Confused about glucose levels

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Confused about glucose levels

Postby ElleBelle » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:21 pm

I have had blood sugar issues since I was a kid, I suffer hypoglycemic symptoms if I dont eat every 3-4 hrs, shaky, sweaty, weakness, dizzyness etc

I have had a few fasting glucose test over the years but they have come back normal, so my gp wouldnt take it any further. My sons genetic doctor asked my gp to further investigate, so I have been given a blood glucose moniter to use for a week and record some levels.. The nurse said it should be between 4-7 to be considered normal.
I was told to test either before a meal or two hours after.

I think Im suffering low blood sugar, the opposite of diabetes so my body produces too much insulin and drops the level down to quickly..I think?
I have taken some ranges and the lowest one I got was 4.1 when I delayed my normal mid-afternoon snack and was starting to feel very shaky and weak, this was about 3hrs after my last meal. Would they class this as abnormal?

My level seem to be around 4.8-5.2 before meals if Im eating as normal.

Im just so confused by the whole thing. I mean what is a normal level 2-3hrs after eating?

I want them to take me seriously as Im getting quite concerned about my health as I get older knowing I have these issues and what it may be doing in the long run. Do I let my blood sugar go below 4 to let them take me seriously?
*Fighting for diagnosis,told to eat low gi and given the pill for now....*
ElleBelle

Re: Confused about glucose levels

Postby Hols969 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:46 am

I think it sounds in the normal range I have to say. All you can do is tell them your concerns I think, perhaps as it is always around 4 it may be considered low, I dont know (my mum is diabetic so I only know a little about it). I would make sure you do some days with prior to meals and some with 2 hours after as they suggested just so you get a good range. I would only test as they have advised otherwise it is not a genuine test.

I think the majority of us get the same as you with the shakes and feeling dizzy if we havent eaten regularly enough and I know this is a sign of insulin resistance so I dont think how you feel is unusual, I make sure I eat every few hours to make sure I dont get this as well as I feel terrible when I do.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby ElleBelle » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks Holly, when it was 4.6 the nurse said it was within normal range but it may be individual to me if thats when I feel unwell. I think they will probably just advise me to eat every few hrs or something. Its obviously something linked as so many ladies on here seem to have similar problems. Im at the doctor on monday to discuss so Im hoping they can tell me more.
As I havent actually been diagnosed with pcos I think I will have to push for a scan if my blood come back normal again aswell.
*Fighting for diagnosis,told to eat low gi and given the pill for now....*
ElleBelle

Postby Hols969 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:50 pm

We have an increased risk of getting diabetes anyway and lots of us are insulin resistent which can cause the dizziness etc, I do eat every two hours even if it is fruit or veg as it does help reduce it.

I think a study has just been completed that confirms that there is a link between pcos and insulin resistence and heart disease (I think previously it was just an idea but the research nows show it is no longer a theory).
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes