Glucose tollerance tests no longer available with the GP

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Glucose tollerance tests no longer available with the GP

Postby Hols969 » Wed May 21, 2014 9:37 am

Morning ladies, I went to the GP today to ask for this test and was told they no longer do it (and no GP surgeries do) and it is the one only blood test and it looks at your blood sugar over the previous three months, anyone else heard of this?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Re: Glucose tollerance tests no longer available with the GP

Postby Monsterpage » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:43 pm

I had the one looking at the blood over 3 months when I had gestational diabetes - I think it is called the HBA1C test (if it is the same one). It gives them a general idea how your blood has been performing over the past three months and can flag any issues. Not sure if it is as good as the GTT tests though as I'm not that knowledgeable on this issue. I have an appt with the GP to get the docket for my annual GTT test. Here they do it at the local hospital and the GP has to refer you.
Monsterpage

Re: Glucose tollerance tests no longer available with the GP

Postby apricot » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:22 pm

Hiya
My GP's did my HbA1C levels along with TSH, LH and FSH as standard so it may differ from place to place.
apricot

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes