Type 1 diabetes and PCOS

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Type 1 diabetes and PCOS

Postby cinderella12 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:17 pm

Hi guys. Wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

I was diagnosed with PCOS last year and I am a type 1 diabetic, have been for 22 years now. I am 28 now.

I'm finding it hard to accept that the 2 conditions aren't related. I actually see the same doctor at my hospital for both my diabetic check ups and for advise on PCOS. Both conditions are insulin related yet no one seems to think the 2 are related.

I am now on metaformin to try to help with my none existent periods and help loose weight but I'm finding it hard to remember to take them (any ideas on that would be appreciated!) They make me feel quite dizzy, same feeling i have when my blood sugar is low so i end up worrying and some times eating to compensate which is not helping.

I was on the Depovera injection for contraception reasons for 4 year. 2 years ago i stopped talking the injection as i was finding it hard to loose weight. I was told it could talk 6 months for my periods to return. A year later i was diagnosed with PCOS. I have had 2 periods since however these were very light and i don't think i ovulated though not sure how to tell.

Did being on the Depovera for so long contribute to this? Has anyone else waited so long once coming off it?

Whilst I'm not ttc I'm worried i wont be able to in the future. My doctor says 'we'll cross that bridge' when it comes to it but I'm worried it'll be too late then. I already know how strict you have to be as a type 1 diabetic during pregnancy and this is stressing me on top of that.

Any ideas would be appreciated
thanks
cinderella12

Postby LovinLife » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:18 pm

Hi Cinderella12-

I am in the same boat as you. I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes five years ago and PCOS one year ago. I've had the hardest time controlling both of them as they truly seem to offset each other. I have been a medical mystery to doctors.
I am currently on Metformin. I take it with breakfast and supper so I won't forget. Taking it with a meal helps with the side effects.
I am also on Provera, which is a synthetic progesterone. I was on a birth control pill, but that was making my symptoms worse. The Provera is to help induce a period and keep me on a regular cycle.
While these medications help, I've struggled a lot. It's not easy is it?
Anyway I hope that helps. I definitely feel your frustration!
LovinLife

Postby Debi » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:31 pm

Hi... I am new here.

I was diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes only 6 days ago and so am using novamix insulin injections... I'm 30 years old and i've suffered with polycystic ovarian syndrome since my early teens. I always considered that I might develop type 2 Diabetes one day, so I've been baffled as to why I have type 1 and I can't accept that there is no link between the two conditions.

I am taking loads of notes with me to see my endoctrinologist tomorrow and asking for a second opinion on the diabetes diagnosis because It just does'nt make sense... lol.
Debi

Postby LovinLife » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:47 pm

Hi Debi-
You will have to keep me updated on how the doctor appointment goes. I never thought that PCOS and Type 1 could occur together, until I was diagnosed. I hope you get answers to all of your questions! Good luck!
LovinLife

Postby amandaaz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:39 am

What are the biggest symptoms of diabetes? It runs in my family, and I've already inherited anemia from my grandma, and hypothyroidism, so I'm pretty much waiting on the diabetes. Symptoms I should watch out for?
amandaaz

Postby Annoldie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:11 am

Hi Amanda. Thirst, frequently passing urine - often in quite large amounts and tiredness are typical symptoms. Type 1 diabetes usually starts fairly quickly but type2 can take some time to develope. I have a family history of type 2 diabetes, but inspite of a family history, a weight problem and pcos I didn't get diabetes until I was 69. I always had a healthy diet and kept my sugar intake lowish, so just be sensible about your diet and try not to wory too much - get out there and enjoy your life! Ann
Annoldie

Postby LittleDot » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:42 pm

Hi

I've had type 1 diabetes for 25 years. Been TTC and was diagnosed with PCOS. Read somewhere cysts are linked to excess insulin so thought if i go hypo then there must be too much insulin in my body so cysts will develop. Don't know if it is as simple as that hormones are very complex things.

I'm well controlled with my diabetes, now have more regular periods (30-40 days), I keep a temperature chart which shows I also ovulate. I didn't before and cycles were all over the place but decided to try reflexology to regulate my cycle. It worked 1st go!! Still had no luck conceiving but happy I've regulated myself. Great for relaxing and relieving stress too.

Dot
me 30, DH 32
Dec83-Diabetes type 1
Sept05-started TTC
Apr07, July07, Aug07-Clomid 50mg, OVed-BFNs
Feb08-HSG
Aug08-Lap&Dye-All ok
Sept09-IVF#1 14 eggs none fertilised
LittleDot

Postby wendolyna » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:44 am

What are the consequences to people with diabetes who make poor food choices? I'm doing a research project on the food that people with diabetes can eat. The project is a grant proposal, and I need to find out what the consequences are for people with diabetes who make poor food choices are. Do they get sick, can they die, does their blood sugar spike up? Any help would be appreciated.

Postby LittleDot » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:35 pm

Hi Wendolyna,

I think I may be able to help. I've had type 1 diabetes since 1983 (age 3 years). The insulin regime I am now on is so flexible, as long as I count the carbohydrate amount in my meals and match the dose to suit the meal I can pretty much eat anything within reason.

Simple carbohydrates e.g. sugar, sugary drinks, sweets, white bread (high GI) have to be avoided where possible as these can cause spikes in blood sugar levels. Sometimes these foods are needed if blood sugar levels drop too low and need a quick boost to get levels up to normal range.

Complex carbohydrates e.g. brown/ granary bread, brown pasta, brown rice, are good for maintaining sugar levels and avoiding spikes.

When fluctuating levels occur symptoms tend to be: headache, irritability, shakes, dizziness, tiredness (can vary from person to person).

You will be able to find a lot of information on: http://www.diabetes.org.uk/ this site will give u more detail about complications that can occur from poor food choices.

Dot
me 30, DH 32
Dec83-Diabetes type 1
Sept05-started TTC
Apr07, July07, Aug07-Clomid 50mg, OVed-BFNs
Feb08-HSG
Aug08-Lap&Dye-All ok
Sept09-IVF#1 14 eggs none fertilised
LittleDot

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes