Splitting Nails!

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Splitting Nails!

Postby carojohnson18 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:39 pm

ARGH!!!!! i used to have beautiful nails, i decided just after xmas i would chop them all off to nothing and start again to help them get nice and strong, but since then got diagnosed wtih PCOS and put onto Metformin and also a course of Provera. But i can't seem to be able to get my nails to grow now, they are flaking and splitting which they have never done, can this be the meds? i jsut feel like i'm constantly filing my nails and proably am just going to chop them all off again and keep them short! GRRRRR

Sorry hubby no back scratching for you!!
You smile because I'm different; I laugh because your all the same!

-------------------------
TTC since October 2008
Diagnosed finally Jan 2010

A paranormal investigator/pencil pusher/psychic medium/domestic goddess...... just not all at once!!!
carojohnson18

Postby ladyblues » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:51 pm

AVON do some lovely nail treatments which I am sure would have your nails looking fab again in no time.

I am a fan of the Nail Experts Cuticle Balm, 4 -in-1 Nail Buffer, Nail Experts Strong Results and Avon Care Rich Moisture Glycerine Calcium Hand and Nail Cream

Check out the site http://avonshop.co.uk/

The buffer is on sale just now as are a few other products :)
ladyblues

Postby carojohnson18 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:00 pm

i think i'm going to have to pull out the manicure set!

TTC since October 2008

A paranormal investigator/pencil pusher/psychic medium/domestic goddess...... just not all at once!!!
carojohnson18

Postby kymberley » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:59 am

I have the same problems..but I turned to Sally Hensen's nail products and thats tend to help my nails grow and stay strong..I can't seem to stop the splitting though :(
“Be faithful to that which exists nowhere but in yourself- and thus make yourself indispensableâ€
kymberley

Postby Auntie Sar » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:56 am

I suffered from weak and splitting nails for years. The doc put me on iron tablets because I had anaemia. Since then my nails have improved a lot. It may be coincidence but who knows. I am on met too.

Sar
Auntie Sar

Postby LushieVix » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:37 pm

My nails have got worse and are splitting too since starting metformin. One thing i've found helpful is taking cod liver oil capsules daily and now my nails are improving and seem to be growing faster too
LushieVix

Postby carojohnson18 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:01 pm

i seem to go through phases with my nqils, on friday i managed to rip off 3 right down, grr which really hurt! so chop chop chop, i now have no nails! but at least i do find thqt in doing thqt they do grow bqck stronger, i massage in oil to them most nights and that does seem to help

TTC since October 2008

carojohnson18

Postby ShiningStar1980 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:03 pm

I have terrible trouble with splitting nails too.
Im getting a treatment called Calgel done at the weekend. Sposed to help strengthen them.
Might be worth checking out if you havent already.
x
Baby Harris born at 27+6w, 2lb 9oz
ImageImage
Baby Orla born 37w2d, 8lb 0.5oz
ShiningStar1980

Postby aniaraven » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:26 pm

I started to take sea kelp for weight loss and it is meant to help with nails and hair!
aniaraven

Postby buzzybumble » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:17 pm

ShiningStar1980 wrote:I have terrible trouble with splitting nails too.
Im getting a treatment called Calgel done at the weekend. Sposed to help strengthen them.
Might be worth checking out if you havent already.
x

how does it work? something they just paint on? let us know how it goes :) :)
bee x
buzzybumble

Postby ShiningStar1980 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:20 am

Yeah, its a gel that goes over the top of your own nail.
Apparently it can last a couple of months and you can get it filled in if you want to keep it on.
You can get it in different colours but im just having mine french painted.

Will let you know what its like.
ImageImage
ShiningStar1980

Postby buzzybumble » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:11 pm

Sounds good - is it a local salon you go to? my nails are really bad these days, they split with a little knock or for no reason at all and dont grow like they used to :( but i cant find anywhere good to go to get them done :?.
bee x
buzzybumble

Postby ShiningStar1980 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:05 pm

Yeah. Its my local salon. TBH they are the only place ive seen doing calgel, but it might be worth having a scout around to see if anyone does it in your area.
There may be a website too but i havent checked it out.
ImageImage
ShiningStar1980

Postby PixieChick » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:29 am

Mine are awful!

They are quite flexible and i get flakes in the tips of them that then just tear off quite low down, I keep filling them right down and I've moved my cuticle, handcream and strengthener onto my desk so I keep slapping stuff on as soon as it's quiet at work ....which isnt very often at the moment!

If I paint them I get chunks of polish coming off the ends where they're bendy. Makes me so sad :cry:

My toenails tho are so strong I could do with trimming them with an angle grinder or something, I broke the last pair of clippers on them :oops:
PixieChick

Postby ShiningStar1980 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:36 pm

I had the calgel done today and im really pleased so far.

Basically its a gel that goes on top of your own nail and its heat set.
I had the pale pink with a french tip but there are about 30 different colours you can get.
I can paint over the gel with a normal colour varnish if i want to. As long as you use non-acetone remover you can paint and remove as much as you want and the gel wont come off without acetone (ive not tested this yet tho).

She even managed to save my nails that had split and were tearing at the sides by using a silk wrap on the nail before the gel is applied. You cant even see the wrap.
My nails are really tough now so i dont think theres anyway they can tear while the gel is on.

So far so good and im thinking a good solution to weak splitting nails so might be worth checking out if youre a long term sufferer like me.

x
ImageImage
ShiningStar1980

Next

Return to Other problems