IBS and PCOS?

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

IBS and PCOS?

Postby paulak » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:37 pm

Hi

I have recently been suffering with IBS which gets alot worse around 'that time of the month'

I am bloated and in pain every time I eat, been to the docs and they have prescribed Senna and Lactulose.

I mentioned my PCOS but as per usual they aren't bothered....are the 2 linked?

Thanks Girls :D xxx
paulak

Postby babycakes » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:08 pm

I have ibs and pcos,mine seemed to start after a m/c years so i would say they are linked,i get really bad a day or 2 before i start,cant leave house sometimes cause of the runs :oops: Stress is also major factor so pcos and ttc is a nightmare at times.Only times ive felt "normal" was when i was on exclusion diet from hospital but could hardly eat owt or when i was on reductil,think this was because whole system slowed down so body had time to use the nutrients,might also of been low gi diet i was on at time,i had to come off reductil though due to high blood pressure.Im on last couple of days of first months cycle of provera,to get periods regular and due to start on monday so dreading it.There are some other forums on here,cant remember where though.If u have a look through my messages u will find them as i posted on them. Have u tried codeine phosphate for pain or loperamide for the runs,im on regular supply of these,keeps it in check but dont stop really serious bouts.Al depends if your blocked or loose though.
Im married,42
Diagnosed PCOS 21,2nd hubby low count.
M/C at 12 weeks,1990 via Clomid.Now on provera.
Im fed up with PCOS SYMPTOMS!!
babycakes

Postby cherishu2 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:35 pm

I have suffered severe IBS for many years. I did find a site that said it was linked. But it was yonks ago and cant remember the name of it.
At times it can affect my life soooooo much.
Ive tried lots of meds but theyre pretty rubbish.
I feel for you
mum to 7. stu,phil,jarred,ashley,chloe,shayla and millie. Time to cross my legs lol
cherishu2

Postby Wispa » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:31 pm

I suffer with both, but have been taking Aloe vera jucie for some time now, which has helped out quite a bit with my IBS, plus watching the foods i eat.

I think i was diagnosed with IBS before PCOS, but to be truthful i think i have had PCOS longer as i really suffered very long heavy periods from about 12 years old.
Wispa

Postby tinamk1wales » Fri May 01, 2009 7:44 am

I have both also i was diagnosed with IBS when i was 19 im now 22 and i was diagnosed with PCOS last year, im convinced that PCOS runs in familys as my nan had problems but never had diagnosis or treatment and my aunt has just had a cyst burnt away and endometriosis burnt, apparently cysts are quite common in my dads side of the family the men get them externally and the woman internally, my father was nearly bald by the time he was 18 and my brother at the age of 17 to much testosterone!

so i reckon the odds were stacked against me from the time my mum conceived me. lol
tinamk1wales

Postby wishing » Fri May 01, 2009 8:00 am

I have just been diagnosed with PCOS (took until now to be diagnosed as I was on BCP) but Ive had IBS for 5 years now, Im currently reading managing PCOS for Dummies and it says as follows:
'Many women with PCOS have digestive problems, especially constipation and IBS. The reason why is not clear but it can be linked to the fact that you may have a lowered metabolic rate after a meal which may result in food taking longer to digest and food not being digested efficiently.'

Im not sure that makes much sense but it does at least link the two problems.
TTC since Sep 2008. Diagnosed PCOS 28/04/09
12 cycles clomid August 09 - January 11
July 10 HSG
January 11 Being referred for IVF.
20/02/11 BFP!!! on clomid cycle No 12
17/03/11 early scan :-) saw our teeny tiny baby & heart beat 7+4
19/04/11 dating scan, amazing!!! dated 13+1
20 week scan was amazing :-)
8/11/11 our beautiful baby boy Callum arrived!
wishing

Hi Ladies

Postby emilylovesbagpuss » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:39 am

Hello Ladies
HAve any of you looked into wheat intollerance? I have suffered with what seemed like IBS for years but when my son was weaned, he suffered the same problems as me and the hospital are investigating coleac disease. Anyway. Both my son and I are on a wheat and gluten free diet and out symptoms are gone. I have introducted a bit of gluten and have had no ill effects and both of us have had a negative coeliac screen - so I think it is caused by wheat. I hope you get my drift, things are a bit muddled at the min. Hope it helps :)
emilylovesbagpuss

Postby LATINA30 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:33 pm

I have had IBS for just over 12 years or so, here are my recommendations

1.Follow an exclusion diet to find out your triggers, I personally recommend the one in 'No more IbS' book by Maryon Stewart and Dr Alan Stewart, its a bit of a long book but very informative and will definately help you sleep lol! also keep a food and symptoms diary which will hopefully help you to identify triggers.

2. Take meds for your symptoms IF it helps you, I was told to make myself 'go' with senna and make it 'stop' with immodium which is rediculous, I felt I did not want to control my stomach with drugs :cry:

I take colofac before meals if my tummy is bad, i suffer with painful wind and bloating but the colofac eases it somewhat, some people prefer peppermint capsules (colpermin) but i find they just make your wind smell minty (which is not the best party trick lol!) :oops: :oops:

I also find Buscopan good for stomach spasms as its an antispasmodic, I get pain and spasms when I get a 'runny tummy' , may be worth a try.

I have reduced wheat and dairy (as dairy is said to be mucus forming), I have not cut them out totally but tend to reserve them for special treats!
This is something I have found that helps me, but everyone is different!
:lol:

Lastly stock up on peppermint tea, I am partial to 'Teapigs' and 'Sympathy Tea Company' tea brands, both can be found online, Twinings does the job too and is less expensive, I find it helps if i have a cup after a meals as it settles my tummy, also if its 'rumbly' :roll:

Hope this helps x
LATINA30

Postby LATINA30 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:34 pm

P.S yes pcos and ibs are linked!
LATINA30

Postby Meringoo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:38 pm

Yes IBS and gynae issues such as endometriosis and PCOS are linked. Particularly with Endometriosis, but I think PCOS has a link with IBS symptoms too.
Meringoo

Postby debware87 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:08 pm

Hi There, I have PCOS and IBS,, the IBS i was told I had 2 years ago as a result of a very stressfull moment in my life, and yes they seem to connect to PCOS,, it does depend on the form of IBS I have Contsipation form, and givne colafac when needed which is not often now,, but I have had PCOS for the past 9 years,, at present I am no meds as the dr took me of them, due to a change in diet and fitness regime I had a good blood test so they took me off them,, however after a year of not being on the Glucophage SR my PCOS symptoms are comming back,,
debware87

Postby babycakes » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi wishing,just been reading your post about metabolic rate and not digesting food properly,sounds daft but just been thinking if thats why my ibs symptoms stopped and i started to lose weight when i went on reductil as it slowed my system down so i could digest food properly.It was the only time i really felt well,no pains every day,even period pains stopped,no running to the loo :oops:l.I must look it up on the net.
Im married,42
Diagnosed PCOS 21,2nd hubby low count.
M/C at 12 weeks,1990 via Clomid.Now on provera.
Im fed up with PCOS SYMPTOMS!!
babycakes

Return to Other problems