Lactating breasts (no babies! never been pregnant!)

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Lactating breasts (no babies! never been pregnant!)

Postby BrokenLogic » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:49 am

I have had lactating breasts since I hit puberty and since finding out that I have PCOS wondered whether this is a symptom. My doctor has said that it's not and I need to keep going back to have blood tests but I really can't see the point as it hasn't changed that much over the years.

To explain a bit more graphically... I have a cloudy fluid that can squirt quite quickly from my nipple if squeezed round the areola. The Mongomery glands have a white substance which I have heard is normal but is very, very noticeable, like spots. Also the teat has the same sort of white substance by the surface, which if squeezed is like the pus of a spot but thicker. Also my nipples constantly have skin peeling off of them too. Moisturising cream makes no difference.

Does anyone know what might be causing these things?
Laura - BrokenLogic
Diagnosed September 2009

PCOS Calendar 2010 - Click to join in!
BrokenLogic

Postby Annoldie » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:24 pm

I used to have this problem. I understand it is related to PCOS, it makes sense given our hormone problems. Will see if I can find some information about it later and let you know. Ann
Annoldie

Postby BrokenLogic » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:01 am

Thank you so much!
Laura - BrokenLogic
Diagnosed September 2009

PCOS Calendar 2010 - Click to join in!
BrokenLogic

Postby Annoldie » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:11 pm

Sorry, I haven't forgotten. Have collected a lot of stuff about pcos and I know it's here some where! Will keep looking.
Annoldie

Postby Flower69 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:55 pm

Browsing the forum at the moment and had to post a reply to you.

Hopefully you've gotten to the root of your problem now. If not though, could be worth getting your doctor to check out your prolactin levels to rule out the presence of a Prolactinoma. A Prolactinoma is a Prolactin-producing tumour of the Pituitary gland. One symptom of these is lactating breasts. There is a lot of information available on Prolactinomas on the web. A good place to check out for further information is the Pituitary Foundation website.

Hope you get everything sorted soon
Flower69

Re: Lactating breasts (no babies! never been pregnant!)

Postby emma1505 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:20 pm

BrokenLogic wrote:I have had lactating breasts since I hit puberty and since finding out that I have PCOS wondered whether this is a symptom. My doctor has said that it's not and I need to keep going back to have blood tests but I really can't see the point as it hasn't changed that much over the years.

To explain a bit more graphically... I have a cloudy fluid that can squirt quite quickly from my nipple if squeezed round the areola. The Mongomery glands have a white substance which I have heard is normal but is very, very noticeable, like spots. Also the teat has the same sort of white substance by the surface, which if squeezed is like the pus of a spot but thicker. Also my nipples constantly have skin peeling off of them too. Moisturising cream makes no difference.

Does anyone know what might be causing these things?

broken logic,i started to lactate when i was 13! i too have never been pregnant.it even happens when im sleeping! i had blood tests to check my prolactin level as high levels can cause this problem.my levels were fine so the hospital said it was part of my pcos.i was referred to a breast clinic who said my only options were tp put up with it or having the milk ducts in my boobs removed! they were meant to send for me to discuss this option further but they never did,i have been lost in the system.i have never chased it up.it still happens now,not every day but regularly,it gets me down waking up with wet patches on my nighshirt,i feel so unatural
emma1505

Return to Other problems