Metformin & weight loss????

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Metformin & weight loss????

Postby Mandie » Thu May 03, 2007 1:05 am

Hi all,

Just want to hear your experiences of being on metformin and weight loss.

I've been on it now for about 4-5 weeks, started on 500mg
x1 per day for a week
x2 per day for the second week and
x3 per day from then onwards

I feel ok on it, although had nausea for the first 3 weeks. I don't have the sugar cravings i had before and don't feel the need to eat between meals.

we eat a healthy balanced diet and i go to the gym 2-3 times a week...BUT i've not lost any weight yet and i've stayed the same as the day i started on met.

So really i'd like to know when you found the weight loss to begin...was it instant or did it take longer to begin to lose the extra pounds

Has everyone lost weight on it?

Please tell me your stories...Both good and bad

Ideally i'd like to lose at least 2stone, but 3 stone would be a bonus!
thank you Mandie x
Mandie

Postby Evangelion » Sat May 12, 2007 5:16 pm

Hiya

I'm going through the coming off Dianette and increasing Metformin to 1500mg per day at the moment and unfortunately the weight is piling on, despite the healthy diet and regular exercise. I'm blaming that on the Dianette for now - and am really really hoping to see a change soon as it's getting quite depressing. I went from a size 18 to a 10 a few years ago (on Dianette) and while I was settled at a 12, the fact this is now increasing is probably more upsetting having lost some weight than if I hadn't lost it at all.

Really hope you (and I!) see some positive effects with Metformin soon :-)

A x
Evangelion

Postby Mandie » Sat May 12, 2007 9:03 pm

Really hope you and i see some results soon too!!!

It's such a nightmare and although i'm not putting on any weight i'm not losing it either and i'm eating much less

fingers crossed for us both
Mandie x
Mandie

Postby Evangelion » Sun May 13, 2007 8:56 am

I'm kind of hoping it will happen for me like it did last time, in the sense that nothing seemed to happen for ages and then a fair bit dropped off in a short space of time. That's really the only thing keeping me going at the moment x
Evangelion

Postby cherishu2 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:01 pm

i have been on the met for 2 months and i have lost 1 stone. I havent dieted yet though so it must be down to the met.
mum to 7. stu,phil,jarred,ashley,chloe,shayla and millie. Time to cross my legs lol
cherishu2

Postby Mandie » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:24 pm

cherishu2 wrote:i have been on the met for 2 months and i have lost 1 stone. I havent dieted yet though so it must be down to the met.

So you say you haven't dieted yet but can you tell me what a typical days food is for you

thanks Mandie
Mandie

Postby cherishu2 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:03 pm

well i dont eat much junk and never have so couldnt understand why im fat in the first place
yesterday
boil of frosties. two toast with marg
cheese and tomatoes sandwich
dish full of cheese nibbles (tut i was hungry)
faggots and chips
bowl frosties for supper, thats a must lol
i dont eat large portions so that may be helping.
its the carbs that affect us and i need to cut mine.
but i seem to addicted to frosties at the mo.
mum to 7. stu,phil,jarred,ashley,chloe,shayla and millie. Time to cross my legs lol
cherishu2

Postby cherishu2 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:03 pm

ooo i seem to eat quite a few bananas during the week and i like my sweets im afraid.
cherishu2

Postby Mandie » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:44 pm

the reason i asked what you ate is that my weight loss is really slow and i eat really well also and don't understand it...in a typical day i eat

30g bran flakes
milk

apple
3 crackerbreads (51 cals)
cucumber
tomatoes
celery

salmon
jacket potato
spinach, rocket & watercress salad
cucumber
celery
peppers
coleslaw

i think that's a well balanced diet that i'm eating so why aren't i losing the weight?
Mandie

Postby cherishu2 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:59 pm

how long have you actually been on the 3 a day though.i didnt lose until i was on the whole dosage.
some people do take 2000mg though maybe you shud have a word with the doc.
cherishu2

Postby cherishu2 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:02 pm

you dont eat much though. Maybe that might be the reason sometimes not eating slow the metabolism down too much.
Maybe upping your calories for a couple of weeks will get the metabolism going. Then knock it down again.
I have to up mine cus im not eatin g enuff.So weight loss will stop if i dont.
cherishu2

Postby Mandie » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:13 pm

I take 850mg 3x day

I was on 500 3xday but that made no difference either after 3months
so was put on 850mg been on that probably a month now and nothing

i've got about 2 stone to lose but it doesn't want to budge...it's really p***ing me off now
Mandie

Postby cherishu2 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:19 pm

Ypu say youver not lost any weight. Have you measured yourself too.To see if there is any inch loss.
cherishu2

Postby Mandie » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:37 pm

cherishu2 wrote:Ypu say youver not lost any weight. Have you measured yourself too.To see if there is any inch loss.

No...will have to try that and see
thank you x
Mandie

Postby cherishu2 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:35 pm

i go by inch loss its rare i weigh myself.
Made me wonder because if you go gym youll build muscle which weighs heavieer than fat. So you may have loss inches but not weight.And the inch loss is what matters as your toning up.
cherishu2

Next

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes