constant illness

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

constant illness

Postby katy81 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:36 am

Hi,

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 15 months ago and since then I am always getting ill, not just regular sniffles, usually always viruses and it seems to be I'm well for a week or two and then ill again. It always seems to floor me and I have to take time off work.

I'm so worried about getting into trouble as work have a really strict policy about illness. I'm at a loss at what I can do to stay healthy.

I cant take any hormone treatments as they give me depression or make me even more ill, I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me any hints on how to keep well! Also does anyone else feel the same? I'ts bad enough I feel fat hairy and not much like a woman anymore but at 27 I really shouldnt feel ill all of the time.

Am I wrong??
katy81

Postby katy81 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:12 pm

at the doctors at 4pm, I always get really nervous, they kind of look at you like there is nothing wrong because I'm not outwardly disfigured.

I'm going to ask for some blood tests, but other than that I dont know what to ask for, I'm a bit emotional most of the time and seem to cry a lot, so will probably come out of there looking puffy and red faced

I dont know if anyone is reading this post but it seems good just being able to write things down. OH and family dont know what to say.
katy81

Postby DawnyB » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:23 pm

Good luck at your docs.

Have you considered taking a "tonic" to help you over your illnesses? It may just be that you are really run down and you're never getting strong enough to fight off infections. Have an ask at your local chemist and see what they recommend. There are loads of things now that can help you build yourself up again after illness - and especially a run of illnesses which leave you depleted and tired. Also, I'd consider a good vitamin and mineral supplement just to make sure that you are giving your body the best chance of fighting off whatever comes your way.
MrsB was time for a name change :)

Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity

ImageImage

Ranty mum diary - my blog
DawnyB
Verity Admin

Postby katy81 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:31 pm

Thanks,

I already take a vitamin supplement, doctor gave me some leaflets on stress, I had a blood test to see if my iron is low. ( I could guess it is as I have been bleeding for for about 10 of the last 12 weeks)

Feel like giving up on it all
katy81

Postby FIREFIGHTER » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:44 pm

i think u are right about the constant being ill my bones are really aching but if i say any thing to any1 they will say i am a hypocondrat so its like sufffering in silence :?
FIREFIGHTER

Postby katy81 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:37 am

Hi Firefighter,

I understand you, you wait for this roll of the eyes and look of ' oh she is sick again'

I'm also sick of being told oh i know ppl with that and they have kids. Yeah good for them and how hard it was to get there but there is a big day to day struggle too! At 27 I should be thinking about brazilian or holywood waxing not getting my lip and chin done!

Oooh rant over i think!!
Have you said anything to your doctors? mine have been partly helpful. One sends me for blood tests and says everything is back normal, low iron and another told me to cut out lunch to lose weight.

Ah well, message me if you want to chat

Katy
katy81

Postby PinkPrincess8 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:30 pm

Im glad you broght this up as I am always feeling ill. I cannot remember the last time I had a day where I can honestly say I felt 100%. Im always achey, tired, feeling sick, and like you I pick up viruses all the time. Its such a pain because my work are really strict on attendance too and I have already exceeded the sick allowance (10 days) when I had flu and a stomach bug so now I dont get paid if I am ill. It does annoy me that because people dont go through it themselves they just assume you should 'eat more fruit' or 'do more excercise'. And when people think a bottle of vitamins will solve everything. It doesnt work like that. I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that this is how my life will be, regularly getting ill and tired.
PinkPrincess8

Postby katy81 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:07 pm

Hi pink princess,

Hope your feeling ok today. Doing a bit of exercise is helping me. an hour at the gym doing cycling and walking. i'm getting better sleep, and its helping lose the weight. I'm still tired but dont overdo it. I also feel a lot better after ive been, they say it gives you an endorphin rush.

I kinda hit the bottom and could feel depression coming back so had to decide that whatever happens i can deal with it. If work are *&£*%&££(%& (list of unrepeatable expletives!) which they usually are (mine are sending me to a corporate doctor) f**k em, its just a job at the end of the day and there are more about.

I understand you totally though. Here if you wanna chat
katy81

Postby meme » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi,

Can understand exactly where you are coming from - i have the aches and tiredness all the time also. I seem to always have a stomach ache and it is really starting to get me down.
Like you both my work are also not the best at understanding what i am going through, making me feel guilty for being ill - like i should stop it - if only!! It just seems to make me feel really low as sometimes i think i become worse the more i feel sorry for myself. Sorry to rant on, its just good to know im not the only one as my partner seems to think im some kind of hypocondriac!! :(
meme

Postby FIREFIGHTER » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:05 pm

i always seems to get a cold and my hands and feet are always cold and i wake up with the sniffles y me, y :(
FIREFIGHTER

Postby tinker1 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:32 pm

HEY PEOPLE

THANK GOD (NOT IN A BAD WAY SORRY THAT YOUR NOT WELL)BUT AM NOT THE ONLY ONE AM ALWAYS NOT WELL PEOPLE THINK AM FAKING IT BEING SPOILED AND LAZY BUT I NEVER FEEL WELL FOR AN ENTIRE WEEK AND I EAT WELL AND EXERCISE BUT STILL GET ILL :(

YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONE GOOD LUCK SORRY CANT HELP I NEED HELP MYSELF!!!
tinker1

Postby fairytale » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:16 pm

Sometimes, I wonder if other people who feel tired and cold and aching and perhaps a bit depressed also have hypothyroidism. This list of symptoms is from the British Thyroid Foudation website www.btf-thyroid.org

You can ask your GP for a simple blood test if you think you might be hypothyroid based on this list of symptoms:

Signs and Symptoms of Hypothyroidism, also known as Underactive Thyroid or Myxoedema:-

General tiredness
Excessive need of sleep
Increased awareness of the cold
Constipation
Muscle weakness, cramps and aches; difficulty climbing stairs
Sore muscles
Pins and needles in the fingers and hands
The skin may become dry and thick and feels cold
The hair may begin to thin out become dry and coarse
Unusual loss of body hair – eyebrows may become sparse, and hair on forearms short and stubbly
Flaking, splitting nails
The voice may become hoarse or croaky
In women of reproductive years the periods may become heavier and longer, but sometimes can prematurely stop
Fertility problems – failure to conceive, miscarriage.
Unexplained weight gain
Puffy face and bags under the eyes, change in facial appearance
Slow speech, movements and thoughts
Low mood, depression
Memory problems and lack of concentration
Slow heart beat and slightly raised blood pressure
Increased cholesterol
Anaemia
Hearing problems
Loss of libido / impotency
PCOS and hypothyroid diagnosed Sept 2006
On Metformin 1500mg and levothyroxine 125mcg
fairytale

Hyperplasia!

Postby piptom2121 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:02 pm

Hi
I know the feeling I started a new job in June after an op hysteroscopy, D&C and edomentrial biospy! they put me on 15mg of Provera and i bled through. I had to have another op just 9 weeks into my contract. I'm still in my probationary so scared stiff!

Hubby says we'll be fine but scares me.... I too have felt bones aching etc.
Had thyroid test appear fine.

Pip
x
TTC since 2006
05/09 -
10mg Letrozole - OV - BFN
06/09
10mg Letrozole - Good size follicle
piptom2121

Postby FIREFIGHTER » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:02 pm

i had the thyroid test and they said its low but there's no danger of me being hypothyrode then did it again and still saying its low 1st time it was like 2years ago i think and then the 2nd this year saying its low but no problem of me being hypothyroid SO WHAT IS GOING ON :? but i always have the cold feet even with socks on and i sweat badly even if i am cold or hot and the aneamia bleeding heavy in periods with long wks. need excessive sleep but struggle to wake up in mornings pins &needles in hands & feet. yep consipation but when i always tell that but still my blood test comes back low but no danger of being hypo i have put on weight but i think thats the pcos i do have dry skin but thats my excema and i do have poor memory and concentration. i have most of it but i'm not hypothyroid.

I DON'T KNOW maybe i just want to know y i have the pins and needles and sore muscles, aches and pains.
it does make u :x wen u don't have much energy for things :cry:
FIREFIGHTER

Postby fairytale » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:39 pm

FIREFIGHTER

Have you been referred to an endocrynologist? My GP said I wasn't low enough to be hypothyroid, and 12 months later the Endoc' said they would trial me on 25mcg (lowest dose) of levothyroxine. I DANCED AROUND THE GRDEN after taking it, it made me feel so much better, and although the euphoria wore off PDQ, I really would PUSH to see an Endoc' because if you are borderline, they would be more willing to give you a trial of 25mcg.

Your GP will be less willing because having too much thyroxine is dangerous (heart beats really fast), but Consultants are willing to take more risks.

I suffered for 12 months longer than I should, and have had a depressive crisis during that time as a result of hypothyroid - please push for a referral if you're serious about the symptoms you listed.
x x x
PCOS and hypothyroid diagnosed Sept 2006
On Metformin 1500mg and levothyroxine 125mcg
fairytale

Next

Return to Other problems