newly diagnoed with ibs help?

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

newly diagnoed with ibs help?

Postby babybutterfly » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:11 am

i was today diagnosed with ibs my gp says diet is th eonly way to help but didnt suggest what to eat or not eat instead adviced me to use a diet diary to help work out what causes my attacks which is fine and i will do the diary starting today. but im asking here now for help on what to eat that will help me i get the constipation side of ibs and aam constantly bloated and have severe pain too :( any advice on diet would be great ive been put on tablets for the pain which i will also start today my gp wants me on them now. after all the struggling with my old gp im finally getting somewhere and had a diagnosis of ibs which ive been trying to tell my old gp ive had for maybe 2years now.

thanks in advance for any help
d/x jan 09
ibs 4/10/10
1st m/c 08
19 weeks gestation
2nd m/c 09 6 weeks gestation
been with dbf for 3 years
2 children 1 step child
5 fur babies
1 non fur baby (tortoise lol)
not ttc
babybutterfly

Postby mizuza » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:38 am

ask to be referred to a dieticain, i did the few foods diet its tough everything is limited for 3 weeks then you introduce one thing at at time, but now i know exactly what causes my probs. there are some good books on the market and some great ibs forums, but ibs is persoal and why cut out things you dont have too, i had a year of agony and usffering before i said look nothing you give me works refer me to a dieticain so i can gain some control, dairy and wheat especially whole grain really hurt, lentils have to be pureed and skins of raw fruit or veg can flare up the pain,but peeling apples and cooking veg or eating raw small amounts and eating the main food befre the salad helps

check out eatng for ibs and ibs first year for tips, that combined with a dietician so you can find ou what really effects you should help loads

all the best
mizuza
mizuza

Postby babybutterfly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:46 pm

MIZUZA- thanks so much for your reply hun and all the help and advice aswell i will now go and see my gp and ask for a dietician to see if they could help withthe attacks. In all honesty the tablets he's given me arnt doing a great deal at all ive not been able to take them since sunday (17/10/10) due to having an operation so ive not really been eating a whole lot since and also with not eating alot and not taking the tablets ive not had the swelling or the pain so maybe the tablets were makin it worse or maybe its the minimal intake on food who knows but i'll def go to my gp and see if i can be seen by a dietician.

Thanks again for your help and advice i will def take it and use it.
d/x jan 09
ibs 4/10/10
1st m/c 08
19 weeks gestation
2nd m/c 09 6 weeks gestation
been with dbf for 3 years
2 children 1 step child
5 fur babies
1 non fur baby (tortoise lol)
not ttc
babybutterfly

Postby mizuza » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:21 pm

glad it helped. i know how bad it can get so the dietician is the best route.. its tough cutting everything out, but so so worth it....good luck x
mizuza
mizuza

Postby emily84 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:18 am

I also have IBS, had great trouble with it in my teens. My suggestion is keep a food diary, helped me a lot. Note down what you've eaten and how your pains are at the time, if they increase after so long etc. I discovered baking potatoes set me off and I got bloated after too much dairy. Peppermint tea helps a lot too.

As your doc may have told you, unfortunatly IBS is just about managing you symptoms and I found a food diary a good place to start.

Emily
emily84

Return to Other problems