Prediabetic but just had high-ish blood sugar level?

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Prediabetic but just had high-ish blood sugar level?

Postby newcastlelou » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi, when I was pregnant last year with my son, I had GD treated via insulin therapy (both fast and slow acting). At my 6 week GTT, it came back normal but 3-4 months ago I had a HbA1C which came back indicating prediabetes. My GP advised to increase exercise, concentrate on adopting a more diabetic suitable diet and said to come back in Jan for another Hba1c.

I'll completely and fully admit that I've found it really hard this time to stick to a good diet/exercise regime. I'm constantly falling off the wagon. I don't need to lose weight but I have a really bad sweet tooth and so I never buy anything sweet to keep in the house but my husband and MIL have really bad habits of buying biscuits etc (which of course I then eat). It's my own fault and I need to give myself a total kick up the bum and sort myself out.

Well anyway, over the last couple of days, I've had a horrible stale taste in my mouth, so much so that it was keeping me awake last night. It's like a stale, old-person sort of taste, yuk. I do have chronic sinusitis and wondered if it was that, but when googling it, i read about ketone breath in diabetics. So I tested my bloods tonight (I technically don't need to do this but do occasionally with the meter I had from my GD) and it was 9.9. It's been in the 4.5 - 7.8 range on the occasions I've tested it since getting rid of the GD so this is the highest it's been. I know from the GD that this was definitely too high (although my highest ever was 21!)

I'm kicking myself now for being so laid back and stupid, I need to bloody well sort myself out. I'm not immediately concerned that I'm going to have a hyper or anything and I feel okay in myself. What should I do tomorrow though? Should I ring GP and ask for another Hba1c? I know it won't be normal, if I'm lucky I'm still prediabetic but TBH through my own inability to stick to a healthy diet, I think I've gone and sped up the diabetes.

I'm so mad at myself right now! Should I monitor my sugars for a few days and stick like glue to a good diet or am I prolonging the inevitable doctors appointment?

I'm off to kick myself.
Miserable, silly, naughty Lou :(
--------------------------------
Age 32
2008 - Started TTC
2009 - PCOS diagnosed, 3 Clomid cycles
2011 - 4 Clomid cycles, conceived on last
2012 - Gestational diabetes diagnosed
Aug 2012 - Beautiful and long-awaited son born!
Jun 2013 - Pre-diabetes diagnosed
Oct 2013 - Started TTC again

newcastlelou

Re: Prediabetic but just had high-ish blood sugar level?

Postby Chicken » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi

Sorry that I've not seen this thread before. I was like you and had GD then at 6 weeks a normal GTT.

A few months later I had a similar thing, tested my blood sugar and it was in the nines. I waited a few weeks but it stayed high and another GTT and Hba1c showed I was diabetic.

I would ask for another test, especially if you are TTC (make sure you tell them) as its vital to get your Hba1c to 48 or below before you conceive to reduce additional risks to the baby and you in pregnancy.

Don't stress, it's serious but easy manageable.

Good luck x
Chicken

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes