Metformin & weight loss????

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Postby adriennebennett » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:11 am

Hi Mandie, my consultant put me on metformin for my PCOS 6mths ago. I've lost 19lbs but I must admit that most of that has come off in the last 3mths so don't give up. I think it took a bit of time for it to kick in. Don't give up!
adriennebennett

Postby Charley » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:19 pm

Mandie wrote:the reason i asked what you ate is that my weight loss is really slow and i eat really well also and don't understand it...in a typical day i eat

30g bran flakes
milk

apple
3 crackerbreads (51 cals)
cucumber
tomatoes
celery

salmon
jacket potato
spinach, rocket & watercress salad
cucumber
celery
peppers
coleslaw

i think that's a well balanced diet that i'm eating so why aren't i losing the weight?

Hi Mandie, strange suggestion but you may need to eat more food in order to lose weight. If your body doesn't get all the stuff in needs it will store everything. I saw the dietician when first diagnosed and was told to eat the following each day:
8 portions of complex carbohydrate (1 portion = 1 weetabix, 1 slice of bread, 1 handful of rice/pasta/potato, 1 crackerbread)
2 portions of protein ie. meat, fish, tofu (1 portion = to the size of a deck of cards)
7-8 portions of fruit and veg (1 portion = apple, banana, serving spoon of veg) She also said not to have more than 3 peices of fruit a day as it can alter your blood sugar levels.
and diary products in moderation.

I try to keep to this plan but also sneek in the odd chocolate bar :lol: and i've lost 3 stone in 2 years on metformin with no exercise.
Charley

Metformin & weight loss????

Postby bexi89 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:16 am

Hi.

I've just upped to 3 x 500mg Metformin a day now...starting my 3rd week..And i've lost 9lbs... I haven't followed a strict dieting routine and dont really exercise apart from walking from one side of my town to the other every morning to get my car....

My dayly food intake usually is

Breakfast - 2 bits of brown bread with some marmite/yeast extract on
Orange juice

Lunch - Cheese Sandwitch, diet coke and small bag of kettle crisps.

Dinner - Pasta bows in cheese sauce with bacon.

If i crave some sugar then i go and have some. But only a small bar of dark choc... two squares is enough usually if you freeze it or chill it because the chocs so rich...

I can't eat alot of fruit because of the natural occuring sugars send my glucose level to about 17...As long as i keep my sugar level down but eat normally, the weight comes off...strange? :S

And dont think i'm a skinny rake...i started off at 306.6lbs
bexi89

Postby LATINA30 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:46 am

Hey all. how are you getting on now? I am on 1500mg of met a day, i have not noticed a significant weight loss but my body seems to be not storing as much fat around my waist and tummy area? must measure it and find out!
LATINA30

Previous

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes