early puberty

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

early puberty

Postby LEILA » Fri May 01, 2009 11:49 am

a rather strange and quick question....did all the ladies on here who have pcos start puberty at an early age?? i remember i started when i was at junior school which shocked my mum and amazed my sister plus a friend of mine who has pcos started early as well im wondering because of that will it mean i'll start the menopause earlier and whether early puberty is linked to possbile pcos in future???
LEILA

Postby ladyblues » Fri May 01, 2009 11:56 am

I started developing at 13 and by 15 I started having problems with my periods. Then at 17 I was given my 1st diagnosis on PCOS

At 20 I had to go through the diagnostic procedures again which confirmed again that I have PCOS

My symptoms have worsened as I have gained weight and so I am hoping that losing some weight and taking a bucket load of certain vitamins etc will help me :oops:
ladyblues

Postby Mrs Wilko » Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm

My periods started when I was 10 and I was the only one in the entire school! I remember being incredibly embarrassed when the whole class was going swimming and people looking at me and also having the 'period talk' with teachers and my friends knowing I already knew this stuff.... I also physically developed very early and remember being teased cause I had boobs at junior school!

I started having trouble when I was about 13 or 14 and had an awfully long bleed which ended up with me seeing a gynae - since then it's been a long hard struggle and finally being diagnosed with PCOS at 26.

I remember noticing symptoms of PCOS very early and not thinking of it - it was only after going to the gp's a hundred times before I got a referral.... I had loads of people ignore me and even had a break of over 2 years without bleeding and the gp didn't do anything about it...

I have read somewhere that there may be a link between starting puberty early and having PCOS...
Natural surprises BFP 07/2007 and 01/2012

PCOS diet 10/2010 to 11/2011 lost 7st in total BMI down from 48 to 28
Back again to loose the weight after a break (and a baby!) 01/2013

*Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Mrs Wilko
Verity Moderator

Postby honeypots » Fri May 01, 2009 1:13 pm

no, i started when i was 13 (i was one of the later ones on my class) and from there my periods never evened out the regularity, so i knew there was a problem.
honeypots

Postby babycakes » Sat May 02, 2009 2:17 pm

It was 2 days before my 12th birthday when i started,woke up one morning and was covered,went downstairs to my mum and she just said go back to bed while she went and brought me some dr whites and an horrible sanitary belt :( ,blimey how long ago that seems now :lol: 30 years this july of this curse. Even though mum had given me "the talk" thinking back i can remember feeling just like carrie from the film when she is in the shower. Cant imagine how i would of felt if been younger.
Im married,42
Diagnosed PCOS 21,2nd hubby low count.
M/C at 12 weeks,1990 via Clomid.Now on provera.
Im fed up with PCOS SYMPTOMS!!
babycakes

Postby *Becca » Sat May 02, 2009 3:11 pm

Yeah I was 10 and still in primary school. It was a couple of months before I turned 11. Really embarassing on year 6 camp and trying to get out of swimming lessons with excuses like "hurt my ankle" haha. the teachers must have known really! :roll:
*Becca

Postby baglady5 » Sat May 02, 2009 7:42 pm

Hi everyone. Ilso started my periods at 10.I think there were 2 other girls at primary school who had them as well. It was so :oops: when i went camping with the girl guides and i lost my towels and someone found them. Iwas so embarassed i didnt ask for them back and hd to mke do with toilet roll. Isnt it funny that when we were kids we didnt want periods and now we're older,doing everything humanly possilbe to get them back.
baglady5

Postby darkembers » Sat May 30, 2009 11:23 pm

Mine started just as i turned 11. They where unbelievably painful, they used to double me over and made me feel really sick... my mum made me go to school with them even though i could hardly walk. They used to last me about 10 days and i was never regular even back then. Remember being taught in school that it should happen every 28 days and wondering why it didnt happen like that for me.

Dont know which is worse now, not having them or going through that!
darkembers

Postby Hols969 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:53 pm

I was a late starter at 15 so not sure its related.
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby ameythyst_rune » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:04 pm

I started properly at the age of 10 and a half although I'd been spotting irregularly and having pains since the age of 8 or 9. Because I had to stay in year 5 twice (because of birthday related issues and doing the 11+) I was the only girl in the year who'd started their AF and who wore a bra. At that time I had a size 8-10 figure with B cup boobs and was 5ft 3. (Which my mum loves to remind me about - how i used to have such a nice figure and now i'm 5ft 8 with a 18 bottoms and 24 top with an apple shape) I was also hairy as hell even then, although the facial hair hadn't developed fully.

My dad's sister also started early at 9 (i think) but she hasn't got PCOS. Research does say there is a link to early periods and development and PCOS but i think it depends on the person and their family history of puberty starting ages. Kids also seem to be going through puberty younger and younger because of the rise of obesity (there is a minimum weight before the body's hormones kick into action around 7 stone?) and because of the rise of additives in foods. Although rare, there have been reports of toddlers who have started their periods and who are put on tablets to halt the process.
t.t.c since 04/2007.
got married 12/8/2011
finally confirmed PCOS (2013 after ? since teens) and type 2 diabetes.
Just been confirmed funding for Gastric Bypass Operation - waiting referral appt.
ameythyst_rune

Postby badlydrawnkel » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:23 pm

I had hair and boobies when I was about 8/9 and had a period when I was 11. Then I didn't have another until I was about 13 then they were never regular. My mum always knew I had PCOS, but knew she couldn't take me until I was 16.

kelbel xxx
Diagnosed 2002

Dianette for 2yrs
Yasmin until 2008, stopped to try to have natural cycles.
Xenicol June 2009
badlydrawnkel

Postby Meringoo » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:34 pm

Yep....I had just turned 11 the week before. Most excruciating and traumatic experience was my first period. So much so the doc came round and gave me painkillers for adults! I had started developing boobs around 10 - not big but all the pains etc. Also started getting spots at 9/10 years.

By 12 I had piled on the pounds, had a rubbish metabolism despite being physically active all the time, couldn't lose the weight. I wasn't obese, but the doctors all said I was greedy and lazy, which wasn't the case.

At 16 went on Dianette for acne....19 dx with PCOS...and now 23 have endometriosis too, which explains the pain side I guess!

Ah...such is life lol!
Meringoo

Postby barnsleywiccan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:13 pm

I started my periods when I was 12. They were exceedingly heavy and painful and I leaked quite a few times :( :oops:

They stopped altogether at 17 and a large cyst was discovered. They stopped again Autumn 2008 and tests showed PCOS.

Now they come every 3-4 months.
barnsleywiccan

Postby still a mum » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:17 pm

yes i also started my periods aged 10 and never really linked it to my pcos so thats interesting!

I thought i was weird but now i know it seems quite normal!
DD angel Emon died aged 1 mth old.miss u x
ivf#1 feb 09 BFP! MC twins @ 8wks
IVF#2 mar 10 BFP! MC @4wks
thawing embryo's 22.12.10 x failed FET:(
in memory of Emon x
still a mum

Postby kymberley » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:18 pm

I was about 11 or 12 when I started my periods and started to develope..I have always had heavy periods but never on time which was a pain and lets just say that P.E at school rarely had me attending. Last couple of years I have had lighter periods with some months with nothing in sight but I've only experienced period pain..twice if that.
“Be faithful to that which exists nowhere but in yourself- and thus make yourself indispensableâ€
kymberley

Next

Return to Other problems