Blood Glucose Testing System

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Do you measure your blood glucose level?

Yes
23%
No
77%

Total votes : 43

Blood Glucose Testing System

Postby TheMistress » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:57 pm

Hi there, wondering if anyone can recommend a glucose test kit that works well for them. I'm not diabetic, but certainly insulin resistant. Not helping myself a great deal with my current diet, and thought it's about time to start doing something about it. In the past, checking glucose level before and after meals was a useful thing for me, bit no idea where the test kit is anymore, so will have to get a new one. Any recommendations?
TheMistress

Blood glucose testing

Postby Sonia » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:21 pm

I have no knowledge of these things but I recall seeing them in Boots and Superdrugs.

Never thought of having a test done, but I do try to avoid taking too much sugar and not leaving it too long between meals otherwise I feel woozy. I guess the occasional bar of chocolate is not helping much but it tastes soooo good :lol:
Sonia

Postby Sonia » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:57 pm

Update to my previous post.

Went for my annual checkup at the hospital and mentioned my symptoms to the doctor who confirmed that I should eat little and often to avoid being hypoglycaemic (low sugar). Said I should give up cornflakes and stick with shredded wheat - I love cornflakes so that's going to be difficult :(
Sonia

Postby sally-ann » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:14 pm

I bought a testing kit from Boots as I thought I was going hypo (it turned out I had labrynthitis :lol: ). Anyway, when I came to needing replacement sticks for it, they were about £30!! the kit only cost me £15. the pharmacist said I needed to get them from my doctor on prescription. I didnt bother cos I was diagnosed with labrynthitis so stopped testing my glucose levels. They were low side of normal, though, when I did test them.
sally-ann

Re: Blood Glucose Testing System

Postby helen_mc_grath » Tue May 03, 2005 5:20 pm

TheMistress wrote:Hi there, wondering if anyone can recommend a glucose test kit that works well for them. I'm not diabetic, but certainly insulin resistant. Not helping myself a great deal with my current diet, and thought it's about time to start doing something about it. In the past, checking glucose level before and after meals was a useful thing for me, bit no idea where the test kit is anymore, so will have to get a new one. Any recommendations?

Hi

I have had PCOS for 15 years now and was diagnosed with diabetes three years ago.

From personal experiance i find the best gluco ( blood testing ) systems is the Accu Chek range. The accu chek compact can be purchased from almost any chemist for around £11. It comes with the finger pricker, needles, meter and strips. Although strips are free to diabetics on medication you should be able to get the strips over the counter........they do cost around £25 for 51 strips so a lot of people just go out and buy another monitor as and when they need it.

Hope this helps
:)
helen_mc_grath

Postby TheMistress » Wed May 04, 2005 11:13 am

Thanks for that. I think I'll get myself one of those... And use the advice regrading new kit instead of an expensive pack...

Cheers,
Yael (TheMistress)
"Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal." -- Martin Luther King Jr
TheMistress

Postby Mazarin » Thu May 05, 2005 6:59 am

I remember my mum getting a new one and she only got a few test strips with it, so much so we had to get the GP to do an emergency perscription for them... her old machine broke! (she's insulin) diabetic.... I keep meaning to buy one myself...
Mazarin

Postby helen_mc_grath » Thu May 05, 2005 8:12 pm

Mazarin wrote:I remember my mum getting a new one and she only got a few test strips with it, so much so we had to get the GP to do an emergency perscription for them... her old machine broke! (she's insulin) diabetic.... I keep meaning to buy one myself...

Hi

The accu check compact comes with 17 strips to test the blood.

Your mum would be able to get these strips free on perscription because of her diabetes.

Also diabetics are intitle to VAT off the cost of a glco monitor so it should only cost your mum about £10.............which is the price i pay from boots or tesco's

Hope this helps :)

(http://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/rewrite/c ... cle_48.htm)
helen_mc_grath

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes