Pcos but no cysts. What does this mean?

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Pcos but no cysts. What does this mean?

Postby becca » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:50 pm

I have all of the symptoms of pcos and hormonal levels but when I had an ultrasound when I was 16 they couldn't find cysts. What does this mean? Might this just mean I had been on the pill so long (since14) and barely had any periods before then that none actually had chance to develop? I am 28 now and was on the pill without a break from 16 until April last year. Without the pill am I likely to develop cysts?

Thanks x
becca

Postby Gill » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:18 am

from what i know cysts are only a symptom on pcos. i have the classic signs of pcos like excess hair, weight gain lack of periods but i dont have cysts and never have done. hope that helps hun xx
Image Image ImageImage
Gill

Postby Annoldie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi Becca. Cysts can come and go, some women have all the other symptoms but never seem to get cysts. The pcos title is a bit unfortunate - I don't think they knew as much about PCOS when they decided about that one!
Annoldie

Postby carojohnson18 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:17 pm

i'm the same, being diagnosed with PCOS with all the symptoms but no cysts, but absent periods. i'm with the docs now, asking for testing for Cushings, i was tested a few years ago when my periods were normal, but i've been without a period for 2 years but having a natural period last year, i'm still pestering the docs now for the re testing, not holding out much hope though!

I do feel that sometimes they just don't know whaqt the problem is so say PCOS, oh that will do kinda thing, which i'ver had all my life with the docs, grrr, :x but if you dont' think you have the right diagnosis, you are entitled to a second opinion.
You smile because I'm different; I laugh because your all the same!

-------------------------
TTC since October 2008
Diagnosed finally Jan 2010

A paranormal investigator/pencil pusher/psychic medium/domestic goddess...... just not all at once!!!
carojohnson18

Postby tashk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:41 pm

No cysts for me either but i have what my gynae called "the full house" of classic hormone pcos symptoms. She explained that there were two types of pcos. The physical type where there are cysts and not many other symptoms and the hormonal type where you have all the symptoms going but no actual cysts. Like you i was unsure for a while whether i had been misdiagnosed or not but my gynae sat me down and explained it all clearly and in detail.
tashk

Postby Meringoo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:05 pm

You can have PCO (ovarian cycts) on its own without the the PCOS symptoms (weight gain, acne, excess hair, hair loss from scalp, depression, annovulation).

When I was diagnosed, my blood tests showed I had it, along with my visible symptoms such as acne and massive weight gain, no periods etc, however my scan showed on follicles, no proper cysts. It is possible I had cysts before and since then but on that day they didn't show. But PCOS doesn't mean you must have ovarian cysts at all times. It is more about the hormonal imbalance and the symptoms that arise due to that. The actual name for PCOS is Stein-Leventhal Syndrome, which would possibly be better used!
Meringoo

Return to Other problems