What contraception!?......

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

What contraception!?......

Postby hayleymurdock » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:39 pm

Hi

I was just wondering what everyone's opinion is on suitable contraception when you have pcos?

I used to be on the pill, but it made me feel terrible while I was on it, so I decided to come off it, and I’m glad I came off of it as it totally ruined my cycle that I had before I went on the pill. I used to have periods every 2 months before the pill, but after coming off of it, it took 9 months to get a period again, and they were so irregular, extremely heavy, and now can sometimes last up to a month at a time....which is so annoying! So basically it made my symptoms worse so I don't want to risk going on the pill again as I do want to TTC one day and I feel like I would be risking my chances by going on the pill again....

Basically I would just like to know what suggestions and experiences everyone has using alternative contraception or if anyone has had a problem fee experience on a pill?

Thanks in advance
If something is worth having its worth working for
hayleymurdock

Postby Meringoo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:09 pm

The pills Marvelon and Yasmin did nothing bad to my natural cycle after coming off them in the past, in fact my natural cycle improved dramatically.

Otherwise, you could try non-hormonal methods such as the IUD, cap/diaphragm, or condoms..

I love the pill, though it can take a while to find one that suits you. It is so convenient and reliable in my opinion. Plus pain free in comparison to getting an IUD!

Have a look at contraception on netdoctor.co.uk, I find that site really helpful. xx
Meringoo

Postby hayleymurdock » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:00 pm

Hi

Thanks for your advise, i may look into them in more detail....all though i have been seriously put off by my bad experiences with the pill, but i have seen these mentioned quite a bit on the forum. if you dont mind me asking, have you concieved after coming off the pill? if so how long did it take? Im just really worried about ruining my chances in the future.

have you tried an IUD in the past?

Thanks
If something is worth having its worth working for
hayleymurdock

Postby Meringoo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi,

I would really recommend those pills. I am currently on Cilest which seems to be good too.

I haven't actually tried to conceive but after stopping those pills I know I was ovulating, could feel the pain!

I would recommend trying another pill before the IUD, which tends to irritate the womb if you haven't been stretched by carrying a baby - sorry to be blunt, but I had quite a few problems and had mine taken out!! Also, I know it may be rarer now but the insertion of an IUD does carry a risk of infection which can lead to PID and therefore infertility. My mum got an infection with her first IUD, and was lucky to get it treated so she could have kids!! Not trying to scare anybody, but it is true and should be considered.

If you don't want to have regular monthly bleeds on the pill, you can safely take up to 6 packs without a break. I usually take 2 or 3 as I also have endometriosis so it can help with pain, and makes life far easier! It can also help lessen the effects of PMT, breast tenderness, acne and weight changes. xx
Meringoo

Postby buzzybumble » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:14 pm

Meringoo wrote:If you don't want to have regular monthly bleeds on the pill, you can safely take up to 6 packs without a break. I usually take 2 or 3 as I also have endometriosis so it can help with pain, and makes life far easier! It can also help lessen the effects of PMT, breast tenderness, acne and weight changes. xx

is this on any pill or certain ones?
bee x
buzzybumble

Postby Meringoo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:53 pm

On any combined pill, however you may experience some spotting or breakthrough bleeding if you try it for more than 3 months. This isn't harmful nor does it lower contraceptive efficacy, it's just annoying!

The reason it isn't in the instructions is that most women prefer the idea of taking something that mimics their natural cycle.

If you go without shedding the lining of the womb for a few months, it is bad for you when you are not taking the combined or progestogen-only pill
because it builds up in an unhealthy way, whereas ON the pill it doesn't build up much at all so it is safe.

You may find that pills that contain less than 30mg of oestrogen are not as good at controlling bleeding when used in this way.

I have so far tried this on Marvelon, Yasmin and Cilest and have been successful.

Hope this helps xx
Meringoo

Postby buzzybumble » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:03 pm

Thank you :).
bee x
buzzybumble

Postby Meringoo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:32 pm

You're welcome. My gynae told me to do it ages ago and so it a GP, due to my PMT, acne, pain issues...it can help.

I think lots of doctors are not confident enough to suggest these things. x
Meringoo

Postby Doobykat » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:53 am

Everyone is different when it comes to contraception, I think, and what will suit one will not necessarily suit another.

Have to say that I'm the opposite to Meringoo!
I had no end of problems on the pill (weight gain, high blood pressure...) but found the IUD/coil fantastic. The only reason I had it removed was due to wanting to ttc but had had the Mirena coil in place for a good four years previously with no problems, either at the fitting or afterwards.
After stopping the pill, like you Hayley, I found that the regular cycle that I'd had prior to taking the pill had completely disappeared. In fact my periods completely disappeared for over a year before coming back, but they've never been the same since the pill :?
I was rather limited by my choice of contraception though, post pill, as I have a latex allergy, which rules out most condoms and caps and my GP wasn't keen for me to use any of the injections or implants, given the effect the pill had had on me.

Dooby x
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1db91a
MM/C Dec 2008 - 10w
MM/C Aug 2012 - 14w
Doobykat

Postby redrubyfairy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:42 pm

Hi there Hayley, I'm beginning to ask myself the same question as you, as of today, I've found that the pill I was on (Microgynon 30) was giving me high blood pressure! I was really shocked when the nurse told me I wasn't allowed any more of those pills, I'm only 21! She's now put me on a combined pill called Cerazette which will hopefully work for me and my body. If not, I will have to try other forms of contraception, such as the implant, the coil and injections. My mums had a coil for years now and has never had any problems. My boyfriend has been lovely about it, which is really important to me and hasn't made a fuss about having to use condoms for the next few days just to be extra safe. I therefore hope you find the right contraception for yourself soon! It can be a real pain, I understand that, but it'll all work :) x
''If I'd observed all the rules, I'd never have got anywhere''-Marilyn Monroe
redrubyfairy

Postby Meringoo » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:46 pm

It is really tricky. I tried Cerazette, which isn't a combined pill but a progestogen-only pill, hence why it is safe to use if you have high blood pressure or are contraindicted by the oestrogen in the combined pill. As far as progestogen-only pills for PCOS ladies, I'd say it's probably the best, but personally I didn't like the side effects I got. However lots of women love it. It does suppress ovulation, which the other P-only pills don't (as a primary function) so it's good for cysts.

With Cerazette, I have been advised it takes between 6 months and 1 year for the "no period" effect to happen, and other side effects to settle. But for many women, it's worth waiting for. I would definitely try this pill again rather than have an IUD or Mirena or anything else other than the combined pill to be honest!

:D

xx
Meringoo

Postby charmedlittlemomma » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:17 pm

I gave up on the pill after trying virtually every brand on the market. Dianette was the worst though. My GP and I both believe that I am allergic to the synthetic hormones in the pill.

My GP recommended a Merina coil, and although I was extremely nervous about getting it fitted and the possible side effects (yes, I read all the scare stories on Google) I proceeded with the fitting 3 weeks ago.

I have had no problems so far. The fitting was a breeze and even though there are hormones in the Merina too, the dose is so low and confined to the womb, that it has NO effect on my moods etc.

I know that some people do have bad experiences with the Merina, but I wanted to let you know that some of us really like it! :D
charmedlittlemomma

Postby TigerLily » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:40 am

Another mirena fan here too!

I've had mine for just over a year. Fitting was easy (but then I have had to large babies!) and no problems since.
I bled for 2 days after fitting and absolutely nothing since, not a drop :shock:
TigerLily
Local Group Leader

Postby Meringoo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:56 pm

Glad you're both getting on fine with the Mirena, I do wonder whether it would be good for me in the future as I have endometriosis too, and some doctors recommend it...but after my IUD experience so far, think I'll wait until I'm less "snug" shall we say... :D

xx
Meringoo

Return to Other problems