Long term effects of PCOS

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Long term effects of PCOS

Postby sashamcdonnell » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:37 am

Hi ladies

I have had pcos since I was 15 yrs of age and now reaching 40 next year. I Have been through the emotional journey of ttc and finally adopted a little girl then concieved on the dietcare plan, formerly Vitaline.

Over the last year, I have become really worried about the long term effects of having this illness, as I am having night sweats and still suffering badly with facial hair and all the normal symptoms of pcos.

I have reduced my symptoms 100% due to treating my metabolism, but wanted to ask any older ladies than me, do you still suffer with the mood swings etc, do you out grow the pcos and gone through the change of life, simply now do not have any symptoms.

I would love not to be under an endocryniologist for the rest of my life. xxx

Advice please xx
sashamcdonnell

Postby babycakes » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:19 pm

Hi there,cant offer any advice,need it myself really,im 42 so couple of years older than you.Ive had 2 husbands and ttc with both of them with no joy.Hubby number 2 who im still with is 36 and has low count as well so added probs.Im currently waiting for app to see weight managemnt doc at hospital as opposed to dietician.Hopefully they wil prescribe reductil which i have been on before and lost a stone,only weight i ever managed to lose,good for me but when u need to lose about 4 stone then not too good.I had to come of it before as blood pressure went up.Hoping because weight fella prescribes it then doc will see its outweighing the blood presure probs.Ineed to lose the weight to carry on ttc via the hospital if my periods ever decide to return.Got to get BMI down from 36.8 to 30.Currently on 7th month of provera days 1 to 21,but apart from 5 week period at the start ive seen nothing for last 15 or so weeks.My probs seem to of got worse with age,now no periods,permanently hungry,mood swings,facial hair,breast pain which ive never had,depressed and my IBS has returned last few months with a vengence.In one way i waish i was about 20 years younger,so much seems to be available now that wasnt when i was diagnosed in my early 20s.Feel like im a guinea pig for the nhs pcos brigade as im an "older woman"now with pcos rather than jus ive got pcos.
Im married,42
Diagnosed PCOS 21,2nd hubby low count.
M/C at 12 weeks,1990 via Clomid.Now on provera.
Im fed up with PCOS SYMPTOMS!!
babycakes

Postby sashamcdonnell » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:34 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I suppose I will be treated the same way. I did get pregnant after 13 yrs of ttc treating my metabolism, which I never knew could be affected due to pcos. In all the books it mentions it but never really focused on.

My story is on www.dietcare-pcos.com

Please do not think I am saying this is the answer as it may not suit everyone but there are certain foods which aggrevate this condition and even just avoiding these can help.

Sasha
x
sashamcdonnell

Postby ladyblues » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:42 am

Have you thought about laser hair removal for the hair?

And also some alternative therapies for the sweats/hot flushes etc
ladyblues

Postby sashamcdonnell » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:19 pm

I have had Laser treatment on the NHS, but they only offered 6 treatments.

I have a full grown stubble and have to shave each day with a razor, I thought the pill would of reduced it but not I am afraid.

Thanks for the reply
sashamcdonnell

Postby ladyblues » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:15 pm

thats good that you got it on the NHS.
I never attempted to get it on the NHS as it seemed pointless even trying.
I am under-going laser for a half face :oops: with skn clinic.
The results so far have been good and worth every penny.
I am having my 5th treatment tomorrow :)

I know for us PCOS ladies the laser treatments have to be kept up but I hope its something you will be able to have again in the future.

have you tried vaniqua cream which can be given on perscription?
It doesnt remove the hair but it is said to slow the growth down.

also I believe there are some anti androgen drugs that can be given and used for hair growth.
ladyblues

Postby sashamcdonnell » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:06 pm

Thanks for the advice. xxx

I am pleased to hear it is going well for you xxx
sashamcdonnell

Postby debware37 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:15 am

hi sasha its been years since I heard from you,, its Debbie here I think you one who along with others set up the original pcos group before it merged with Verity,,

anyway,, I wil be the same age as you I will be 40 in July,, and had my diagnosis 9 years ago after having once son after comming straight of the pill at 24 (been on it since 15) anyway I had 3 MCs before diagnosis, then a further 2,, before being told No more without IVF,, anyway I had Josh 3 years ago,, after 5 years not not even trying but not Contraception either,,

anyway I am starting with the hot flushes, moods, night sweats and there is a ? as to wether I am starting the menopause or yet another think of PCOS.. from what I have read and researched,, going through the menopause will only knock out the bleeding and endo pains If you get them and the S** gets better as you worry less about getting PG,, or MC.. but the rest is still there, the hair growth,, (my mum, aunt and nan all have that) plus all the associated risks of diabetes,, because its all hormone and metabolic related and not to do with the ovaries,, and the hormones are in the piturity gland,, which well and truly peed me off,, thinking of getting a hysto but that wont help really either,,

also thinking about paying vast amounts for Laser as I want more confidence back,,

hope your doing ok Sasha..
debware37

Postby Annoldie » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi Ladies, Have to agree with what Debware says, the menopause closes down all the reproductive related problems of PCOS but the rest continue. I think Endometriosis can still be a problem, especially if it has spread to the abdominal cavity, but I think the treatment for that has improved considerably in the last few years. Very little research has been done on PCOS, and the menopause / post menopause, it is badly needed. Part of the problem seems to be that so many older women are undiagnosed and this is not helped by the fact that women with PCOS are largely ignored by the medics once they have completed their families. To some extent things change after the menopause - you have probably worked out the best treatment for your problems and learned to live with the rest - no matter how unwillingly Your friends also have some granny hairs, how you look seems to matter a bit less. If you look at the fashion magazines you will find clothes and advice for women up to the age of 60, then we disappear! If you are going to have laser treatment get it done before your hair goes grey/white because it doesn't work then, and try to get and keep your weight down because it is even more difficult if not impossible if you have arthritis and you may have a real battle to get joint replacements. Depression and mood swings improve. Ann
Annoldie

Return to Other problems