Insulin resistance tests - do i ask my GP or my gyne Dr

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Insulin resistance tests - do i ask my GP or my gyne Dr

Postby KTee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:50 pm


This is my first time on Verity!

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2004, aged 24yrs. My husband and I are now receiving some fertility treatment and as usual the advice is to lose some weight (like i wasn't aware it was a problem!).

i have been thinking about IR for a while now. I've kind of tried to adopt a low GI diet, which has helped with the afternoon lethargy problem and falling asleep at my desk, but i still feel exhausted all the time and can't lose weight despite only eating about 1400 calories a day. Its taken me 8 months to lose 7lbs.

Do i go to my GP for the special IR test, or ask the gynacologist/ infertility consultant? i think i need to ask for the special test where you eat/ drink something sugary?

Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:42 pm

Postby Hols969 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:10 am

Are you eating little and often as this is a good way to control it, so dont have periods of no food.

Your GP can usually arrange an IR test. There seems to be some sort of link between vit D deficiency and PCOS which can make you tired so perhaps try taking some extra vitamins to see if that makes a difference.

There are two types of test, one is no food from 8pm and then a blood test the next day. The other is the same as that one but you then get given a sugary drink and a blood test done again about an hour later - this is the one you need to have done as the other often wont show it.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Verity Admin
Posts: 11345
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:19 pm

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest