diabetes, help please!!

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

diabetes, help please!!

Postby Shayrana » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:46 pm

Last edited by Shayrana on Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shayrana

Postby Hols969 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:57 pm

No not necessarily, a lot of it can be controlled purely by diet alone.

There are two types of test you can have, one is where you have nothing to eat or drink from 8 pm and then a blood test the following day and the other is the same as the above but you then are given a sugary drink after the first blood test and then they do another an hour later - this is the one you need done.

One thing I would say is that you need to eat more regularly with pcos anyway as we have a slow metabolism and you need to cut out all sugar and all processed food and only eat brown carbs. Eat something small every few hours as this will keep your blood sugar levels level which will help.

The chances are that you are not diabetic, you may be insulin resistent though so would just need to follow a low GI diet generally, but this is good for pcos anyway.

One thing I always think is that if someone says to me Im fat, its because they have low self esteem and want to make me as miserable as them so just ignore them and feel sorry for them as you are fine the way you are.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby petsnponies » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:49 am

Injections are usually only for type 1 diabetics, it would be more likely for you to have type 2 as pcos and type 2 go together (in a sort of vicious circle kind of way!)

metformin can help with insulin resistance and is commonly used to help ladies with pcos lose weight and feel better. I use the slow release version as the normal one didnt agree with me at all.

I'd go and get checked. then if you have got diabetes/insulin resistance then you can do something positive about it. Don't listen to anyone who blames you for this thats just stupid.

and i think prescriptions are free if your diabetic - they are if you're type 1 anyway like me.

Years ago I thought i might have type 1 diabetes but sat on it for months as i just couldn't believe it could be true or that i was a hypochondriac or something - but I was! Day to day living with diabetes isnt that bad anyway, even type 1. the sooner you know the sooner you can start feeling better.

good luck
Type 1 diabetes. DH SA OK. Natural ovulation. Tubes clear. 1000mg Metformin.
IVF Funding approved! Clomid in the mean time!
11/07/11 - BFP!! :)
petsnponies

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes