Help, confused big time.

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Help, confused big time.

Postby Econ8 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:46 pm

Hi. I am 22 and I weigh normal weight maybe even a tad under. I eat normally and I keep active enough. I got diagnosed with pcos about 5 months ago, the doctor said it was strange because of how lean I was but recently I've being doing a bit of research because I keep getting thrush infections. I am due to see the doctor but cannot get an appointment until next Tuesday. The more I've being reading I've seen things such as insulin resistance and pre diabetes and I was wondering is this possible because of my weight and lifestyle? But when I really think about it, it could be possible and possibly a genetic thing? I was just looking to see if anyone could shed some light on this because my age, weight and lifestyle is confusing me but the more research I've been doing is looking more like one of these above mentioned. Thanks in advance.
Econ8

Re: Help, confused big time.

Postby Hols969 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:15 pm

Yes most definitely, not all diabetics or pcos ladies are fat so ask for an glucose tolerance test (so blood test then sugary drink then blood test an hour or so later - they DO STILL do this so dont let them fob you off that they only do the fasting one).

Do you get things like the shakes or anything like that if you miss a meal?

PCOS is genetic and can come down both the male and female line (so it isnt ovary related at all, it is an endocrine disorder, so the name is misleading). My hubbie has it and we are pretty sure my son will be a carrier of it as well.

Diet can control it to a degree so cut out all the white carbs and as much sugar as poss (5g = a teaspoon of sugar) so read the labels (quite frightening how much sugar there is everything!!!)

Ask to be referred to an endocrinologist as pcos is their area (GP's unfortunately are still lacking in info) - also look at the NICE guidelines on pcos as it will give you an indication of what you should expect from your GP so at least you will know the facts prior to your appointment as they do often fob you off (you are lucky you are not fat as they always say lose weight and it will be resolved, which unfortunately is not the case for everyone!)

Good luck.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Econ8 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:41 pm

Thank you very much. This is very helpful! I don't take any shakes at the moment, I've been given painkillers for when my period comes, but I was due for a check up of the pcos in August but Tuesday id the first available appointment for me. I just started to look into when the thrush was really getting to me.
Econ8

Postby wrigglepup » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:22 pm

Hello Econ8,
Although I am not over weight, I am a bit obsessed about it's cause I can easily put weight on yet I do love my food! But anyway, the doctor doesn't really bother with me, I asked about a diabetes test and they just said that as my BMI was 23 I should be fine, I don't think it matters. What if I only ate chocolate bars & fizzy pop? Couldn't that cause IR?
Thrush can keep coming back sometimes, a few years ago I had it in my arm pits, my chest and the tops of my feet, and it seemed to last for months. I didn't have diabetes, so hopefully you are ok. X
wrigglepup

Postby Econ8 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:32 pm

Ah, thank you, good to hear x
Econ8

Postby Econ8 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:05 pm

So I went to the docs and got thrush treatment for 3 months and she also put me on the pill to see if that deals with the pain. But nothing about pre diabetes or insulin resistance which I'm still concerned about.
Econ8

Postby wrigglepup » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:00 pm

If it's worrying you maybe you should tell your doctor, I think I am ok, but lately I do feel tired during the day, well was, started the gym a couple of weeks ago. I explained to my trainer about this and he said about eating eggs and bacon for breakfast, don't know how it will effect my colestral, but haven't had the energy dips. I don't remember having these troubles when I was your age. Some of the symptoms of diabetes are needing to drink loads and weeing alot, especially at night, I do believe. I am hoping with low carb diet and exercise I can avoid getting diabetes, although don't know if everyone with pcos will be diabetic in the end. X
wrigglepup

Postby wrigglepup » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:42 pm

hello again, last night as I was getting ready for bed, I remembered why I probably didn't the energy dips years ago because I was having lots of hot chocolate drinks so I gave my blood sugar no time to dip anyway!, didn't stop them till I see the dietitian about PCOS.
wrigglepup

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes