Insulin Resistance; confused!!

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Insulin Resistance; confused!!

Postby Tulip » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:06 pm

Hi ladies! Newly diagnosed soul cyster here! (Love that name!)

I'm pretty sure I have insulin resistance. Not to self diagnose or anything, but I did the same with PCOS and I was right!haha. I've had dark patches under my arms, neck, back, and the creases of my skin for as long as I remember. I also have the god awful mood swings/tiredness too.

Is there anything natural that I should be doing to help? Particular vitamins or diet? Anything I should be avoiding or doing? It's near impossible to get an appointment at my doc's, I'll be waiting 3 weeks so in the meantime is there anything I should know, just so I can go to the doc's armed and ready?

Thank you, everyone :)
Tulip

Postby wellington » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:05 pm

A low gi diet to avoid blood sugar highs and lows is reccommended, I beleive. If you are insulin resistant, then metformin can help, but it's not licensed for pcos, so gps don't ways prescribe. Mine didn't test, but gave it to me when I nagged a bit. I think it's quite cheap. Oh, and lose wright if you need to (often easier said than done!)
TTC no 2 since December 2010: Clomid 100mg, 150mg, Ovarian Drilling oct 2011, more clomid 150mg
IVF #1: August 2012: 14 eggs, 6/7 fertlised, 1 blast, none to freeze. BFN. Recipient BFP
IVF #2: December 2012: 16 eggs, 7/8 fertilised, 5 blasts, no frosties, BFN. Recipient BFP
IVF #3: March 2013: 8 eggs, 3/4 fertilised, 2 Cleaved embryos transferred, BFN. Recipient BFN
IVF #4: November 2013: down reg on synerel, stims 22/11 150 menopur, 11+5 follies @ 14 mm. Egg collection likely 6/12.
wellington

Postby Tulip » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Thank you wellington!
I'll mention the drug and diet to my doctor so hopefully he'll take me seriously :)
Tulip

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes