Fainting and dizziness before period

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Fainting and dizziness before period

Postby Emily » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:34 pm

I am fairly new on here and I am trying to find out if others are experiencing things that could be related to pcos but have not ever been confirmed. I go very dizzy and sometimes faint before a period! Can get embaressing when I am in a supermarket alone. Trouble is I only get about 1-3 periods a year and never know when one may strike........wondered if anyone else gets this. I bacome very forgetful around this time too. All I want to do right now is hibernate and I get through this by drinking lots of wine :lol:

So....how about you, have you experienced this? A simple yes or know would be grand!

Thanks, Emily XXX
Emily

Postby Chelle W » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:38 am

Hi Emily,

I've had "problems" with dizziness and fainting since I was 9 yrs old (am now 27), although it is not linked with my period. I usually faint when I am very hot - some examples are.. at the hairdressers whilst having my hair blow dried, getting a hot chip stuck in my throat and whilst been crammed into a packed train in the middle of summer.

I have had numerous tests at the neurological hospital in London. The only thing they could tell me was that I had very low blood pressure, so when it drops I faint and sometimes have fits. If I had "normal" blood pressure this drop would not even register.

They told me they couldn't do anything for me as "medical science had not reached that extent yet" (helpful aren't they :D ) and that I was just to get more exercise and introduce more salt into my diet.

One Dr told me that when people who are prone to faint start to feel dizzy they tend to panic, which can in fact bring on the fainting. He recommended clenching my toes 20 times to take my mind off it - which does sometimes work.

Hope this helps.

Chelle
Chelle W

Postby shanti » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:44 pm

Hi Emily,

I have similar problems with dizziness and feeling faint (never actually fainted, yet) before my period. For me, it seems to relate to my blood sugar which becomes harder to control just before my period. So when I feel this way I know the best thing for me to do is to eat something as soon as possible. I usually try to carry stuff with me. If you're going to try this stay away from quick fixes like chocolate bars though because they'll just make you spike and then crash again. I usually find fruit and/or nuts and seeds help me along.

Shanti
shanti

Postby sunny » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:26 pm

Hi Emily,

I used to have a similar problem to you on the first day or two of my period. The first time I had it, before I realised it would come every period, I thought I was REALLY ill (like I needed to go to hospital)! I used to have bad period pains, go white as a sheet (sometimes I really scared people!), and really clammy, and my legs went all fidgety - it sounds silly, but they felt so uncomfortable, and I kept bending them, then straightening them, then bending them etc. etc. - they felt really horrid! And I used to feel really sick - once I puked up my cornflakes in a shopping centre - nice!!!

I never actually fainted, but I would imagine I would have fainted if I was a "fainting-type person".

Like Shanti said, I think this was related to my blood sugar levels, so I tried to have chocolate (any excuse!) - not sure it helped though - as Shanti said, something more sensible would probably have worked better.

I had this from when I started my periods (13), till I was 18 - when I went on the pill (dianette). It stopped completely then! I came off dianette for about a year (in 2002, when I was 22), and it didn't come back. I don't know if it was an age thing or what. All I know is that the pill got rid of it completely!

I hope you find some way to sort out your problem soon! x
sunny

Postby miss sunshine » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:57 pm

Hi newbie here.
I get this often whether I have a period or not. I think it's worse pre-mentsrual time. :evil: I have M.E. also so sometimes I'm unable to tell what symtom is from what. :x I've had M.E. for over 12 yrs (wasn't diagnosed til over 2 yrs later-May 1996) and was DX with PCO/S May 2000. So you can see my confusion. :? Could easily of been a 'teenage' thing. I only turned 24 two days ago (so glad it wasn't :D ) so I'm glad I was diagnosed back then even if I wasn't given much help/advice. Just wandering if you actually have anything else you don't mind sharing? It may also be medication.
miss sunshine

Postby LadyJane » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:42 pm

I started taking Metformin 4 weeks ago and started my period yesterday. I came over dizzy and had the shakes and upset tummy being sick etc and have just posted to see if there might be a link between these symptons and taking Metformin.
LadyJane

Dizziness/lightheadedness

Postby SaraC » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:42 pm

Hi All

I have been suffering from this for about 4 years, I am currently off work due to this and wonder whether there is a link between these episodes and my hormones. I cant really explain how it is apart from a woozy feeling in my head constantly and an overwhelming need to close my eyes (but not sleep), although I do sleep more when I am like this. I feel unco-ordinated and my legs feel unstable. Yesterday I bumped my car into my partners!!!! Whoops as I could not judge the distance on the drive!!! The doctors ruled out inner ear probs a couple of years back and this seems to come in episodes and lasts for a few weeks.

Does not seem to relate to periods however I have been having pain in my left ovary for about 5 days now. Any ides how to control it as the message left from my boss today said "hope you are back in tomorrow!!!"

SaraC

fainting just before period

Postby Poppetstar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Hi Emily!

Did you ever get to the bottom of your fainting problem?

I have PCOS and have had AF twice in 4 years. Both times AF has come to visit I have either passed out or almost passed out. The two must be related...?

I've been on Metformin and it made absolutely no difference.
The only thing which seems to be working is my new low carb diet - I've been on it for 3 weeks (last period was 2 years ago) and I had a bleed this morning... seems to have stopped now tho?? Don't know if it's AF or not?
Poppetstar

Postby katie_b » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:41 am

Interesting...!

I've experienced dizzy spells and nausea the last two nights, but I am at the end of a period (1st proper period in about 6 months).

Last night's was deffo worse than the previous - was washing my hair in the shower and all of a sudden became VERY light-headed and felt so, so sick - think I probably would have thrown up if I hadn't forced myself not to. Became very hot and my ears felt blocked. Had to open the shower door and sit down in the cubicle as I really thought I might faint.

Once the dizziness calmed slightly, I got out of the shower and had a lie down for 10 minutes - then felt fine....

Wondering if I should see my doctor, or if it is just another PCOS anomaly...

Am on Met 500g (1 twice a day), and contraceptive pill - no other meds.

Anybody else experienced anything like this?
Katie B
katie_b

PCOS and BLACKOUTS

Postby josiejones28 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:30 pm

Hi friends x
I was told in 2006 that i had suffered PCOS since 1997, but didnt even know! My gynaecologist told me it was most severe case she had seen in her 30yrs!
I have also been suffering from blackouts since around 1996 - 97 too, and have had scans and tests which were all normal! I actually have had 4 blackouts this year, and 14 last yr.
Does anyone else get this?
I have found out recently that having lost a stone and a half, the cysts on my ovaries have almost GONE, and also came on today after nothing since september! :D
josiejones28

Postby Hols969 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:21 am

The cysts can come and go anyway as they are only a symptom and not the cause. Have you been tested for insulin resistence?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Other problems