Would I be overweight if I was insulin resistant?

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Would I be overweight if I was insulin resistant?

Postby Teresa » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:32 pm

I think I could be insulin resistant because I get shaky and dizzy and start to feel nauseous when I haven't eaten for a few hours and I often crave sweet things and often feel tired. I am not overweight though. Does insulin resistance make you put on weight more easily, if so would the fact that I am not overweight indicate that I am not insulin resistant?

By the way, I have been reading up on PCOS and have read that eating 5 small evenly spaced meals throughout the day can help insulin resistance and eating foods containing chromium can help because chromium increases insulin sensitivity (e.g. wholemeal bread, rye bread, chilli, bananas, carrots, oranges, green beans, cabbage, mushrooms, strawberries). Hope this helps.

Teresa
Teresa

Postby Chrissy1588 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:05 pm

Hi Teresa,
I've not read anything that suggests you would feel hypoglacemic if you are insulin resistent - you may want to see a doctor about it as it could be something else. Insulin resistance can affect different people differently - it can be a factor in weight gain as many people eat more as a result of the excess insulin released; it can also affect your testosterone levels. Just because you are not over weight does not mean you cannot have insulin resistance - it is a factor that can go on for many years undetected and develop into full blown diabetes later in life if left untreated.

Chromium is a great start (you'll probably need to supplements, but not with the GTF form), but also try adding in Cinnamon as its particularly good for insulin.
Chrissy1588

Postby lharas » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:16 pm

HI Chrissy
You mentioned that insulin resistance can cause people to eat more - do you know more detail about this as I'm really interested and have not heard this before?
Many thanks
Sarah
lharas

Postby babygem » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:22 pm

HI Teresa,

I have insulin resistance and get the symptoms you describe, but this has been helped by Metformin and a low GI diet - not a cure though! I also get very irritable if I need to eat!

I am sure that I have read that it is possible to have insulin resistance and not be overweight, so being a healthy weight wouldn't necessarily mean that you don't have it. So it might be worth trying to get checked out by asking for a glucose tolerance test, which measures the amount of insulin your body releases after drinking a glucose solution. You might need to get referred to an endocrinologist to get this done and to get Metformin if this turns out to be what you need.

I agree the five small meals thing helps, preferably low GI as it keeps blood sugar levels fairly stable and stops your blood sugar dipping, which seems to be what triggers the symptoms for me.

Babygem x
babygem

Postby danni961 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:36 pm

Hi teresa,

I was diagnosed as having insulin resistance last week and i am naturally very slim. You can be slim and still have insulin resistance. The majority of those with IR are overweight but 1 in 3 with the condition are slim. I was diagnosed with PCOS 2 years ago and i was tested for insulin resistance when i was initially diagnosed and the test came back negative. However over the past yr the symptoms of IR began to get worse and i was diagnosed with it last week. So the moral of the story here is that it can creep up on you slowly and i think that anyone diagnosed with PCOS should be going for a glucose tolerance test once a yr to check their body's metabolism of sugar. Even if you were tested for IR when you got diagnosed with PCOS you should still go back and asked to tested again at least once a yr. And the symptoms of insulin resistance can include hypoglyceamia (low blood sugar) and hyperglyceamia (high blood sugar) The former makes you narky, jittery and snappy and the latter can make you fall asleep after meals and also chronically fatigued throughout the day. So both are symptoms of IR. Uncontrollable cravings for sweet things and never feeling satisfied after you have stuffed yourself are a classic symptom of IR. Because your cells are unable to utilize the glucose in your blood stream, they don't get "fed" and so you dont feel satisfied and when you don't feel satisfied you eat even more to try an make yourself feel satisfied. It's a vicious circle. Make sure you get yourself tested. Im now on metformin and it has helped me a lot. But you must combine this with exercise and a good low GI diet. I run every morning 6 days a week and the difference this makes to my energy levels is amazing. Good luck with everything.
danni961

Postby ktseahorse » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:24 pm

Blimey, is not knowing when to stop eating really a symptom of IR? I thought it was just that I had a 'problem' relationship with food! I'll stop being quite so hard on myself... :(
ktseahorse

Postby Splatts » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:16 pm

Yup, I think all of us larger ladies have thought about that 'bad relationship with food' whether we really have or haven't - but because that's what we have heard about/ read about for years.

I think that insulin resistence is a bit of a devil :twisted: and we ought to force 'it' out of the closet and stop feeling so baddddd :wink:
Splatts

Postby tashy33 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:31 am

Hi danni961,

I read your post with interest. You mentioned that you are a thin pcos girl and are taking Metformin.

I too am v slim & have pcos (diagnosed a few yrs ago). My gynae recently prescribed me Metformin too, but I have not taken it yet - am worried that I might lose further weight. Did you lose any more weight with the Metformin??? Also, I have quite bad skin, has the Metformin helped your skin???

Also did your doctor do any blood tests on you to see if Metformin is suitable for you? I have heard that before prescribing it, doctors should test the liver, hormones and insulin levels (mine didn't).

Natasha
tashy33

Postby mazz » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:28 pm

I've just been diagnosed with pcos. I've always been slightly underweight and it's much easier to lose weight than to put it on. Does that suggest I might have insulin resistance? A friend with pcos suggested maybe I have very high insulin levels - would that make sense and if that's the case is it a problem or is it good because it's stopping me from being diabetic? I'm still trying to get my head around how all this works!

tashy33 wrote:Hi danni961,

I read your post with interest. You mentioned that you are a thin pcos girl and are taking Metformin.

I too am v slim & have pcos (diagnosed a few yrs ago). My gynae recently prescribed me Metformin too, but I have not taken it yet - am worried that I might lose further weight. Did you lose any more weight with the Metformin??? Also, I have quite bad skin, has the Metformin helped your skin???

Also did your doctor do any blood tests on you to see if Metformin is suitable for you? I have heard that before prescribing it, doctors should test the liver, hormones and insulin levels (mine didn't).

Natasha
mazz

Postby londoner28 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:05 pm

hi there

found this thread interesting as my doc didnt think i could have IR as am normal weight PCOS. anyway am going for my IR blood test tomorrow. however am not having one of the tests where you drink the glucose drink and are left for 2 hours, just a normal blood test. anyone had experience of this - is it worth pressing for the glucose drink test as well??? can you show up IR on this and not the blood test?

any views very welcome.

xxx
TTC July 2008
Metformin - 1500mg
3 rounds of clomid, 1 of injections all BFN
Surprise natural BFP - December 2010 - daughter born 19/08/2011
Surprise natural BFP - July 2012 - son born 25/03/2013

londoner28

Postby babygem » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:32 am

I assume you must be experiencing symptoms linked to IR for you to have asked your GP about doing a test, especially as you are not overweight?

The advantage of the more complicated glucose tolerance test (GTT) - the one where you drink the glucose drink and then have one or more blood tests taken at intervals up to 2 hours after - is that this will look at how your insulin and also blood glucose levels rise after the drink and then fall as insulin goes about doing its job of bringing your glucose levels back down to normal. Needless to say it is also a lot more expensive than a regular blood test! In my opinion this is really the test to go for to measure IR.

With this in mind, I'm not sure what information can be gained about insulin resistance from a regular blood test, as it only gives a snap shot - a lot would depend on when and what you last ate for example.

Did your GP explain how the test he is proposing works/what exactly it is going to measure? Is it only going to measure blood glucose levels?Have you been told to fast before the test? You could check this out with staff at wherever you are going to go for the test beforehand perhaps?
babygem

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes