Glucose/Sugar normal level range?

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Glucose/Sugar normal level range?

Postby emilylauraj » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi,

I've had recurring thrush for 3 weeks now despite 3 treatments.
Doctor was a little concerned in case I'm becoming diabetic, and sent me for a urine test.
However as they're not as accurate I went to the pharmacy and they test me with the lancet+machine.

My levels are 5.2mmols/l on a fasting test.
Every website it telling me is telling me different.....should I be concerned by this result?
I'm on Slimming World so consume as little sugar as I can, i.e. sugar-free drinks etc.
I've only just turned 18years old.

Thank you!
Emily
If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming.
emilylauraj

Re: Glucose/Sugar normal level range?

Postby Hols969 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:57 pm

It's white carbs that are a no no from a pcos and diabetes point of view. Have you had blood tests done or just urine?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby emilylauraj » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!
I've just received a call from a nurse at my doctors, and she said they've found traces of glucose/sugar in my urine, which means it's high :(
My finger prick test today said it was only a 5.2 and that was 12 hour fasting.
I've got to go again tomorrow for another one with a 14 hour fasting :(

I actually eat a lot of carbs in the form of rice and pasta, as I'm on Slimming World, and it's "ok" to eat on that.
Bit worried.....should I be?

Emily
If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming.
emilylauraj

Postby Hols969 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:19 pm

It isn't uncommon to have it shown in a wee sample, and 5.2 sounds pretty good to me (my mum is diabetic but Im no expert but it sounds ok I think). Ive never really understood Slimming World to be honest and, to me, it seems a strange diet from a pcos point of view, but lots of ladies have success on it so what suits one may not suit another. In my opinion carbs (white ones) are the route of all evil :-) I think from a pcos point of view it makes your symptoms worse but also I think it makes your cravings for sugar worse and PCOS bodies do not deal well with how the body converts white carbs.

I pretty much no longer have pasta or rice and no longer have cravings for carbs (I used to crave noodles from the Chinese), it took 3 weeks to kick the 'habit' and it was tough but worth it. If you are diabetic (or more likely insulin resistant) you will be able to control the symptoms generally by diet so you would need to switch to the brown stuff, if possible. Rice is ok but brown pasta is YUK!! GI is generally good to follow from a PCOS point of view and eat little and often as our body stores fat very easily so if you keep your metabolism higher then it does help.

The best test for insulin resistance is fasting, blood test, then a sugar drink and then a further blood test an hour or so later as it shows what your body is actually doing. Just a blood test can often be a little misleading. We have an increased risk of insulin resistance because of PCOS as well.

Let us know how the test goes.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby emilylauraj » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:53 am

Thank you all for your replies!

Had to go back today, there was a bit of a mix up, but she said that 5.2 is ok, but as I'd been told I had to come back I may as well do it again as I'd fasted too! First I had to just have a finger prick, then I didn't need one, and it ended up being a full blood test....not great for someone who doesn't like needles!!

She's tested my blood sugar, and also HbA1c.
I've been told to wait a couple of days for my results, so fingers crossed for Monday!
emilylauraj

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes