficient. 200IU are needed as a minimum to reduce Osteoporosis. To reduce cancers and the other nasty stuff, one needs 1000IU. Vitamin D is very hard to find by diet alone. Eggs contain only 20IU. Milk 100IU. Salmon and Mackeral on 200 per 100g, and no-one eats those every day. Even supplements only contain around 200IU, and Sunshine is not nough for 6 months of the year for anyone in the Northern Hemisphere. To overdose on vitamin D, one would need to take around 250 capsules, every day, for about a year. Make a concious effort to obtain more Vitamin D.

5-TRAVEL
There is a life beyond your existence that you will never experience. There are people wandering the streets of Durban, or fishing in The Russian seas, that you will never meet. These people laugh like you do, have a family like you do, and have a story and culture like you do also. The world is full of exicting people and places that will cause a whole manner of emotions and experiences to enter your life. With so much going on in the world, and with billions of different lives to look into, one should try to see as much of it as is humanly possible.

6-BE ORGANISED
There will come a time, on a boring afternoon maybe ten years from now. When something you once thought you would always remember where it was, suddenly is no longer there. A bank statement. An Insurance policy. Maybe just a love letter or a hand me down recipe. Have a place for everything. A folder or a file, labelled correctly, so if ever you need that vital...or trivial piece of information, it is always to hand. Nothing bad ever came from being organised.

7-LOOK AFTER YOUR PARENTS
These people gave up the best years of their marriage, a time when both years and fortune lay ahead of them, to bring you into this world. They made you who you are today. They gave you everything you could ever need or want for without asking for anything back. When the time comes when they ever need or want something, make sure that they have it. Where possible, prepare for their future to ensure that it is secure. If the time comes when they can no longer live alone, consider having them live with you. Putting up with your mothers singing or your fathers smelly feet, is a small price to pay for the sacrifice they made for you. There is also no better gift for your own children, than to have their grandparents share their growing up.

8-BE GENEROUS
Everyone remembers those that give often, and those that give Seldom. Sometimes it's money, sometimes it's time. But always be generous with what you have, and others lack. Trying to shift the title of being ungenerous is a long and difficult task. Buy your rounds. Give your moments. But when they are given, do not remind those of what you gave or how you gave it. Forget your generosity and let others remember it.

9-LEARN TO LIKE COFFEE
Whatever you do, wherever you go, there will be a time when a deadline has to be met or a night has to be seen through. Often this means a late night...or an early start. The fact is that sleep is not a luxury we can always rely on, and it is often snatched away from us like a rug beneath our feet. If your sleep gets taken from you, sometimes Coffee is all there is to ensure that we keep going. Make sure that you learn to like it.

10-KEEP A JOURNAL
There are so many moments that make you smile or roll around laughing. If one tried hard, one could probably only recall about a dozen of these from our lives. In a weeks time, that joke or moment you shared with a friend will have faded into a memory. In 20 years that memory will be almost unobtainable from the dark corners of your mind. By looking back through the pages of your life, you can remind yourself of times you always thought you would remember, but would in reality always forget.

So even he agrees on the vitamin D! And the others just make sense too :-)
No cycle for me, male factor infertility for H. Clomid resistant.

IVF#1 July/August 2013 at Bourn Hall - 35 eggs collected, 22 fertilised and frozen due to OHSS.
FET#1 December 2013 - BFP on Christmas Day!

It's going to be alright in the end. If it's not alright it's not the end.
Sammi
Verity Admin

Return to Other problems