Ovarian cyst treatment

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Ovarian cyst treatment

Postby Karini » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:23 pm

Hiya

I recently found out that I have a 9cm cyst on my left ovary ... along with having a pcos right ovary (I have known I have pcos for a while). I have met with the consultant and she says the best option is to have the cyst removed ... via a laproscopy (have probably spelt that wrong) ... am so worried. She suggested drilling the polycysts on the right ovary and burning (!) the 9cm cyst on the left ovary. Does this sound standard treatment? (I was so shocked when I heard he say surgery I don't remember the full details) She booked me in for surgery for march ... but having looked up her credentials she doesn't seem to be that qualified / experienced. Am considering asking for a second opinion ... does anyone know of any good consultants in London.

I guess I am worried that in removing the cyst my fertility may be affected.

I would really welcome some advise. Bit scary (ok ok very scary!)

Karini
Karini

Postby Hols969 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:50 pm

No that sounds pretty normal to me actually. Laser is used to improve fertility generally and laparoscopy can be used to check your tubes and other possible fertilty issues.

You will need a week or so off afterwards as they tend to go in by your belly button so sitting can be a little uncomfortable.

Its quite a standard procedure really so dont worry. I had it done about 4 years ago (not the big cyst) but had the other little ones lasered and they checked my tubes etc and it was absolutely fine.

Removing the cysts will IMPROVE your fertility so dont worry about that side of it.
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby HelenYorkshire » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:23 pm

Laparoscopy - keyhole surgery so tiny little scars. 'Scuse spelling!
It's best to remove the big cysts because they can twist around themselves and get VERY painful or even burst.
You will need some time off work - because they're "messing around" with your insides it is sore afterwards (I've had it done you see) because your brain doesn't "understand" what's happened, so it interprets the nerve signals a bit wierd. I.e. it was my shoulders that felt sore?!!

Anyway I'm babbling on.

The "burning" I think is ovarian "drilling" - try looking on the TTC board for more info, as it's quite common for fertility I think.

HTH.
Medication experiment(s) - 25/7/08- stopping Dianette, Met. 1500mg/day,+ Wellwoman vits.
AF 14/9/08!
21/2/09 - stopped metformin. 24/2/09 - started reductil.
Summer 09 - scrap the drugs, go for vit D 5000IU + Omega 3 1000mg + "primal" diet... 3 x AF and counting :)
HelenYorkshire

Postby Karini » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:47 pm

Thanks for the info ladies. It's nice knowing Im not alone.

Im not entirely sure what the consultant meant about the burning ... she mentioned drilling the cysts on the right ovary .... am a bit wary of this ... but I totally understand the need for removing the 9cm cyst on the left ovary. Am going to try and change my diet a bit before the op to see if that helps any.

... I know that ovarian drilling can be good if you are trying to concieve ... but as Im not even trying for a baby at the mo (not even got a bf!) although I would love one when I get a chance! lol

Re time off work ... that's a bit of a nightmare as Im starting a new job on monday. Never rains but it pours! lol

I heard that when you have a laparoscopy you can get shoulder pain and that you have to wear lovely surgical stockings during the op to avoid dvt!
- I am wondering whether a laparoscopy / keyhole surgery is suitable for removing a big 9cm cyst. Also how do they normally remove the cyst?

At the mo I am not having huge issues with pain ... I've just got a dull ache really.

Thanks again
K
Karini

Postby Hols969 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:59 am

Its the gas that can make other areas uncomfortable as it needs to escape (as they add gas to check things out). Burning is usually the ovarian drilling. I believe a larger cyst is often drained first so would be fine to do via a laparoscopy.

Drilling is also good to get periods back in sync too so isnt just used for fertility.

Honestly dont worry at all. Some ladies only needed a few days off so depends on what your job is. I would get it done sooner rather than later as you have a big cyst.
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Karini » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:48 am

Thanks again. I think I am having the op at the begining of march ... still terrified. Have had a pre op assessment with the nurses but not really had the opportunity to ask the consultant all the qs I have weighing on my mind. I thought that she'd be there for the assessment but no ... so the next time I see her will be before the op which isn't really ideal.

Am still worried she may not have all that much experience. I think I'm going to make sure I get another appointment with her in the next week or so to ask some final qs and put my mind at rest.
--> Any q's you'd ask?

Am still considering whether I should do the ovarian drilling on the smaller cysts.

Post op Im going to join a gym and get fit ... o and contribute towards world peace!! ;-)

O, a really dumb question here ... when you have your op ... do you have to shave / wax / whatever the relevant area? They never tell you these things! lol (e.g. how shocked was I at the pre assessment tests ... stickin a swab up your nose!! I was SO not expecting that! lol)

Enough rambling from me anyways.
Karini

Postby Karini » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:21 pm

had the keyhole surgery wed to remove 1 10cm cyst and 1 1cm one. All went well and went home same day to recover. wed i had some bleeding from below, none on thurs but some on fri, sat and sun. not sure if it is my period as last one of those i had was in oct 08. Its red blood and theres no clots ... is this ok?
Karini

Postby Hols969 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:33 pm

Its quite common to bleed afterwards as its been fiddled with. Glad you feel ok tho, it took me about 6 weeks till I had a proper period following it. Did the do OD on your other cysts or was that all you had?
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Karini » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:47 pm

Thanks for that holly ... have been scared that it was post surgical bleeding. Im a total worrier ... Not helped by the fact I googled every possible side effect!

Didn't have the od on the other ovary (have decided to get referred to a dietician to manage the pcos that way) ... turned out the cyst was next to the ovary (the 10cm one) so thank god or whatever nothing had to be removed. Had just the removal of the cyst and perineal washing (which was ... erm ... interesting to say the least! lol.) ... washing of the area with saline (i think) ... and a side effect of this was saline seeping out of the keyhole incisions on the way home. Felt a bit ill informed about that. Ah well, it's all part of lifes rich tapestry! ;-)

I meant to ask, how soon after surgery can you go to the gym? (got a bit of weight to lose but have evaded the gym so far!) When did you feel you'd recovered from the cystectomy?
Karini

Re: Ovarian cyst treatment

Postby barnsleywiccan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:36 am

Karini wrote:Hiya

I recently found out that I have a 9cm cyst on my left ovary ... along with having a pcos right ovary (I have known I have pcos for a while). I have met with the consultant and she says the best option is to have the cyst removed ... via a laproscopy (have probably spelt that wrong) ... am so worried. She suggested drilling the polycysts on the right ovary and burning (!) the 9cm cyst on the left ovary. Does this sound standard treatment? (I was so shocked when I heard he say surgery I don't remember the full details) She booked me in for surgery for march ... but having looked up her credentials she doesn't seem to be that qualified / experienced. Am considering asking for a second opinion ... does anyone know of any good consultants in London.

I guess I am worried that in removing the cyst my fertility may be affected.

I would really welcome some advise. Bit scary (ok ok very scary!)

Karini

Hi Karini, your story made me feel a bit better. My periods stopped about 6 yrs ago. After various trips to the docs and an ultra sound scan, I was told I had a large cyst on my right ovary. I had keyhole to remove it then about a month after recovering my periods went back to normal - infact they were better than normal. They were regular like clockwork and much lighter than before. I was ok for 5 years until the same problem happened. This time they looked at my other symptoms and diagnosed PCOS via blood test and an other ultrasound. This time they said left ovary covered in small cysts and the original cyst appears to have "come back" on my right side. Last time it was 6 cm, this time it is only 4. I keep having scans every 3 months to keep an eye on it at the moment. I have been given the pill and metformin but stopped taking both after just 3 days as they made me vomit (once). When I go back to gyno in November, am gonna ask them to remove this one to see if it helps. I would get a second opinion tho if you are not happy
barnsleywiccan

Return to Other problems