Anyone else anxious and confused about what to eat?

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Anyone else anxious and confused about what to eat?

Postby Loz83 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:50 am

Hi all, I'm a newbie here. I was diagnosed with pcos a couple of weeks ago at 32. I have cysts on my ovaries and my hormones/glucose are all over the place. My gynaecologist has given me a diet plan to stick to (no white carbs or sugar, 3 square meals a day and 2 small snacks, eating when hungry) and he's going to check back with me in about 6 weeks. It's all come as a bit of a shock since I have 2 girls and none of the "usual symptoms" at least externally. My BMI is 24 and I've never been much above that even after giving birth. I've struggled with anxiety and depression most of my life but my blood works generally been ok until now. nobody noticed anything was wrong with me all this time! its all pretty confusing. My diet hasn't been great after having kids (too much wine last few months, I'm also a baker and have a bit of a sweet tooth, plus I love milk and yoghurt) so now I'm wondering if I gave myself Pcos! I must admit I don't know exactly what my blood work is other than that the fasting test (the one where you fast in the morning, eat and then test you again after a couple of hours) showed low blood glucose. It wasn't very helpful that when I asked about insulin resistance pretty much fobbed me off - so I'm basically none the wiser.

Anyway the more I read about what is best to eat the more confused and anxious I get so the more I read and then the more confused I get (and anxious!) ad infinitum. Food used to be a friend, now it's just giving my anxiety! The worst part is I know the anxiety is also making my hormones and health worse (which is the last thing an anxious person needs to hear! Ha!)

Anyone else going through something similar?
Loz83

Re: Anyone else anxious and confused about what to eat?

Postby Hols969 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:59 pm

We are born with pcos and it comes down both the male and female lines (Male baldness by 40 is a symptom) so you definitely wont have given it to yourself. They are pretty sure my hubbie has it and that my son will too (who is 9), he had a full set of pubes down below when he was born!!)

I tend to just eat healthily (most) of the time, some say dont eat this, dont eat that, but I eat everything in moderation (very limited on the white carbs though as they do make my symptoms worse) but there are so many differing views. I think pcos is tending to be noticed more as we are becoming more and more obese in the world so the symptoms are showing up more (they tend to get worse the fatter you are in some cases).

Anxiety and depression is another side effect of PCOS too - we are a lucky bunch of women!! I got PND quite badly so went on AD's, came off them probably when Noah was about 4 and I went back on them a year ago as the anxiety was getting OTT. Im quite content being on my 'mad' pills for a while as I feel normal generally. I am also on the combined contraceptive pill which helps keeps the highs and lows more level too.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Re: Anyone else anxious and confused about what to eat?

Postby wrigglepup » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:58 pm

Hello Loz83, yes I just really try to avoid white carbs too for most of the time.
I eat as naturally as possible and have ditched stuff like salad cream, Basically anything which may have added sugar. Having said that I do have the odd cheeky treat. I think it is just a case of not over doing it on the sweet stuff so the body doesn't become insulin resident. I think I am a bit miserable too not sure if that is pcos, not on anything, not sure if I should be?
Was kinda pleasantly surprised, just enrolled to a gym today, was ready to go into pcos and why exercise is good. The man had heard about it, he said exercise gets the insulin out of the muscles! Don't know about you but it gets monotonous explaining pcos to people I find. X
wrigglepup

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes