worried about BP

Other long term effects of PCOS

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

worried about BP

Postby broody78 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:24 am

hi guys!
Went to surgery yesterday for my flu jab and the nurse took my blood pressure and OMG 142/106 .... they checked it twice and for my age (29) is very high.They told me i must go back in 2 wks to be checked again.Im really frightened by this as there is no family background of high blood pressure.Im going to get a home BP monitor on weekend and keep track on it as every time i go into the docs surgery my pulse races i dont know why im like this but ive always been the same i get so nervous! also i am 6 stone over weight which i carry all round middle so i know i need to do something about this. Anyway.. has anyone else got high blood pressure and if so how do you lower yours????
thanks for your help xx
broody78

Postby Hutchisong » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:16 pm

I had that but it was associated with a certian doctor!!! ... not in the way your thinking!!

The doc that carried out my smear was the one i normally see. Bp was always high as I had a bad experience with a smear test with him (all i'll say is it hurt).

I finally got it lowered by making sure i got a first thing in the morning appointment so I did not get myself worked up. Never arrived early. always bang on time. Listened to ipod - relaxing music whist waiting. Also gave myself a treat if it was lowered.

Worked a treat..... was back to normal after 6 appointments.

If it is a problem with your bp though - it is best to get it checked out!!
TTC Since Feb 2006
M/C 8th march 08, m/c 20th Sept 08
6th round Clomid Jan 09 - BFP!!! - EDD 09/10/09
Andrew born 10/10/09 - 7lb 3oz
TTC no 2: BFP!!! - edd 20/06/11
Helen born 17/06/11 - 7lb 10oz
TTC no 3: BFP on 30/08/12
Hutchisong

Postby broody78 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:54 am

thanks for the tips!! im going to buy a home BP monitor tomorrow from argos ..only £30 and worth it i think.i will monitor it myself at home where im more relaxed and see if its any different.I do have to go back to nurse in 2 weeks but im gonna jot down my home results and take them with me when i go.. Its so silly why ever time i enter the surgery i get so worked up!! mind you ive always been the same!
thanks again
broody78

High blood pressure

Postby strugglingmum1 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:24 am

Hi - it's not so silly to get worked up at the surgery - its a common thing and known as the "white coat syndrome" - this is why a number of surgeries prefer their patients to take their blood pressure at home - so you aren't being silly. Just a simple tip - if you buy your own machine try taking your blood pressure then immediately take it again but think of something very calm and soothing, then the next time think of something that makes you angry ... you'll see what thoughts can do to the blood pressure ...
the bottom line is if there is a problem it needs to be sorted and they will now take you seriously instead of just saying "go away and lose weight"
strugglingmum1

Postby broody78 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:28 pm

thanks for that,i thought it was just me that gets this im glad im not alone and that it has a name- white coat syndrome.
i will take it a few times first coz i know the first time i use it i will more than likely be anxious! cheers
broody78

bp

Postby brandy queen » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:48 pm

hi its not just you with the white coat syndrome my partner who is blind went for hospital assesment as he got to have op on eye whilst he was there they did bp and it was up they did it again before he saw consultant and was up he saw consultant and she said he could have op they did it again and was still up so consultant said take letter to gp and they monitor it his own gp did it and it was not as high he gave him some bp pills since then he changed gp he has come to my practise he had it done for a medical and it was sown my gp did it two week later and he forgot to take pills and was up he went yesterday and its back to normal so gp gonna write to hospital to confirm that he fit for op
brandy queen

Postby plumb » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:40 pm

You are not being silly at all! I have the same problem with my BP and doctors.

Make sure you arrive about 5 minutes early for your appointment, take deep breaths and play soothing music. Also keep as quiet as possible and do not talk to the nurse whilest she's checking it as this raises your BP!

I had a terribe time with a practice nurse at my old surgery. She was such a bitch to me about my weight that I could feel my blood boil even at the mere mention of her name!

High BP is also a symptom of PCOS. Just try and walk as much as poss, eat good food and stay calm ;0) You can just do your best like all of us.

XXXXXXXX
plumb

Postby broody78 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:41 pm

thankyou for your kind words ive been taking my BP at home using wrist monitor and its 138/85...........which is a big difference from when im at the surgery!!!! im going to start a walking schedule in new year with my dog to get us both fit and lose all my weight...which is a fair wack!!! but for my health i have to do it!! thanks again,takecare xxx
broody78

High BP

Postby Brownin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:59 pm

I myself have had high BP for years now and am only 30.
I am currently taking methyldopa for it as I am ttc and this is suitable.
I am currently losing weight and it was interesting to hear that it might have something to do with nervousness at the doctors....

Would love to be off this medication and metformin!
Conceived using Metformin - Dec 07
TTC number 2
Brownin

Return to Other problems