Metformin periods

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Metformin periods

Postby BBLass » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:33 pm

I've just finished my 2nd met period (yay for an official, albeit slightly long, cycle) and I'm wondering if anyone else found their first few periods really heavy and unpleasant?

This one has been pretty grim. Thankfully it was only 6 days but was really heavy and the cramps were pretty damn painful. I don't really have periods without medication and was on dianette for many years so most of my period experience is based on this, and for me pill periods were nice and predictable and the worst I got was a monthly headache. My question really is, if people who used met to re-start their periods found the first few particularly heavy and then they settled into something like normal? The alternative is that this is normal and I'm just a bit of a real period virgin! (lol - maybe I'm getting to have the 13 yr old girl experience that I missed out on due to PCOS!!)

If this is normal (oh I hope it's not!) does anyone have any tips for reducing the unpleasantness? I've just started taking evening primrose which I've read can help but any other advice would be welcome.

Thanks for reading x
BBLass

Postby beckzstar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:36 pm

Ive been on metformin a couple of years now. It has brought back AF on a regular basis. Unfortunately this med can take several months to work properly. For me it has taken quite a long time to achieve a more normal AF. I feel so much better though, and have even started losing weight. Crazings have settled aswell. Regarding AF you may have to just hang on abit and let the meds work. Look at the different ways that you can deal with heavy AF. Im glad that I started taking it and havent looked back since starting it. For me it has given me back my life. It just may take a while. I bet this doesnt help you much, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. As it didnt make me unwell I have stayed on metformin and i dont regret it.

hope u can work it out

becks X
beckzstar

Re: Metformin periods

Postby valeche » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:14 pm

BBLass wrote:I've just finished my 2nd met period (yay for an official, albeit slightly long, cycle) and I'm wondering if anyone else found their first few periods really heavy and unpleasant?

This one has been pretty grim. Thankfully it was only 6 days but was really heavy and the cramps were pretty damn painful. I don't really have periods without medication and was on dianette for many years so most of my period experience is based on this, and for me pill periods were nice and predictable and the worst I got was a monthly headache. My question really is, if people who used met to re-start their periods found the first few particularly heavy and then they settled into something like normal? The alternative is that this is normal and I'm just a bit of a real period virgin! (lol - maybe I'm getting to have the 13 yr old girl experience that I missed out on due to PCOS!!)

If this is normal (oh I hope it's not!) does anyone have any tips for reducing the unpleasantness? I've just started taking evening primrose which I've read can help but any other advice would be welcome.

Thanks for reading x

I'm just starting a second course of metformin but my first I started taking at the beginning of November and since the beginning of December I've had 2 regular periods bang on the same date for the first time in my life, I was so chuffed!!! (pretty weird thing to be pleased about but sure you understand) However both of these periods were heavy, long and I had a large amount of clotting. Didn't go to the GP as I don't think it's something to worry about. I just saw it as I had a lot to get rid of!
I'm due again in a week so I will come back to you and let you know if this one is more 'settled' but really I'd say don't worry about it. x
Diagnosed 5 years ago: previously 2000mg metformin daily,40mg propanolol, 100mg spironolactone, vaniqua (use rarely as didn't work for me)
All above medication now stopped. Weight loss- 2stone, diet control, periods now stable. Hair growth- crazy!
valeche

Postby Redsweet » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:05 pm

I have been on metformin for 3 months now and I had my first period a month after I started on the tablets but havent had one since. At the time I did wonder whether metformin had anything to do with bringing on a period, since I had only been given them to lose weight. I do feel like I have another period coming but not entirely sure when it will be as my periods have been very irratic. However when I had them they have been very painful, very heavy but the first metformin period seemed a lot easier than normal. I don't know it how this is helpful but it might just be me.

I'm hoping to stick with it because it seems to be helping either by helping me lose weight and bring on my periods.
Diagnosed PCOS 2007
Lap & Dye Op Feb 2010
Metformin September 2010 - Present
Clomid 1st Cycle - 50mg- June 2011 - NO OV
Clomid 2nd Cycle - 100mg - August 2011 - NO OV
Due to have Ovarian Drilling
Redsweet

Postby valeche » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:13 pm

And the verdict is- it wasn't AS bad this time. Very heavy for 2 days (heavier than my 'natural' periods) but getting better so stick with it :)
Diagnosed 5 years ago: previously 2000mg metformin daily,40mg propanolol, 100mg spironolactone, vaniqua (use rarely as didn't work for me)
All above medication now stopped. Weight loss- 2stone, diet control, periods now stable. Hair growth- crazy!
valeche

Postby Mrs_B_24 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:47 am

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in. I've noticed this topic hasn't had any postings recently and was wondering how you are all getting on?

I am nearly a week into taking Met for the first time and am really really hoping for a period soon but Dr has started me on 500mg then increasing to 1000mg in couple of days so doubt its going to come anytime soon :cry: knowing my luck it wont come at all! :roll:

Hope you are all doing well :D
1000mg Metformin (500mg Twice a day.)
TTC since Dec '08.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Mrs_B_24

Postby BBLass » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:52 am

It's about 12 month's since I started on Met and the periods definitely got better but they seem to have gone awol again now....frustratingly!! I'm still on 2000mg but I have an appointment with the Endocrinologist next week so hopefully she'll have some words of wisdom. Regardless of the ridiculously long 'month' I seem to be on now, Met has meant I've had the recommended 3/4 periods a year so at least my uterus is healthy!

Definitely stick with it and see how you go, you'll probably get more period action once you increase your dosage though. Good luck x x x
BBLass

Return to Other problems