Severe pain through lower abdomen area to back

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Severe pain through lower abdomen area to back

Postby ellenholmes » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:47 pm

not really sure where to put this.

the last couple of days i have this horrible pain which feels like it is stabbing me. it goes through the ovaries area through to my back, and every-time i sit down or go to the loo it's even worse, good knows what is going on but going to try and get through until wednesday as i have got a appointment with the doctor anyway. so if it still there well tell him about it. (thought it might be period pains but i have never had it like this before.) anyone got any ideas to what it might be.
First fertility appointment 15th November 2013
Levothyroxine 50mg 1 a day 10/09/2013
Diagnosed with under active thyroid 10/09/2013
Folic acid 400mg a day 16/07/2013
Bloods and swabs done 17/07/2013
ttc since 2007

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
ellenholmes

Postby debbie8107 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:53 pm

Are you O'ing? I get a pain which sounds like what you're describing around that time which can be worse than when I am on my period. It sometimes feels really crippling especially when I go to the loo. Have you tried heat? I find that sometimes helps a lot and tend to prefer that to pain killers.
Always remember that you're not alone and unless you have a rare condition, there's many people like you and in the same boat! We're all here for each other

FB; http://www.facebook.com/debbie.m.ferrer (state verity)
debbie8107

Me too!

Postby Jen1985 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:18 pm

Hey! I was diagnosed when I was 18... I am now 22 - 23 on the 9th June.

Im going for my second scan since I was diagnosed sometime soon, currently awaiting my letter from the Hospital.

Im going for this scan as I have been suffering from the same pain you have, but I get it on and off all throughout the day... Worse if I sit down for a while, like if at the cinema.

Its like a STABBING pain which is around my ovary area and in my lower back... I was very worried so hence I booked another scan...

Wen u go to the docs ask her if she can send you for a scan, to put your mind at rest if nothing else... She cant say no if you tell her that you are worried!

I also get quite bad headaches and feel dizzy alot, and also feel quite faint and dizzy sometimes, like Ive got no strength, especially at the weekends... Do you suffer from anything like this aswell??

Nice to chat with you... Im glad in a way to have found someone that has written a post about exactly what I am feeling - someone with similar feelings to chat with. Thank You x
Jen1985

Postby tabatha » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:44 am

Hi,

Ellen, did you get an answer from your doc as to what was causing the pain? I have just been to see my GP regarding similar pain and am awaiting a scan. Would be interested to know how you got on.

Sorry if you've posted about this elsewhere, I'm finding my way around at the moment! :)
tabatha

Postby madmalteaser » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:41 pm

I've developed similar pains over the last 9 months or so which seems to be getting progressively worse each month. I spoke to my consultant about it last time I saw him and he advised me to up my intake of Cyproterone Acetate from 10 days per cycle to 14 days. Initially this seemed to work but now the pain has come back more than ever although it has helped with how heavy my periods are but not much.

The only way I can describe the pain is to say it's like my whole uterus becomes incredibly tender so movement, going to the loo, coughing, sneezing and just about everything else makes it worse. It hits me usually in the 2 or 3 day of my period and doesn't let up until it's done. Since my consultant has said he doesn't need to see me anymore unless I want to think about having kids I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do.

Has anyone tried the new Feminax Ultra for this? I've heard it's quite good but I'm worried it might set off my IBS symptoms. I've used various painkillers including mephanamic acid which has absolutely no effect whatsoever. I'm tempted to go back to my GP but wonder what on earth he can even do for this!
madmalteaser

Postby beaglelady » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:12 pm

This sounds like how I was before I was diagnosed with endometriosis! I had excruitating pains and pains when using the loo I was doubled over at times. Demand to see a gynae who speclialises in endometriosis and ask them to do a laparoscopy.

Good luck
beaglelady

Postby tabatha » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:07 pm

My GP has decided my pains sound like irritable bowel syndrome :roll:

Madmalteaser, I really hope your GP can help you as you really shouldn't have to suffer like this.

x
tabatha

Postby madmalteaser » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:13 pm

beaglelady wrote:This sounds like how I was before I was diagnosed with endometriosis! I had excruitating pains and pains when using the loo I was doubled over at times. Demand to see a gynae who speclialises in endometriosis and ask them to do a laparoscopy.

Good luck

beaglelady - I had never even considered this before but now I've done some reading up on it it seems I have a hell of a lot of the symptoms! Time for me to book another doctors appointment, I think!
madmalteaser

Postby madmalteaser » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:14 pm

tabatha wrote:My GP has decided my pains sound like irritable bowel syndrome :roll:

Madmalteaser, I really hope your GP can help you as you really shouldn't have to suffer like this.

x

tabatha, that's what my GP decided too although the pain still persists around the time of my period regardless of how well I eat or not!

I've decided to book another appointment and see about a referral.
madmalteaser

Postby FIREFIGHTER » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:49 pm

keep pushing this is your health and ur entitled in asecond opinion u know this is to all of us.

if we feel there is something wrong and u know go to your gp straight away don't leave it 2 late.
FIREFIGHTER

Postby Miffy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:45 am

When I was about 17 I started getting really severe abdominal pain on my right hand side on and off throughout the month around my ovary area - not quite the same as you've been getting I don't think but similar idea. Anyway, initially the doctors decided it was a rumbling appendix and after 2 years they finally took my appendix out and discovered a cyst on the outside of my ovary that they decided may have been causing the problem seeing as how my appendix was fine.

3 months later the pain came back. From that point on the doctors decided that it must be irritable bowel syndrome and put me through some horrendous tests just to confirm what I had told them all along that it definitely wasn't IBS and to me seemed to be hormone related. The hospital wouldn't listen to anything I said about hormone problems and in the end they decided that they were going to put a steroid injection through my appendix scar because they thought I was getting phantom pain with my brain thinking my appendix was still there - I refused to let them.

The only thing that seemed to clear the problem was when I abandoned conventional medicine and went to a homeopath but then the pain seemed to move to my back instead and I've had problems with that.

When I was 30 I changed doctors when I moved and finally got one that listened to me and various symptoms I had and sent me for an ultra sound scan where I was diagnosed with PCOS - yes it really did take them 13 years to get there! I started to get the abdominal pain again and my stomach is massively over sensitive and again the doctors told me it must be IBS.

Now at 36 I've finally got a referral to a decent endocrinologist who has re-done all the test and confirmed that although I do have some symptoms of PCOS there are a lot of big ones missing (which I said all along) and that on a clinical diagnosis I don't have PCOS after all and they are still trying to work out what is causing all the problems - although they have picked up that I am insulin resistant which seems to be what causes me a lot of the stomach problems. Whenever my sugars are low I get butterflies in my stomach and I can be ultra sensitive to what I eat at times.

Anyway - to cut a too long story short I would say do not accept the IBS diagnosis if your instinct is that they are wrong. I have no idea about anyone else but 19 years of experience tells me that IBS is diagnosed when there is any kind of abdominal pain where the cause isn't obvious and they don't really want to look into what else it could be!

Good luck - I hope you get some answers soon
Miffy

Postby Your_Illusion » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:44 pm

It could be
proctalgia fugax

Proctalgia fugax is a severe, cramp-like pain, deep in the anal canal. It usually lasts for less than a minute, but can sometimes last for up to half an hour. Most sufferers have only 5 or 6 attacks a year. You may feel a need to defecate urgently, but nothing happens. It may even make you feel dizzy, or give you a headache. It occurs in both men and women. It is a mysterious condition; no one knows what causes it, but it is probably a spasm of the rectal or pelvic floor muscles and does not mean that you have anything seriously wrong. There are various methods of relieving the pain.

Try putting pressure on the perineum (the area between the back passage and the vagina or base of the penis) by sitting on the edge of your bath or on a tennis ball.
Sit in hot water or, alternatively, apply some ice.
Two paracetamol tablets and a hot drink may give some relief.
The problem with medications for proctalgia fugax is that the episode is likely to be over before the drugs become active. They might be worth trying if your attacks last a long time. Possible treatments are glyceryl trinitrate spray or under-the-tongue tablets (as used for angina), glyceryl trinitrate cream applied to the anal area, or the asthma drug salbutamol (inhaled from a puffer at the start of the attack). These treatments are only available on prescription, for which you would need to see your doctor.
Your_Illusion

Postby Jiellen_27 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:52 am

However, the pain may start from somewhere else -- like your chest or pelvic area. You may also have a generalized infection, such as the flu or strep throat, that affects many parts of your body.The intensity of the pain does not always reflect the seriousness of the condition causing the pain. Severe abdominal pain can be from mild conditions, such as gas or the cramping of viral gastroenteritisviral gastroenteritis. On the other hand, relatively mild pain or no pain may be present with life-threatening conditions, such as cancer of the colon or early appendicitisappendicitis.
Jiellen_27

Return to Other problems